Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish hotel you ever stayed in.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Is it the lake hotel?

I've stayed in the dunboyne castle hotel, that was nice.
    Will be staying in mount Juliet new years eve and I think that may be my winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't really like the Europe for some reason. It's a bit much. It doesn't seem very Irish or something (maybe because it's run by Germans). It's like being in a different country in there. Views are amazing, but something a bit off for me! Worked there with an agency once in the restaurant years ago...cleanest kitchen I've ever been in!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I found the G in Galway a great room but the service lacking the night we stayed.

I've been there a good few times and the service has always been excellent. Things like that do put you off though. We thought Lyrath was lovely but we were really put off by all the screaming kids running around when we stayed there.

Best hotel that I've stayed in in terms of staff is a toss up between the Killarney Park and the Maryborough in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The Osprey in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Best - Cliff House Hotel.
    Name I'd like to get out there for just being brilliant - http://www.newforgehouse.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Never could understand paying out assloads of money for a very posh hotel.
    Adequate has always done me.
    A warm, quiet, clean room with a good comfortable bed and a good shower is a must though.
    Even if I won the lotto I doubt I'd alter much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Caybar wrote: »
    Ashford castle
    That may be one of the most luxurious hotels in the country but would it be the best?
    I mean the idea of having to wear a dinner jacket just to walk into a room, then you take it off is silly imo, plus getting a wagon wheel sized plate with a 3 inch slice of pork in the middle is silly, again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara, no contest.

Was slightly appalled when I heard Denis O'Brien has bought it, but he's apparently sworn that he won't change it.

He'd better not :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Maples guest house ,Glasnevin ,Dublin .Suited me fine ,breakfast included.I only splurge on Hotels in Asia where you get great value and are treated like a king .

Any of the suites at Dromoland Castle, or the Princess Grace Suite at the Shelbourne Hotel, would be my own favourites. Really luxurious special feel )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Heading to The Shelbourne next saturday for the wife's birthday...will report back on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

kryogen wrote: »
    Donegal

Lough Eske Castle

Harvey's point at lough eske is nicer. The biggest hotel rooms (and beds) I've ever stayed in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Kilmurvey House (B&B, but still) on the Aran Islands was very nice. Haven't stayed in many Irish hotels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I loved the lake hotel in kerry, and radisson farnham is amazing too.
    Wasn't pushed on druids glen
    Dying to go to monart and that 5* place in kerry and powerscourt R-C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

The Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The River Court hotel in Kilkenny with castle view rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kelly's in Rosslare is superb - food, service, everything.

Honestly though - and no criticism of Kellys - I would rather have a few days in somewhere simpler but with character and interesting atmosphere and things to do. I really like the ringfort in the Irish National Heritage park for example...no service, basic accommodation and make your own food over an open fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

DLMA23 wrote: »
    The Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, Waterford

Fierce fancy that place. I had a mate who worked there put me up there when I was cycling from London to Kerry. I reckon they had a double think when my unwashed smelly self rocked in through the front door in cycle shorts. 20 minutes later I had my washing strung across the room. Made me smile. Nice brekkie as well. I even swiped the scones the people on the table next to me left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Fierce fancy that place. I had a mate who worked there put me up there when I was cycling from London to Kerry. I reckon they had a double think when my unwashed smelly self rocked in through the front door in cycle shorts. 20 minutes later I had my washing strung across the room. Made me smile. Nice brekkie as well. I even swiped the scones the people on the table next to me left behind.

Isn't your friend lucky :rolleyes: to have a friend like you!
    Honestly I cannot stand this type of bog Irish attitude.
    You couldn't just enjoy the hotel and be grateful to your friend, could you?
    No... you had to act the smart, cute hoor, entitled, "shure every loves us and will let us away with it", Paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Kelly's in Rosslare, love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Monart Spa hotel in Enniscorthy.5 star that was voted the 3 best spa hotel in the world.it's really relaxing and the grounds are unbelievable.best of all it was free. We were doing a charity cycle from cork to Dublin and our boss was friends with the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

My pocket money says the OP is staying in the Aghadoe Heights in Killarney :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Would have to say the k club is top of the list with powerscourt a close second.
    And a recent stay in castle Leslie puts it up there too absolutely superb!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Farnham Estate in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Blingy wrote: »
    Would have to say the k club is top of the list with powerscourt a close second.
    And a recent stay in castle Leslie puts it up there too absolutely superb!!!

Blingy by name,blingy by nature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Dromoand Castle was class, stayed there twice about 5 years ago. Lyrath in Kilkenny was good but staff not on same level as Dromoland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ballynahinch Castle in Connemara, no contest.

Was slightly appalled when I heard Denis O'Brien has bought it, but he's apparently sworn that he won't change it.

He'd better not :mad:

We checked this out recently. Beautiful building but I think the inside is a bit stuffy. i.e the reception bar area.
    priced it for a wedding.... bit out of the price bracket...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

3 outstanding hotels outside the City and all very reasonable -

Clontarf Castle.
    Castleknock
    Radisson St Helens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Lyrath in Kilkenny was good but staff not on same level as Dromoland.

Lyrath is lovely, but I agree about the staff.
    I asked for earl grey tea, and it took the waiter about 30 minutes to come back to me with a problem.
    Apparently they only had it in loose leaf form, and no one knew how to make it.

He suggested bringing me hot water and the box of tea!!!!! I have him a quick run down on brewing tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

Speedsie wrote: »
    Lyrath is lovely, but I agree about the staff.
    I asked for earl grey tea, and it took the waiter about 30 minutes to come back to me with a problem.

Probably popped out to Super Value to buy the box of tea during that time as well.

Advertisement