Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best wc ever?

• 07-10-2007 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

personally with the exception of our disgraceful play, i personally am loving this world cup!!! all the upsets... it realy i think shows how the rest of the world is catching up on rugby, its no longer just a few select teams, the amount of upsets today alone, i mean NZ and OZ gone in quaters? ha who realistically looked at the odds of 2 of the worlds "strongest"(and i use term loosely) teams could lose as such... but they did! the faveourites, with exception of SA are nearly all gone!
    i love this!! i love the fact that nothing is in concrete! france had nothing to lose and all to gain, but were effectively climbing the mountain that is NZ, and in the end... they done it! England after a string of bad performances all year are in the semi's...
    if only ireland could of done it...

Comments

As Ronan Keating would say."Fair play!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

In terms of quality games it's been lacking IMO. Tonga v SA and Wales v Fiji were crackers, but many of the games disappointed, aside from the obvious mismatches.

Last night was great though, well the second half. Really felt involved! I didn't get a chance to be as excited as that when watching Ireland play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! We were shambolic; the 2-times champions AND the best team in the world both out at the quarters; and as Bugler said, not really that exciting.
    "With the exception of our disgraceful play" is a pretty big reason not to be enjoying it, in itself. I really am up for no-one from here on in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I think its great a WC especially seeing the likes of Argentina & Fiji do so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

France really deserved to win and as much I it pains me to admit it so did England.They really showed a desire that is sadly lacking in the Irish team.
    NZ and Aus are gone from the cup and its great for northern hem rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Yesterday was,imo, perhaps one of the greatest days in the era of modern professional rugby. Accusations that the game/tournament is predictable and staid have been laid completely to rest. The fact that two SH superpowers have been sent packing, against all prediction/punditry, by NH teams playing good honest hard tackling, hard rucking, never-say-die rugby, nothing short of amazing.

The emergence of Argentina as a true power in rugby demanding inclusion in one or other of the big tournaments (couldn't care less which one, just get 'em in there) can also only be good for the future of world rugby. The so called minnows have also been nothing short of inspirational. Just shows what a bit of funding and time in camp together can do for any team/nation.

As long as the IRB get their collective finger out and build on this momentum, not only is this one of the most unquestionably exciting/brilliant/unpredictable WC's it may also finally mark the day when rugby's global pretensions are finally realised.

Unquestionably the best WC ever and if current trends continue, roll on 2011! (just a pity we didnt turn up at the party, but hey-ho, onwards and upwards....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

davyjose wrote:
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! We were shambolic; the 2-times champions AND the best team in the world both out at the quarters; and as Bugler said, not really that exciting.
    "With the exception of our disgraceful play" is a pretty big reason not to be enjoying it, in itself. I really am up for no-one from here on in.

Oh come on, the world cup is about good rugby. Ok we would have wanted Ireland to do better but they didnt, live and learn. If you are not a person who just enjoys a good exciting game of rugby like most true supporters then why bother supporting.

Its these big teams getting it put to them that makes it a good sport to watch. Would you be happy for NZ to just sail through to the finals thrashing everyone and noone would be excited.

I say "ALLEZ LES BLUES" as they deserve getting to the final by overcoming the loss against argentina and fighting back and beating, arguably, the best team in the world (bunch of chokers!!! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its cracking, a predictable progression to the final is not in anyones interest (except the presumed favourites of course) and Argentina should be invited to play the 7 Nations from 2009.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

mike65 wrote:
    Its cracking, a predictable progression to the final is not in anyones interest (except the presumed favourites of course) and Argentina should be invited to play the 7 Nations from 2009.

Mike.

Hear, hear...reckon we should get a petition going and deliver it to the bleedin' IRB....

How about a competition for the 'lesser' NH nations...play off system for top 4. Top 2 get to play in the nations tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hmmm... Not so sure it was the greatest, quite a few boring matches, especially involving NZ and Aus... The exception were the two quarter finals which were great matches. A few other good ones too I suppose...

But I'm wondering whether to blame it on ITV's coverage... It's hard to raise your excitement with monotonous commentators and the crowd volume turned way down... And next to no decent analysis (apart from just explaining what they did for the tries)... Bring back Hook & Pope! And as much as people don't like Ryle Nugent, and he sounds like he's trying to take a dump, he's passionate about the game he's commenting on or at least makes it sound that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I wouldn't say best ever, there have been some good high drama games but there have been too many miss matches and pointless games for it to be the best ever, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

daveirl wrote:
    Agreed. I think there's been some great matches and generally speaking the minnows gave a good account of themselves. Just think of Georgia, Tonga and Fiji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the group stages have been great, especially the so-called minnows putting it up against the bigger teams.

I thought they all hugely impressed.

