Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat drinks a lot of water

Options
  • 14-02-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

My parents 13 year old male cat has been drinking a lot or water for the last year or so. Put down a bowl of water for him & he'll knock it back in seconds. Now whenever he hears the tap running he walks over to the sink & meows for water. He also urinates quite a lot. Apart from these issues hes in relatively good shape & trust me he's spoiled like a child.

A year ago a vet said his kidneys weren't in great shape due to his age. Is there any medication you can give a cat to ease this problem? We don't like the idea of our cat being in discomfort when theres something we could do to help him.

Any advice welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Is he eating excessively too?

Drinking and urinating alot is whats called PU/PD (polyuria/polydipsia) and generally is kidney related but can be a sign of Diabetes mellitus or hyperthyroidism in cats. He shouldnt be "begging" for water and if it was me id be asking for blood tests (glucose and thyroid levels) at the vet. The knock on affect of badly or undiagnosed diabetes is nephropathy (damage to kidneys) and other parts of the body.

Advertisement