Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please: Stray(?) cat with an injured leg.

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Advice please.

I spotted a black cat limping past about half an hour ago - it's currently in a shed with food, water and somewhere to rest (I can't take it inside because I've 2 indoor adult cats). Thing is, I can't tell if it's in pain. There's no sign of cuts or any other recent injury but it can't put weight on one of it's hind legs.

I'm aware that cats sometimes purr to comfort themselves and the feckers are great at hiding when they're sick or in pain. This thing appears to be super friendly, purring like mad and is kneading like crazy and climbing all over me like a child.

I'm concerned that it could be in pain & there's no vet open near me until tomorrow. I've got to leave in an hour or so and could be gone for a few hours.

Anyone any advice? Not much I can do with no vet open but I'd hate to think it's in pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Could you try to ring the vet? He/she might be able to give you some advice.
    Where are you based? There are probably animal shelter(s) in your area that would be willing to help.
    Well done for taking in the cat and helping it. I hope it gets better
    Also, heres a thread that you might find helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056165453

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

sotisme wrote: »
    Could you try to ring the vet? He/she might be able to give you some advice.
    Where are you based? There are probably animal shelter(s) in your area that would be willing to help.
    Well done for taking in the cat and helping it. I hope it gets better
    Also, heres a thread that you might find helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056165453

Unfortunately, there's no local shelter that will take cats (dogs only) and the vet clinic can't do much either for strays. That's how I've ended up with 2 cats :)

This 'new' cat could, of course, have a home but it appears to be an outdoor cat and I've not seen it around before.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

You could take pictures of it and put posters around the area. Someone could be looking for it.
    Since there are no signs of cuts it could have been in a small road accident.
    The fact that it is very friendly ect. it doesn't sound in too much pain
    I think it will be ok until the vets tomorrow :)
    Well done to you for taking care of him/her
    Please let us know how she/he gets on

Back home after a few hours away. 'Cat' didn't seem upset at being locked in and was straight up on to me, kneading away and absolutely covering me in saliva (or whatever the cat equivalent is). Beginning to think that her leg 'injury' is not recent.

The door of the shed was open and she went outside and appeared to be wandering off. While she doesn't appear to be in pain, she certainly has 'difficulty' walking. Really didn't know whether I should prevent her heading off or not but she eventually came back in to explore the shed further.

Pic
    Cat.jpg

For security reasons I can't leave the shed door open but I might risk it tonight but I'm in two minds about letting her wander off should she wish to.

Plan is to try and get an appointment at the vet clinic tomorrow so they can take a look at her leg.

Posted twice - Stoopid mobile broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Yogi_Bear

The cat looks like it's in good condition - shiny coat etc (or is that just the camera flash :D) With any luck the cat could be microchipped - the vet will be able to check for that. Cats can lose their collars all the time but not their microchips. From what you are saying it doesn't sound like the cat is in pain at all.:)

Yeah, it's coat is in good condition (no flash in that pic). Didn't notice a microchip earlier but I'll have a feel shortly.

Dammit, I wish I new if this cat had a home or was a stray (I'm leaning towards stray). I'm already feeding 2 other strays at work - no wonder people think I'm nuts.

Any mark/ring/flattening of fur around its neck which might indicate that it had been wearing a collar at some stage? Also, if he's so friendly he probably hasn't been living on the mean streets all of his life. He seems to be used to people.

Yogi_Bear wrote: »
    Any mark/ring/flattening of fur around its neck which might indicate that it had been wearing a collar at some stage? Also, if he's so friendly he probably hasn't been living on the mean streets all of his life. He seems to be used to people.

Was just with if for a few mins; no obvious signs of microchip or a collar - mine wear collars so I'm familiar with the ring they leave. I'd love if it had a home but I'm becoming convinced it's a stray that's just happy to have bumped into someone friendly with food.

I panicked earlier because I thought it might have been in pain. Thankfully doesn't appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

cats are amazing at hiding pain, as showing it shows vulnerability. I have a cat here who is limping on a hind leg for the past 5 days, gave him pain killers to try and sort it out but no luck so vet tomorrow. He has no visible injuries, no cuts or grazes and its not broken but its definitely not the way it should be. I volunteer with an animal rescue group so have a lot of experience with injuries and ailments. What area are you in?

It can be very difficult to feel for a chip because they can travel in the body and not stay where they were originally injected and sadly, in Ireland, most cats are not chipped (and many dogs too for that matter). At least the cat is safe now and in good hands. The rescue group I volunteer with is Meath based so if you are in that area, you can give me a shout or send me a private message, and we can help out

• Advertisement

I'm in Monaghan.

