Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A dancing runner

• 18-10-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Decided I would keep a log, purely to keep myself on track and shame me if I have not posted in awhile.

I have been running sporadically for a number of months, but still only an average of 1 run a week (if I am lucky). I have not had a target/goal so I only went when I felt like it/nice weather.

I am generally quiet active in that I teach Irish dance 2 evenings a week and perform for weddings/parties most weekends. along with a bit of junior hurling in the summer months. This has helped me keep a base fitness.

Male, 24, 5'8'' and I am now going to follow the halhidon intermediate half marathon training plan as much as I can (if i miss a day ill just do it the next day). I have to build up fitness levels for 5 weeks time for a short tour with a dance show and figure that I will follow a programme to help me in that and my other aim of completing at least a half marathon next year (hopefully a full if training goes well).

I started last week but only got two days done due to other commitments. These commitments will be done in 2 weeks time and I will have another 2 free evenings each week and will then be able to follow the plan properly. I might try get into the habit of getting up earlier for the shorter runs and getting them done before work but do not want to over do it with dancing in evenigns.

Tue 12/10/10
    Aim: 3m
    Completed: 3m
    Time: 30:21
    Pace: 10:07 m/m

Was hoping to keep it under the 30min mark but just failed.

Wed 13/10/10
    Aim : 4x400
    Completed: 4x400 / (2.94m)
    Time: 32:00
    Pace (average due to intervals of some running and 2 walking): 10:44 m/m

Was disappointed with my time for x400's but it was my first evening attempting something like that and I feel i pushed the first 2 a bit much and as a result was walking the recovery laps towards the end. Lesson learned.

I am using the maymyrun app on the iphone to keep track of distances/times etc.. so I hope it is accurate.It at worst gives me an idea.

I hope it goes well from here on in and that i dont drift off the forum soon. Looking forward to getting some adivce as i go along too if people see I am going about it wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Mon 18/10/10
    Time: 28:57
    Pace: 9:39 m/m

I came home from work and it was nice and dry out and sky was clear so decided id get a run in while I had the free time. So off i went and i was not gone .2 of a mile when the rain started. I got saturated but I am a strange one (i think) in that I love running/training in the rain. Especially this eve as it was a light shower rather than downpour.

Felt good during the run, alot more comfortable than the two last week. Calves slightly tight now but got a good stretch and will get another one in morning before work.

Tue 19/10/10
    Time: 27:57
    Pace: 9:16 m/m

Took off again straight after I got in from work as I was feeling wrecked and if I had sat for a minute that would have been it. First mile was slow at about 10:30 pace and was not feeling good, but after that I got a new lease of energy and finished strong. I am very happy with the time, hopefully I can keep in around that and start improving now slowly but surely.

Calves are still quiet stiff..Not sore thankfully but I can feel it when I walk and will be getting a good stretch in before bed. I am doing the usual sretch - pushing the wall and then dropping the knee to get the extra stretch, would people recommend any additional stretch as they are the only thing that really come at me when running.

Tomorrow I am due a 30minute tempo run (Must read up on it and see what is involved). I am also teaching so hopefully I will have the time.

As expected I did not have the time to get my tempo run in Wednesday eve due to teaching. On the plus side, some other posters have helped me finally understand what a tempo run is.

With not getting the Tempo run in I took yesterday as a rest day and planned to carry on today with the tempo. However, due to a local funeral being on the route I would have taken I had to call it a day on that plan. Not to be deterred, I hopped into the car and drove to the local golf course and took to the paths on the course to complete my actual scheduled run for today.

21/10/10
    Time:28:37
    Pace: 9:28 m/m

This was my first evening taking in HILLS and lots of them. The calves felt it but i pushed it not wanting to lose the pace too much.

All going well tomorrow eve will be my tempo run. The gear is coming to work with me.

26/10/10
    Aim: 3.5m
    Completed: 3.80m
    Time:36:00
    Pace: 9:45 m/m

Total Miles : 18.77m

I enjoyed the run this evening in the end, even with the rain.

Being honest I struggled for the first mile with the darkness setting in and the rain getting more frequent and the thought did enter my head to give in.This is when I took to the roads and off the track that I was going to do the full run on. I, at least on a road had no option but to keep going as I always had to come back to the car. I was hoping to do the planned 3.5m in 35 minutes. My pace is hovering around the 9:40m/m so i assumed that the extra half mile would knock a bit of time onto that. Afterwards it was worth the run and glad to keep under the 10min miles average.

