Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand targets Barnes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I was up for NZ, didn't try to hide it, and was pi$$ed when they lost, but the Kiwi mindset of blaming everyone but themselves IS irritating. This is a joke. NZ didn't plan on winning by a few points - who are they trying to kid. The bottom line is they lost because they didn't score as many as they thought they would - not because they thought the French wouldn't score many.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Was only thinking today that I haven't seen any Kiwi news channel mention or debate the fact Carter was played whilst carrying an injury and was well below par. A risk taken that paid a heavy price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...really sad actually. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

...really sad actually. Pathetic.

That's your opinion but I know that if Ireland or any other nation had lost a crucial match like that based on a forward pass, etc. people would have expressed a similar reaction.

The Kiwis can't blame the ref as the ABs did not deliver on the night but still that forward pass was a crucial moment in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The NZ media are a pretty uncompromising lot judging by a number of the articles i've seen. :eek:

If he was planning a trip, I'd say probably not the best time for Wayne Barnes to go zorbing in Rotorua.

Mind you are we any better? If Tana Umaga came here he might well be faced with a lynch mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

ThomasH wrote:
    but still that forward pass was a crucial moment in the game.

wasn't the quick throw in that led to the NZ'ers first try not straight so whats the difference.

Wayne Barnes wanted for impersonating a referee lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's ridiculous... How petty can you be?? The only people to blame for the All Blacks losing are the All Blacks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Mind you are we any better? If Tana Umaga came here he might well be faced with a lynch mob.
    Doubtful, was he not back since? A lot of that was down to Woodward's and Campbell's pathetic spinning, which is what this seems to be in light of the next World Cup.
    I think everybody has a go at the ref when they lose. I thought McAllistair deserved the yellow card for a blatant block, the only error of note was the forward pass, but there's plenty of them per game. It's hard to feel sorry for them when they go into a game they expect to win by 30 points and then lose because when the chips were down no-one on the field had the balls to take the game by the scruff of the neck and set up the drop goal, in other words they choked again. Be interesting to see if Barnes makes it to the next world cup in New Zealand, I'd imagine he will have to referee them again soon in a test match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ThomasH wrote:
    That's your opinion but I know that if Ireland or any other nation had lost a crucial match like that based on a forward pass, etc. people would have expressed a similar reaction.
    They didn't loose the game because of one forward pass. They lost because they didn't score enough. It was a great match, and after almost getting a try after 26? phases I was shouting for them. Personally, at that point I wanted to see the ball go over and possibly one of the best tries of the cup. But it didn't and they lost.

You'll always has disgruntled people, but if the Irish ever set up a web site such as that one, not only would I be very surprised, I'd be ashamed and embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

During the Ireland v NZ match in November 2005, Umaga was not playing but the camera focused on him in the stand, everyone in the stands started to boo, but it was followed straight away by laughter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Linford wrote:
    During the Ireland v NZ match in November 2005, Umaga was not playing but the camera focused on him in the stand, everyone in the stands started to boo, but it was followed straight away by laughter...

most irish people dont have a bog who tana umaga is as most irish people only take a passing interest in rugby
    barnes the referee the other night were he to visit nz would be as recognisable there as ones john paul the 2nd was when he visited here in 1979
    rugby being the kiwis religon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Kiwis in total denial. Poor old Barnes a convenient scape goat for their lack of bottle under pressure. The old AB's got away with a fair bit of skullduggery themselves, but that's quickly forgotten...Just shocked at being refereed without the usual due deference to their royal rugby selves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

They won't win a WC for a good while until they realise that they themselves are to blame most of the time.

Watched the second half again last night, NZ twice got within 5 metres of the french line and didn't register a score. Ok they got one try in a different instance but France made it to the NZ line 3 times also and came away with 17 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Don't lump us all in together. I am gutted about the loss but don't see any point in blaming the ref. He AND his touchies may not have had the greatest game but anyone who knows rugby has to admit he made less mistakes than the ABs did. There are idiots everywhere and anyone who has the time to go to the effort of creating a site with this sort of crap needs to get a life.

The ABs lost because the French defence was wonderful, the back three were constantly shut down behind the advantage line and they ran out of clews despite all the possession and territory- not because of a couple of marginal calls which we all get to second guess on slow motion-multiple angle replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

ThomasH wrote:

The Kiwis can't blame the ref as the ABs did not deliver on the night but still that forward pass was a crucial moment in the game.
    They should grow the hell up. They're no strangers to missed forward passes or other misdemeanours on field escaping penalising themselves.

Waynes Barnes has received death threats. Probably nothing in essence but still a disgrace to the game that people take it that seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I was cheering for NZ but its a pity that some of this has come out in the Aftermath...However, it's unfair to judge an entire nation because of things like this. Yes, they take their rugby very seriously, even in victory (saw the "Legend of the All Blacks" documentary before the match :) )

And every nation is as bad for blaming other circumstances for their failures - examples from Ireland (recent - memory not up to scratch)...the anthem is always blamed (not starting a debate but it is a trend seen), Murphy was blamed for missing a tackle - leaving out the fact that they had scored before, we didn't score enough, etc, and we also complained when that try was given to France.....

I have read why there is the Kiwi-bias and it is a pity that muppets out there can tarnish a nation and cause such animosity......But such is life!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

We blamed our players. Not some outside force such as the ref. We were harshly dealt with by the ref in the France match (IMO) and just accepted it.
    In the 2002 HEC final, Munster were royally screwed over when Neil Back flicked the ball from Stringer's hands as he fed the scrum, right in front of the Leicester posts whilst down 9-15. Afterwards people were pi$$ed off, but not to the sort of OTT stuff that's going on in NZ. The NZ media is rampant with anti-Barnes stories in a way you's never get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You know I've been thinking, I don't in anyway condone the actions of the Kiwi fans or media (or players for that matter), but I DO have to admit that a big part of the reason you wouldn't get Irish fans doing this is because, maybe, there isn't the same passion there. It'd be nice if there had been a bit of a furore over the Ireland losses, rather than this shrug of the shoulders.
    Welsh Coach - Fired. Kiwi Coach - Fired. Ireland Coach, asked by one reporter if he was going to step down and SHE gets criticised! So yeah, maybe the Kiwi's are over the top, but we can't talk, we're the other end of the spectrum, and I'm not sure which is worse!

• Advertisement

tottaly agree with the above comment, theres just not the same passion towards rugby here in comparrison to nz
    rugby in ireland is well behind gaa and to a lesser extent soccer where as rugby in nz comes ahead of food , drink , women , you name it
    oh and im not being sarcastic , ive been to nz , rugby is bigger in nz than anything is everywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

davyjose wrote:
    You know I've been thinking, I don't in anyway condone the actions of the Kiwi fans or media (or players for that matter), but I DO have to admit that a big part of the reason you wouldn't get Irish fans doing this is because, maybe, there isn't the same passion there. It'd be nice if there had been a bit of a furore over the Ireland losses, rather than this shrug of the shoulders.
    Welsh Coach - Fired. Kiwi Coach - Fired. Ireland Coach, asked by one reporter if he was going to step down and SHE gets criticised! So yeah, maybe the Kiwi's are over the top, but we can't talk, we're the other end of the spectrum, and I'm not sure which is worse!

Why don't you either move to Noo Zulland or show us all how its done, eh? :rolleyes:
    Yes, the Kiwis are over the top. If you think that acting the ungrateful cock because of decisions in a game of rugby union is a vital ingredient to winning a tourny then think again.

The two teams have one common denominator: Neither has ever coped with expectancy when it mattered. Whatever you say and how you act won't change that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

davyjose wrote:

You have to be kidding, a shrug of the shoulders? Where have you been for the last few weeks, acres of coverage in papers, TV and radio about what a total disaster it was....

The NZ media are a pretty uncompromising lot judging by a number of the articles i've seen. :eek:

If he was planning a trip, I'd say probably not the best time for Wayne Barnes to go zorbing in Rotorua.

He was here and got cheered around Galway and Dublin for a few days, they must have been lulling him into a false sense of security before the lynching :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

The despair in New Zealand (and Ireland) as their team choked once again has resulted in the jokes coming out thick and fast !!!

Q: What's the difference between the All Blacks and a Tea Bag.....
    A: A tea bag stays in the cup longer.

Q: What do the All Blacks and drug addicts have in common??
    A: Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.

Did you hear that the NZ Post Office has had to recall their latest stamps. They had pictures of All Black rugby players on them. People couldn't figure out which side to spit on.
    :)

Did you hear about the NZ politician who was found dead in an All Black rugby jersey? The police had to dress him up in women's underwear in order to save his family from the embarrassment.