S/he doesn't display any sign off pain at all, I am still concerned though because I know they're good at hiding pain. When I go in to check on her, she's desperate to just sit on my lap and knead & suckle all over me. She doesn't display any discomfort, well none that I notice, when she's moving about on my lap.

I was going to contact the shelter in Virginia - they rehomed a young cat for me about 2 years ago. They will not pts, which is good,but they're always swamped.

Whereabouts in Meath are you based? Another cat is not an option for me but I'm determined to help find this one a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

Are you talking about Kitten Cottage in Virginia? That is our charity cattery so give Maire a call and hopefully she will have space, failing that, let me know and we'll see how we can help

Are you talking about Kitten Cottage in Virginia? That is our charity cattery so give Maire a call and hopefully she will have space, failing that, let me know and we'll see how we can help

Yeah, that's the place. I sent her a text last night and left a voice message a short while ago. I hate leaving the cat in the shed knowing my two are sprawled out infront of the heat in comfort. Hopefully this one can find a good home.

Went home at lunchtime to check on 'cat'. Every time I opened the door she scooted outside. I let her go where she wanted, keeping an eye on her while letting her know I was still there. She appeared to be heading off with some confidence and made efforts not to be lifted when I had to head back for work. She certainly was not happy about being put back in the shed.

Part of me thinks I should just let her go on her merry way if that's what she wants to do. Would that be the right thing to do? Unfortunately, I can't leave the shed open when I'm not around, so should she return for food / shelter she won't be able to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

If you leave the food outside the shed door though the cat might be inclined to come back or hang around at least?

Then again it could get eaten by birds or another cat but well wortha shot!

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If you leave the food outside the shed door though the cat might be inclined to come back or hang around at least?

Then again it could get eaten by birds or another cat but well wortha shot!

Yep, was considering doing that if she 'demanded' release but last night & first thing this morning she was quite settled. Might be different when I go home at lunchtime.

She's eating regularly (although her poo is very runny - probably due to a sudden change in diet), and I introduced her to Whiskas cat milk last night which she loves. It looks like her leg is not a bad as I first thought; her limp is not as pronounced and she's well able to climb stuff & chase string. So that's good.

Of course, I hate the fact that I'm getting attached to the damn thing... :(

Quick update:

'She' is actually a 'he'.

He was with the vet on Saturday last for a good check over: coat & teeth healthy, temp a little above normal but no obvious signs of injury other than a small scab on his belly which may have been from a bite.

He was given an anti-inflammatory injection plus an oral anti-inflammatory for the following 4 days. Seems to have worked wonders because he's like a spring lamb and very hard to catch to bring back inside. Assuming he doesn't run off, the plan is to bring him back to the vet later this week for 'the snip', and while he's sedated he'll get a more detailed examination and possibly an X-ray.

After that I don't know because I don't have the ability to let him come and go as he pleases. He will have to be either locked in, or locked out, while I'm away.

Quick update:

After that I don't know because I don't have the ability to let him come and go as he pleases. He will have to be either locked in, or locked out, while I'm away.

Sounds like he's flying now. If you would like him to have access to indoors while you're out have you considered installing a cat flap? We have one & it's great - our two moggies come & go at will. We don't have to worry about them. They come in to eat and sleep on their radiator hammock. And they go out to "do their business". :D Haven't needed a litter tray for years thankfully. We can lock it too if we do want to keep them in or out for whatever reason.

Yogi_Bear wrote: »
    have you considered installing a cat flap?

Not that simple unfortunately. I have 2 permanently indoor cats and either all will have to meet or be kept apart. New cat would have to become a full time indoor cat and I don't know if he'll sign up to that.

The resident cats are aware that there's another around and I'm hoping they're not going to get stressed. New boy got a whiff of them earlier but was only briefly curious as he's probably used to lots of different smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Aww, another stray cat success story, fantastic! Fair play to you for looking after him, he's gorgeous!
    With regards to your outdoor/indoor problem... not sure if you've read the thread about my own experience in helping a stray cat, but what we're doing now is this: The cat is outside during the day, and we let her in at night, she sleeps in the downstairs bathroom. No cat flap, so it's outside all the way during the day, whatever the weather. Considering that she was a stray, though, she'll be used to being outdoors, I figure...
    Maybe you could do something similar with himself, feed him in the evenings/mornings in the shed, or outside it, and leave him out for the remainder of the time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement