Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where oh where can i buy refillable plastic spray bottles?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've looked all over tesco lidl €2 shop etc. and couldn't find them. I find it baffling how something so simple straightfoward, cheap and extremely useful is so damn hard to find? I mean i feel like I'm living in Communist-era europe where you'd have to trade in the black market to get a replacement plug for your sinkhole. Although this actually a deeply consumerist 21st century country with amazon at my fingertips.

Hell I actually tried to get one on amazon but all the realistically priced ones that would actually ship to ireland exceeded a reasonable budget when p&p came along.

Does anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?

P.S: A thread here from 3 years ago had a guy mentioning you could buy some in tesco but based on the online catalogue and my careful observations there does not seem to be any available anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Try the 2Euro shops and similar (probably cheapest), gardening section in hardware shops or even garden centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

In eurogiant you can get clear spray bottles of white vinegar for E1.50. Just empty out or use the white vinegar, and there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If its not too far out of your way ikea have some for a euro

http://m.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/art/00255218/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I've looked all over tesco lidl €2 shop etc. and couldn't find them. I find it baffling how something so simple straightfoward, cheap and extremely useful is so damn hard to find? I mean i feel like I'm living in Communist-era europe where you'd have to trade in the black market to get a replacement plug for your sinkhole. Although this actually a deeply consumerist 21st century country with amazon at my fingertips.

Hell I actually tried to get one on amazon but all the realistically priced ones that would actually ship to ireland exceeded a reasonable budget when p&p came along.

Does anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?

P.S: A thread here from 3 years ago had a guy mentioning you could buy some in tesco but based on the online catalogue and my careful observations there does not seem to be any available anymore?

Did you ask any staff in those stores? Or did you just whine about "communist-era europe" just to vent anger.

Even here you don't give an idea of size or what you want to use them for.

As for why you can't find them - well its because there is virtually NO DEMAND for them. Most people are throwing them out every day after using various liquids that are in them on the selves of every supermarket in the country, from hair sprays to cleaning liquids.

Maybe that why you don't find them - NO-ONE needs them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@delahuntv - you have been warned before to keep your posting constructive.

OP - you don't mention what size you are looking for, but have you tried Boots? They have a decent selection of travel-sized bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

it's a bit pricey, but it's a branded product.

They probably have other non branded ones there too

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/4120-hozelock-05l-spray-mist-trigger-sprayer/23946/4.7.2#.VHWaQ2dQKZk

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rubber_jean

hey thanks for everyone's replies. I do realise I should have been more specific.
    I'm looking for something about 250ml+ rather than those tiny travel size ones. Also i live in the dun laoghaire area so going to ikea or one of those west dublin places would be quite a trek. I could try going the vinegar bottles a shot, it's just i find many products sprayable containers are designed for single use and the bottle is sealed and the top cannot be screwed off. But then again that's because most things that come in spray bottles like cologne, perfume, deodrant , detergants etc are pressurised chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Boots or The Body Shop

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I got some in Boots recently, they had a wide selection of shapes and sizes

delahuntv wrote: »
    Did you ask any staff in those stores? Or did you just whine about "communist-era europe" just to vent anger.

Even here you don't give an idea of size or what you want to use them for.

As for why you can't find them - well its because there is virtually NO DEMAND for them. Most people are throwing them out every day after using various liquids that are in them on the selves of every supermarket in the country, from hair sprays to cleaning liquids.

Maybe that why you don't find them - NO-ONE needs them

I'm "whining" about communist-era europe for melodramatic effect rather than anger. What has always annoyed me about this site is the lack of of a sense of casual humor in so many of the posters,it's like you half to walk on eggshells not to have your words analysed by people when it's not the main point.

There's many things I'd like to use them for - homemade salad dressings etc. and also plain water for a variety of purposes - removing stains, flattening stipple ceilings, a quick effort free substitute for showering (joke)... Spray bottles make it easier to apply a liquid to a surface evenly.

I'd say many people would desire them for the same reasons i posted above. Hairdressers/barbers typically use them for apply water to hair quickly instead of doing that whole rinsing in a basin business.

Also, like I said in my above post, things like hairspray and cleaning products are typically pressured or sealed so would not really have an impact on the demand for refillable ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Seeing as how you mention hairdressers, you could try the hairdressing supply shop on Drury Street. And the gardening shop suggestion earlier from knucklehead6 is spot on - any Woodies, Homebase or gardening centre/DIY place would have those.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, did you miss post #7 above? I bought mine in Woodies and it's the Hozelock Spraymist so they've been selling that model for years.

You need to be realistic here, you're buying an empty plastic bottle with a pump mechanism. It's something people don't expect to pay much for and most people that have one will only buy one in twenty years or more so turnover in the shops is minuscule, hence you will only find it in a store with acres of space and miles of shelves i.e. an out of town garden centre/DIY store/IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've looked all over tesco lidl €2 shop etc. and couldn't find them
    Check again, you said you are in dun laoghaire. There is a dealz and 3 other €2 type shops there now, some great stuff in them.

Look on dealz alone, I see loads of spray bottles.

http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=spray

Some are not going to be suitable for what you may want, e.g. I would not be reusing a fly spray bottle for many things. THere is a domestos bleach spray. Bleach is fine to be washing out, milton disinefectant for babies is the same bleach (sodium hypochlorite). They have windolene and others, flash, mr muscle.

These branded products often come in better sprays than cheap empty ones.

Due to economies of scale it is often cheaper to buy stuff and dump it to get the packaging. e.g. many soups come in very good microwaveable containers now.

I got €6 woodies spray bottle for about €2.50 or maybe €3 in a garden centre on johnstown road.

I have one spray gun thing that screws onto standard coke bottle threads. So you can get little 250ml cadet cola bottles and fit it to them, you have to trim down the tube inside the bottle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd second (or even third) the advice to check Boots.
    I got 3 different sizes from them (Liffeyvalley) at lunchtime today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It's also possibly just the wrong time of year as a lot of the ones I've seen in aldi/dealz etc are empty and aimed at gardeners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's also possibly just the wrong time of year as a lot of the ones I've seen in aldi/dealz etc are empty and aimed at gardeners

The Boots ones are for health/beauty/hair use etc (e.g. fill with fresh lemon juice- for spraying in your hair etc etc) The spray unit isn't exactly heavy duty- but it works.

are the cleaning detergant bottles safe to reuse?. There's antibacterial spray in lidl for 89c where you can open the bottle. but if after you clean it out thoroughly and refill it will there still be chemical residue polluting what you then put in it?

Advertisement