Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Rice and larn yourselfs some english two.

• 21-09-2010 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a quiz link like this here but here goes*.

I came across this link while the 'Most Misused Word' thread was still fresh in my brain. For each answer to a question that you get right they donate 10 grains of rice through the World Food Programme to help end hunger and you get to improve your grammar and general knowledge. I earned over 8,000 grains of rice this evening. Time I would otherwise have spent on boards or Bejewelled. Addictive and may bring to an end the they're/their/there problems as well as world hunger.

Free Rice
    What is the history of FreeRice?

FreeRice was founded in October 2007 by John Breen. In March 2009 Mr. Breen donated the site to the UN World Food Programme. In making the donation, Mr. Breen expressed his hopes that FreeRice will be able to grow over the coming years, helping to feed and educate as many people as possible throughout the world.

Who pays for the donated rice?

The rice is paid for by the banners you see at the bottom of your screen when you enter a correct answer. We regularly monitor the banners that appear on FreeRice to ensure that no inappropriate content is displayed such as tobacco and gambling.

If FreeRice has the rice to give, why not give it all away right now?

FreeRice is not sitting on a pile of rice. You are earning it 10 grains at a time. Here is how it works: When you play the game, banners appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these banners is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice donated to hungry people.

Does FreeRice make any money from doing this?

FreeRice does not make any money from this. FreeRice is a website committed to the cause of ending hunger around the world. It is run entirely for free and at no profit. All money (100%) raised by the site goes to the UN World Food Programme to help feed the hungry.

Opinion is divided as to the status of this charity but it does sound like some rice gets to the right place.

Snopes
    Lance Wiggs

*Mods can move. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

why not, Im up for anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yes but is it plain rice or do they get fried rice as a option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

these buys better buy a s*** load of soy sauce, im in the zone.

Advertisement