The Japan v USA 12-12 game was exciting, as was the Tonga v South Africa 25-30, and Fiji beating Wales was great, the two games yesterday were also exciting.

If it all went to script, what would be the point watching

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

1995 was in my opinion the best and its is regarded by most as the best world cup to date
    however i remember fondly the 1987 world cup , i was very young but i remember getting up in the wee hours to watch ireland play australia in the quater final
    i also remember the all blacks being in a different league to everyone , looking back they were probably brilliant for there time but would be hammered now
    you often look back with fondness to events from your childhood so the 1987 one was a good one for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I agree its the best WC ever. France v NZ was the best game of the tournament. Many 'so-called-weaker' teams such as Fiji, Tonga, Argentina, Georgia are all coming out with loads of credit.

The quality, and competitiveness of the games at the QF level is really good. I've not even missing Ireland being out at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

fiji played a stormer!!! had myself on edge of seat!!! even in last 10 mins, 2 scores down... there was that air that fiji could still do it! it was amazing IMO ah i loved it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Without a doubt the best I have seen. Even with ABs exit (boo hoo). You will (and always have) get mismatches in this format but the so called minnows have showed passion and committment and teams like Fiji, Tonga and Argies have shown that the game is still about desire to win. Crowds fantastic and some truelly exiting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gadaven

Without a doubt the best I have seen. Even with ABs exit (boo hoo). You will (and always have) get mismatches in this format but the so called minnows have showed passion and committment and teams like Fiji, Tonga and Argies have shown that the game is still about desire to win. Crowds fantastic and some truelly exiting games.
    same for me, i do agree with you !
    ( allez les bleus ! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I fully agree with daveirl! I find myself fully agreeing with him a lot lately for some reason...

IMO, this RWC has been exceptional! And if you disagree, please state which RWC was better instead of just saying "No it's cr@p".

It has been very well organised, every stadium, for every single game was packed and we have seen some beautiful rugby being played! Perhaps it would have been more exciting from an Irish perspective if Ireland had done better... But as a whole, I think this has been an amazing and exciting event and I hope it stays that way until the final whistle on the 20th October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I fully agree with daveirl! I find myself fully agreeing with him a lot lately for some reason...

IMO, this RWC has been exceptional! And if you disagree, please state which RWC was better instead of just saying "No it's cr@p".

It has been very well organised, every stadium, for every single game was packed and we have seen some beautiful rugby being played! Perhaps it would have been more exciting from an Irish perspective if Ireland had done better... But as a whole, I think this has been an amazing and exciting event and I hope it stays that way until the final whistle on the 20th October!

co-signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

"every stadium, for every single game was packed"

Except Murrayfield for Romania:D

Seriously though, I agree with DayJose, I think it's been a pretty poor World Cup in terms of quality, but good for entertainment/for the neutral.

The favourites choke yet again:D, Australia were ordinary, Wales & Italy both poor, nd Ireland didn't even show up:mad: (What makes it worse about Ireland's elimination is that I think this would be one of the easier World Cups to win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P992

I think you're wrong in terms of quality. Most people are on the edge of their seats for these matches. For example, France v New Zealand was one of the best games I've seen for a long time. The quarter finals have changed the whole run of things. England are one of the most unpredictable sides, or the most, in the world of Rugby.

This World Cup has been one of the best ever, apart from us getting knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think you're wrong in terms of quality. Most people are on the edge of their seats for these matches.

How does excitement equate with quality? You could have tension in one of the worst possible games. Christ I was on the edge of my seat for Ireland v Georgia, that doesn't make it a good game.

Last night's game while exciting, was no spectacle of good rugby, save for solid defence. England, except for Robinson, have all the cutting edge of a bathroom sponge. Hipkiss also adds something different, he should be the starting 13.

The most striking thing about this WC for me has been the resurgence of the garryowen and the drop goal as the weapons of choice, as limited teams seek limited tactics to allow them to overcome more adept opposition. The tactics of the limited sides isn't really the problem, the problem is that the "better" sides seem completely unwilling to engage in the type of play that would best suit their talents. In fact they seem convinced that they must play them at their own game.

Thus we get France picking a centre at FB, because he can kick the ball really really far. How did that work out last night?

I will watch tonights semi-final with interest. Because another stodgy game and we're going to have the "best WC ever", in which most games in the knockout stages were utter toss. And I defy anyone to tell me otherwise. Would you show Argentina v Scotland to your kids? Or England v Aus? I wouldn't.

I have revised my opinion on who I want to win the WC. I now want SA to win, when not too long ago they would have been my last choice. I hope they overcome Argentina, and then wallop England (again) in the final. Why? Because ultimately my views on the NH/SH divide come second to my love of rugby. IMO, this has been a dispiriting WC, even leaving Ireland's exit aside.

Advertisement