27/10/10
    Completed: 1.82m
    Time: 16:50
    Pace: 9:13 m/m

Total Miles : 20.59m

Today the aim was again 3.5m but it was tempo run. So I took off fairly lively hoping to get it in before the rain came. All going well for first quarter of a mile and then a light shower. Thats grand I do not mind that, then hailstones..ok, I will keep going it will pass, then thunder..started to get a little worried then and last but by no means least..lightening..When i saw that I decided that running around a wide open track with a mobile phone strapped to my arm was probably not the wisest thing to be doing so I made for the car and said I would sit it out. After 10 minutes no sign of let up so I made the drive home, wet and not near my mileage aim..Disappointed..This is where gym membership would come in handy.

I must look in to PAYG gyms in the region.

No run for the next few days (Sunday next one) due to charity jigs and reels (this has been taking up my evenings teaching a non dancer some steps) where I will need to be able to dance and as the runs are getting longer I do not want to risk being stiff.

• Advertisement

Update: No run for last few days but want to keep this log fresh in my head and keep the guilt in my head.

I had the charity jigs and reels gig friday and saturday night and as a result of somebody pulling out at last minute had to spend a few hours saturday making up a routine to cover the slot. This was better for me than any run. The 9 professional dancers and 9 amature dancers managed to raise close to €40,000 for the 9 charities. So it was definately well worth the time given over to it.

29-10-10
    2 hours dance

30-10-10
    Probably about 4 hours dance in total for the day

31-10-10
    Rest day and a sleep in after a few late nights.

Today 01-11-10
    No run going to be done today but I will be going teaching dance for 2 hours.

(Run will start back tomorrow)

02-11-10
    Aim: 3.0m
    Completed: 3.21m
    Time: 30:04
    Pace: 9:21 m/m

Total Miles (MTD) : 23.80m
    Runs (RTD): 8

I told myself in small typing that I would start back running this evening. Finished work at 5:30 and it was dark and seriously wet and windy. I had to do it though. I wrapped up in a new water/wind resistant zip up running top I got on sale in elverys and put on the high vis and went. I was due a tempo run so I decided I would try my best to do it. I aimed for 1.5 miles at tempo with slow warm up and down. After half mile of warm up at 10:15ish pace I decided i would go for it. I managed to keep it around 8:45ish for 1.5 miles and it dropped back then after that.

Even with the wind (felt like a gale force as it was into my face all the way) and rain I really really enjoyed the run. Time to start letting the mileage gradually head up now also.

Hopefully another 3+ miles in the morning.

03-11-10

No run today due to last minute rehearsal call. This meant that instead of a nice easy 3.5 miles or so I had 3.5 Hours of dance instead.

It will help me with the fitness tho and felt really good for getting that much dance in for a change.

It will probably be friday now by the time of next run.

08-11-10
    Aim: 4.0m
    Completed: 4.0m
    Time: 37:00
    Pace: 9:15 m/m

Total Miles (MTD) : 27.80m
    Runs (RTD): 9

This month/year seems to be one thing after another. It is income tax return season and as is always the case over time is a necessity. I was in the office for the weekend and also late yesterday meaning no run possible. I took my chance this evening tho with the lovely weather out and made the most of it. My original plan was 3miles again but not knowing when my next run will be I said id go longer. I also had the aim of getting a few miles in under the 9m/m mark.So I said i would do 3 miles at fast pace and managed the first 3m bang on 27:00. This left me with a mile to warm down.

Very happy with it and legs feel good, apart from the 1st blister on sole of foot.

Hopefully get another one in soon.

After such a good run of running I hit a complete standstill. This was all down to work. 12 hour days and then I had dancing msot evenigs.

I have been doing lots of dance which has helped the fitness but no mileage. Im off on tour also on Thursday so my next run will most likely be the 6th of December..I will probably re-start the half programme for a few weeks, as thinking of doing a 10k the 27th December in Lahinch. At least that way I will be running some bit and must pick which half I am attempting next year (early).

• Advertisement

Just a little update.

Spent the last 10 days away with the dance show and have done at least 5 hours dance per day. So fitness levels have increased dramatically and I have lost over half a stone in the few days so all good.

Looking forward to starting back running over the next day or two and hopefully the stamina built up will help me add an extra mile or two onto the runs.

New Year, New Start

It is going to be a very very busy year ahead, and I need to be fit and healthy for it. So, I am returning to my log to force me to run. I got into it towards the end of last year and really enjoyed getting out and about, then the weather put it to a standstill again.

