Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

should i bring my pike to the protest march

Options
  • 26-03-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭

Well, this came up in a conversation here earlier

So I ask the good people of AH

Should I bring my pike?

I had it made for the 1798 commerations and personally I think it would be an excellent thing to bring along as its a powerful symbol of defiance and a reminder of our history to some who might have forgotten

Howevew my friend says that bringing a 2.8M pole with 800mm of pointy steel on top of it could be perceived as possession of a deadly weapon and probably nd up with it being confiscated and me in court.

So which is it folks, a glorious piece of our history to be proudly displayed in memory of the great men like beauchamp bagnel harvey

A provacative piece of copbait to be shunned in deference to our overlords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I was wondering the same thing about my suicide vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wouldn't blame the gardai for keeping a close eye on you, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only if you're from Wexford OP

They have the claim over the pike :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I thought you were a fish enthusiast with a pet pike :(

I am sure a pike would love a good protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

OP I live my a simple philosophy in these matters. Don't be a twat. Leave the pike at home. Good man.

*And leave the hyperbole at home while you're at it. You're not Winston Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    OP I live my a simple philosophy in these matters. Don't be a twat. Leave the pike at home. Good man.

*And leave the hyperbole at home while you're at it. You're not Winston Smith.

He may have been joking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You probably won't get pitchcapped for posession of a Pike but it probably wont end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Should I bring my pike?

I had it made for the 1798 commerations and personally I think it would be an excellent thing to bring along as its a powerful symbol of defiance and a reminder of our history to some who might have forgotten

Howevew my friend says that bringing a 2.8M pole with 800mm of pointy steel on top of it could be perceived as possession of a deadly weapon and probably nd up with it being confiscated and me in court.

So which is it folks, a glorious piece of our history to be proudly displayed in memory of the great men like beauchamp bagnel harvey

do bring it... also paint your face blue as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Plenty of Pikes near Vinegar Hill today:(

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Only if you're from Wexford OP

They have the claim over the pike :cool:

carlow also had pikemen... but someone from the pale ratted them out to the brits and they all got slaughtered at potato market in carlow.....

follow me up ta carlow !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Bring all your friends then you can be the Pikes in Nikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Bringing a pointed weapon along with a protesting mob that may turn riotous (you never know).
    What could possibly go wrong?

Gmol wrote: »
    Bring all your friends then you can be the Pikes in Nikes

bring lesbian motorcyclists too

Pikes in Nikes with Dikes on Bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

bring lesbians too

Pikes in Nikes with Dikes

lesbian Junkies

Pikes in Nikes with Dikes and spikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Continuity Wolfe Tone

Yes, great idea, just dull the top of it so its not lethal.

I think it's a fantastic idea and a reminder of the proud history of resistance we have. It will also look really well and attract attention.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm pretty sure you would land yourself in a lot of trouble for bringing a lethal weapon to a protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Gmol wrote: »
    lesbian Junkies

Pikes in Nikes with Dikes and spikes

Then the cops can say

'Yikes its the Pikes in Nikes with Dikes and spikes'

Morlar wrote: »
    Then the cops can say on their radio Mics

'Yikes its the Pikes in Nikes with Dikes on bikes with spikes'

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Yes I am from Wexford.

I think I might see about knocking something up out of mdf and a broom handle instead of a genuine lethal weapon. After all its the symbolism i want not the agro, plus i'd be really annoyed if something happened to the real one

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

im glad i read through this post as i was just about to report you to the inland fisheries:-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll bring puke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Morlar wrote: »
    Then the cops can say

'Yikes its the Pikes in Nikes with Dikes and spikes'
    if they bring some sidecars it would be

if only the OP's name was Micheal

'Yikes it's Mike the Pike in Nikes with spikes and Dikes on bikes and trikes'

if they bring some sidecars it would be

if only the OP's name was Micheal

'Yikes it's Mike the Pike in Nikes with spikes and Dikes on bikes and trikes'

I think they'd be caught off-guard & call in a criminal psychologist.

"Yikes Psych! Its Mike the Pike in Nikes with spikes and Dikes on bikes and trikes!"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wear a full suit of 15th century plate armor. Get all Medieval on their ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rob the monopoly box and bring a "Get out of jail free" card as well, you can't be too careful these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Should I bring my pike?

Don't be stupid, that kind of thing is dangerous in a large crowd. You are only interested in the symbolism so make a wooden or use a plastic one. A broom handle may still be taken from you though so use a cardboard tube.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

carlow also had pikemen... but someone from the pale ratted them out to the brits and they all got slaughtered at potato market in carlow.....

follow me up ta carlow !!!!
    Some people in Carlow were ratted out by other people in Carlow. Paddy the pointer ,(not the plasterer),was a Carlow man. And let's not forget what happened Fr. John Murphy....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Haha, I'd love to that.

Right lads, we hold our ground! Stones, petrol bombs, we don't budge for nothing. Can't let the plebeians ruin the Lord(mayor)s gala. We've TRAINED FOR THIS!

Uh, sarge, look behind you. Do we baton charge their line of pike or wait until after those sabre wielding cavalry rout our horse patrol?

Advertisement