Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky sending debt collectors

Options
  • 12-08-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm very confused about this, just was hoping to get a bit of advice before I ring Sky direct.
    Basically, I haven't been with them for years, possibly 5 years, I can't remember.
    Today in the post, I got a letter from a debt collecting agency saying I owe Sky €32 and if I don't pay up they'll be sending someone round to my house :eek:
    I've never missed a payment with Sky or anyone for that matter and if I did, surely to God they would have wrote to me themselves before getting a debt collector on to me?
    Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any experience of this, what my rights would be.
    The only thing I can think of is when I finished with them, I just cancelled my direct debit and didn't ring them. Again, surely they would have contacted me themselves before then?
    Thanks in advance, I'm really worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

maybe you did not give them 30 days notice and that could be what they are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Afaik sky require 60 days notice for cancellation. I could be wrong and it could well be 30 days notice but you are still liable for the payments for that period of you didn't give them notice. Even if you were out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

Yeah, that's probably it. I'm just wondering why they took this long to look for it and why not ask for it themselves?
    I don't want to deal with a debt collector though.
    Should I ask sky for a statement and pay them the money direct?
    Thanks for the replies!
    Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think the general consensus here is to not deal with debt collectors and only deal with the company you have/had a contract with - in this case Sky. Don't acknowledge the debt collection agency at all and just contact and talk to Sky. Debt collection agencies have very little power in Ireland and you can call the Gardai should they actually turn up on your door or call you.

Usually Sky will require notice of cancellation of service so that's probably what you're being billed for. Odd that they would wait so long though ?!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Holyjebus wrote: »
    I don't want to deal with a debt collector though.
    Should I ask sky for a statement and pay them the money direct?

Even if you pay the money to Sky, they will be obliged to hand the money over to the debt collector.

Sky have sold the debt (it's called 'factoring') and under the deal, the debt collector now 'owns' the debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,892 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    Even if you pay the money to Sky, they will be obliged to hand the money over to the debt collector.

Sky have sold the debt (it's called 'factoring') and under the deal, the debt collector now 'owns' the debt.

That's Sky, or any companies, problem not the OPs. The only entity that dealt with the debt collection agency was Sky, so it's their problem to sort out when the OP pays them.

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's Sky, or any companies, problem not the OPs. The only entity that dealt with the debt collection agency was Sky, so it's their problem to sort out when the OP pays them.

I didn't say it was anybody's problem and if you read my post, I didn't suggest to the OP who he should pay the money to. I'm simply pointing out that if he decides to pay up, the debt collection agency will get the money either way.

Wave your banner all you like but the outcome will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

Thanks for all the replies. I rang sky today and they confirmed the bill, said it must have been because I didn't give enough notice at the time!
    Nice to be informe this way after all those years.
    I just paid up with them, I refuse to pay a debt collector!
    Jo

I just paid up with them, I refuse to pay a debt collector!

You only paid the debt because the debt collector came looking for the money. Sky will now hand your money over to them because the debt was factored. This means that (1) the debt collection agency will continue in business and (2) Sky will continue to factor debts.

If you really don't like paying money to debt collectors then you shouldn't have paid anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I received letters from a debt collector about another company's bill which I had settled but their admin hadn't sorted out properly. I told them I wasn't dealing with them, only the company with whom I had a contract. I got a few more 'threatening' letters but ignored them and never heard another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

I know its a bit late now but I had a load of trouble with sky over billing me and their communication is deplorable in the end I just told them I didnt want anything more to do with them crap service and useless customer service and they tried to charge me more money I told them to F*** Off and not to bother me again never heard from them since and that was a few years ago now I can honestly say I will never deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ajmboyce wrote: »
    I know its a bit late now but I had a load of trouble with sky over billing me and their communication is deplorable in the end I just told them I didnt want anything more to do with them crap service and useless customer service and they tried to charge me more money I told them to F*** Off and not to bother me again never heard from them since and that was a few years ago now I can honestly say I will never deal with them again.

I know it's a bit late, but I have Sky, get a bill every month and pay it. I have no trouble and their customer service is fine. I will continue to deal with them because I like watching Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leanna22

has anyone got the number to the sky debt collectors please imtryin to contact them an I have no luck location a number!!! would be great if someone could give me the number :)
    Hi guys,

I'm very confused about this, just was hoping to get a bit of advice before I ring Sky direct.
    Basically, I haven't been with them for years, possibly 5 years, I can't remember.
    Today in the post, I got a letter from a debt collecting agency saying I owe Sky €32 and if I don't pay up they'll be sending someone round to my house :eek:
    I've never missed a payment with Sky or anyone for that matter and if I did, surely to God they would have wrote to me themselves before getting a debt collector on to me?
    Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any experience of this, what my rights would be.
    The only thing I can think of is when I finished with them, I just cancelled my direct debit and didn't ring them. Again, surely they would have contacted me themselves before then?
    Thanks in advance, I'm really worried.

Advertisement