Four surgeons are taking a coffee break.

The first one says,"Accountants are the best to operate on because when you open them up everything inside them is numbered."

The second surgeon says, "Nah,librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order."

Third surgeon says, "Try electricians everything inside them is colour-coded."

The fourth one says, "I prefer All Black rugby players. They're heartless, spineless, gutless and their head and ass are interchangeable."

Q: What do you call an New Zealander at the RWC final?
    A: Ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

davyjose wrote:
    Welsh Coach - Fired. Kiwi Coach - Fired. Ireland Coach, asked by one reporter if he was going to step down and SHE gets criticised!

Well yes, but only by a pundit who is himself a rugby coach, and one who has been sacked more than once for poor team performance.

So maybe he was feeling a little raw, the poor dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

moe_sizlak wrote:
    most irish people dont have a bog who tana umaga is as most irish people only take a passing interest in rugby
    barnes the referee the other night were he to visit nz would be as recognisable there as ones john paul the 2nd was when he visited here in 1979
    rugby being the kiwis religon

when they were over ,we were on grafton street in mcdonalds absolutely hammered,and the smallest person in the group,we were 17 or so (who has no clue about rugby)
    went up to ma'a nonu and said 'umaga you ****,you killed o'driscoll' nonu picked him up with 1 arm and carried him out ,while me and the other lads chowed down with byron kelleher.it was one of the funniest things ive ever seen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

On one of the saner discussion boards in New Zealand, they seem to be blaming the same things we are for their team's demise.

A crappy anthem, overtraining etc etc

And of course the ubiquitous references to Gallipoli. "good job those guys who came off the pitch with minor injuries weren't Anzacs. THEY had to stay at their posts, not like the wimps of 90 years later"

I sometimes get the feeling NZers don't know that they lost that one too.

copacetic wrote:
    He was here and got cheered around Galway and Dublin for a few days, they must have been lulling him into a false sense of security before the lynching :rolleyes:
    What muppets were cheering him exactly, and why? :eek: Don't suppose you've any linkage to back this up? I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek saying he'd get a lynching. After the spear incident there were pictures of Umaga outside many pubs in Dublin saying things like "wanted for assault on our BOD". Yeh it was done in humour, but at the same time people were seriously pissed off with the spear incident. "The incident" was repeatedly flashed over our screens for days, even weeks afterwards.

Anyway back on topic. Yes the kiwis are way more OTT than us when it comes to rugby. Their media (snippets i've seen from anyway) are ridiculously jaundiced in their views. Had we been knocked out in similiar fashion to the AB's I seriously doubt Barnes would be getting a fraction of the negative publicity from our press. It kind of makes me glad the AB's are out really. They are probably the most ungracious losers in the world.

• Advertisement

What muppets were cheering him exactly, and why? :eek: Don't suppose you've any linkage to back this up?

it was a couple of years back, here is one link. tbh if you don't remember it you must have very little interest in rugby?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/11/10/srkiwi10.xml

On topic, the reception they got when the arrived in new zealand showed the real support they have over there. Especially compared to the 15 or so that turned out to welcome Ireland back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

muincav wrote: »
    Q: What do you call an New Zealander at the RWC final?
    A: Ref.
    Not even

copacetic wrote: »
    it was a couple of years back, here is one link. tbh if you don't remember it you must have very little interest in rugby?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/11/10/srkiwi10.xml

LOL at that comment. Yeh i much prefer knitting, but my ball of wool ran out so i decided to go on the rugby forum. :D

Of course I remember the all-blacks here, and crowds were cheering the All-blacks i'm sure. Your suggestion that they were cheering for Umaga specifically is way wide of the mark. He was surely the most unpopular man in the country a few years ago.
    I'd say people thought twice about lynching him when they saw the size of all his buddies in the black jerseys though. ;)

daveirl wrote: »

why , what kind of reception did they recieve , didnt hear a thing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Seeing as rugby is their biggest sport and it was a World Cup, 1500 isn't that impressive. Sounds like the "parents bringing the kids brigade". Like Ladies GAA in Croke Park. Family and kids:D

il gatto wrote: »
    Seeing as rugby is their biggest sport and it was a World Cup, 1500 isn't that impressive. Sounds like the "parents bringing the kids brigade". Like Ladies GAA in Croke Park. Family and kids:D

it is when you have just had your worst ever world cup after beeing unbackable favourites..

Advertisement