So It all starts again this week. Going to follow Hal Higdons Novice Marathon plan and am aiming to do the Great Limerick Run on May1st. I plan on doing the half on the day but I am following the full training plan for a few weeks to see if i would be able to attempt the full.

My aim is a sub 2hr half and I will revisit my aims as I progress.

Best wishes all for 2011 and may your running be smooth and injury free and may you all meet your targets.

04-01-11
    Completed: 3.07m
    Time: 28:33
    Pace: 9:18 m/m

MTW : 3.07
    MTM : 3.07
    MTY : 3.07

First run in just under a month.I was happy enough with it as I didnt struggle but did not push it too much after the break.

05-01-11
    Aim: 2.0m (easy to recover from first night back)
    Completed: 2.17m
    Time: 20:19
    Pace: 9:20 m/m

MTW : 5.24
    MTM : 5.24
    MTY : 5.24

Was nervous getting out of the bed this morning but there was no stiffness at all. I knew it would not last long. As the 3pm slump hit I could feel the muscles tighten. Plenty of stretching all day, and a nice easy 2m this eve.

Was very cold but enjoyable.

06-01-11
    Completed: 3.0m
    Time: 27:54
    Pace: 9:18 m/m

MTW : 8.24
    MTM : 8.24
    MTY : 8.24

Tonight was all about getting the mileage in. The calves had stiffened up and no matter how much stretching I did during the day they would not give in. I started with a fast mile (8:40 pace), slow second mile (10:00 pace) and a calm 3rd mile (9:30 pace) to try start picking up the pace a bit and will extend the fast pace at the start as I get fitter.

Was happy enough with an average of 9:18.

Rest day tomorrrow and then a 4miler either Saturday or Sunday with a cross session the other day (probably a long walk, or a cycle).

10-01-11
    Aim: 4.0m
    Completed: 4.0m
    Time: 39:24
    Pace: 9:34 m/m

MTW : 4.00
    MTY : 12.24

I was not feeling very healthy the weekend, Had a 24hour bug so a run was out of the question. I was very disappointed but I said that I would get my 4 miles in today. It was wet and windy and my aim was to go under the 40minute mark, so I was happy I managed that.

10-01-11
    Aim: Give the GF some support on her 1st day of couch to 5k
    Completed: 1.5m
    Time: 20:00

MTW : 5.50
    MTY : 13.74

This may happen a few times over the next few weeks but it will only help me with my fitness and I used it as a chance for a nice warm down as she arrived just as I reached 4m mark.

11-01-11
    Completed: 3.01m
    Time: 29:39
    Pace: 9:50 m/m

MTW : 8.51
    MTY : 16.75

Wet, windy and miserable and that was just me. Legs felt soo heavy tonight. I did not drink enough water during the day and felt energyless (is that a word?) all afternoon. Forced myself out to do the 3 miles and was happy in the end to just keep it under the 30min.

11-01-11
    Aim: Give the GF some support on her couch to 5k
    Completed: 1.99m
    Time: 23:00

MTW : 10.50
    MTY : 18.74

This was planned tonight that I would join the GF on her c25k plan after her first walk. So i managed to drag another 2 miles out of the legs over that period of time.

Overall happy enough with progress, apart from legs feeling tired, I feel comfortable running.

14-01-11
    Completed: 3.01m
    Time: 28:27
    Pace: 9:29 m/m

MTW : 13.50
    MTY : 21.74

Not a bad run, was happy enough to get the pace down a notch on the last few nights.

14-01-11
    Completed: 2.40m
    Time: 30:00

MTW : 15.90
    MTY : 24.14

17-01-11
    Completed: 3.51m
    Time: 32:26
    Pace: 9:14 m/m

MTW : 3.51
    MTY : 27.65

Good run, Aim was for 2 fast miles and managed to do them in a fast pace (for me) of 8:50 and then the last mile and a half was an average pace. Legs were heavy after 2miles but very happy with the pace increase (decrease? not sure which is more accurate).

Downloaded Ministry of Sound:Run to the beat 2010 and I felt it (maybe subconsciously) made me run faster. Will find out again next time.

17-01-11
    Completed: 2.57m
    Time: 30:00

MTW : 6.08
    MTY : 30.22

19-01-11
    Aim: 4.5m
    Completed: 4.5m
    Time: 42:45
    Pace: 9:30 m/m

MTW : 10.58
    MTY : 34.72

Did 2 miles of 200's tonight (Run 200 at full belt, then jog/walk 200) and then did a nice handy 2.5 miles.

• Advertisement

26-01-11
    Aim: 2.5m
    Completed: 2.5m
    Time: Didnt keep time
    Pace: Didnt keep pace

MTW : 2.5
    MTY : 37.22

Iv been sick for the last week and still not right but the GF was due a C25K session so I said I would join her and at least get out and about. Hoping I will be right by tomorrow morning or friday so I can get back on track. Having withdrawal symptoms!

Still not feeling healthy. Pulled my quad at a dance class on Thursday and was unable to run the weekend.

I am making myself join the GF for her c25k this eve and I will get up at 7 in the morning for a 3.5m run.

If I say it loud I have to do it. :(

01-02-11
    Aim: 2.5m
    Completed: 2.5m
    Time: Didnt keep time
    Pace: Didnt keep pace

MTW : 2.5
    MTY : 39.72

02-02-11
    Aim: 5.0m
    Completed: 5.7m
    Time: 50:15
    Pace: 8:50 m/m

MTW : 8.20
    MTY : 47.92

15-02-11
    Completed: 3.0m
    Time: 29:00
    Pace: 9:40 m/m

MTY : 50.92 (i have a 2.5mile run someday that iv not put in blog but cannot remember which day it was. Must go back over my mapmyrun).

So, It is 2 weeks since I got a run in and it is also 2 weeks since I got sick and was in bed for 6 days. Today, was the first day I felt myself so said I would get back out there with a nice easy paced run.

I have started on week 2 of Hal Higdons Half marathn training again, as I am entered for the great limerick run half in May so this brings me on schedule. Hears hoping I can stick to it.

16-02-11
    Aim: 2.0m
    Completed: 2.0m
    Time: 16:27
    Pace: 8:13 m/m

MTY : 52.92

16-02-11
    Aim: Accompany GF on C25k
    Completed: 2.12m
    Time: 28:00
    Pace: 0:00 m/m

MTY : 55.04

18-02-11
    Completed: 3.00m
    Time: 26:18
    Pace: 8:46 m/m

MTY : 58.04

Found this tough but not as tough as the 6miles Saturday/Sunday will be.

19-02-11
    Aim: 6m
    Completed: 6.00m
    Time: 57:48
    Pace: 9:38 m/m

MTY : 64.04

Longest run in almost a year. Found it tough enough. I was happy to keep it under the hour. I had the alarm set to go at 8 this morning but when I got up legs were not in any form for it so I hopped back into bed. Went at 2 o'clock instead and while the legs felt heavy I managed to keep a steady enough pace. Happy to have it over with and hopefully the legs will not be too stiff in the morning.

22-03-11

Completed: 3.02m
    Time: 30:05
    Pace: 9.56 m/m

MTY: 67.06

After great promise above (I was actually going out running)I got hit with illness and was in bed for the guts of 7 days. Then I had a wedding (3 days away) and then 10 days in Washington for holidays. Plenty of walking in Washington (well up on 5 miles a day).

This brings me to today and my first run back. Wanted to stay hidden as I guessed I would be very unfit and red faced, so I went to the local golf course and did three miles of hills. The aim was for under 3 miles in under 30min and I managed that (just) with a few stops to allow golfers to hit and a little walk to get rid of stitch.

To get back on target for half marathon I should be running 4.5miles Thursday morning so, hope I am not stiff tomorrow and that I am good to go Tursday. I have an exam Saturday so that is taking up alot of time and from next week on I have 5 hard weeks to get up to half marathon fitness.
    Good to be back!!!

31-03-11
    Aim: 4m
    Completed: 4.31m
    Time: 40:00
    Pace: 9.16 m/m

MTY: 71.37

01-04-11
    Completed: 3.5m
    Time: 32:00
    Pace: 9.06 m/m

MTY: 74.87

Two good runs with lots and lots of hills!Legs sore today but should be good to go tomorrow again. Only 4 weeks to go till half marathon. Gonna be a tough four weeks!

• Advertisement

04-04-11

Completed: 4.05m
    Time: 40:30
    Pace: 9.59 m/m

MTY: 78.92

Went out for 3 miles this eve but felt comfortable after the 3 so continued on a loop that I guessed was about another mile.

It was a hilly hilly route again.Going to try a few flat miles this week and see how the legs pick it up on them.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/30962104

Advertisement