Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Don't post in this thread again" - this type of "ban" not covered by DRP, why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Beasty wrote: »
    If that's a solution (and I'm in agreement it's the first step in any dispute), then I'm struggling to understand the relevance of the DRP to your own position on this

Steps are:
    1. PM the mod to try and resolve it directly.
    2. If still no resolution, PM the CMod.
    3. If still no resolution start a thread in Help Desk where an Admin can chip in if they consider it appropriate
    If we consider '1' above a solution, then DRP isn't relevant to my position on this.

The issue I was taking up involving DRP though, was the suggestion earlier in the thread that - absent '1' (appealing mod action for on-thread warning by PM, immediately when it happens) - if a poster receives an infraction or such later on, and the previous on-thread warning is used to support that, effectively that's too late to appeal the on-thread warning (for the practical reasons I mentioned).

If we take '1' as a solution, it avoids that problem - it still felt worth pointing out the problem with the above though.
    It's really not that significant/important - it's mostly lost in all the back-and-forth now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Dav wrote: »
    I had a lot of my day wasted with this nonsense and I don't have time to finish all the work I get paid to do, never mind having to deal with pointless rubbish like this. The infraction remains.

Just seen the above nonsense in the DRF.

It's not a user's fault if you haven't the time for dealing with disputes. It's not the first time (and I doubt it will be the last) that you have needlessly been rude to a member of the site. If you have a problem with your workload, maybe you should take it up with your employer, rather than take it out on forum users.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just seen the above nonsense in the DRF.

It's not a user's fault if you haven't the time for dealing with disputes. It's not the first time (and I doubt it will be the last) that you have needlessly been rude to a member of the site. If you have a problem with your workload, maybe you should take it up with your employer, rather than take it out on forum users.

If some posters didn't do stupid things like falsely encourage people to PM Dav, maybe he'd have a bit more time, wouldn't he?

Poor example, NachoBusiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Penn wrote: »
    If some posters didn't do stupid things like falsely encourage people to PM Dav, maybe he'd have a bit more time, wouldn't he?

What the user did to warrant the infraction is irrelevant. If the infraction had been upheld and a brief reason given for why it was being upheld, I wouldn't have brought it up. It is the manner in which the user was dealt with that I take issue with. Admin saying they don't have time to deal with the work they get paid to do and referring the a user's appeal as 'pointless rubbish' is wholly unnecessary.

I remember John Cleese once talking about the guy who influenced the character of Basil Fawlty and how while he was staying at his hotel he got impression that he was very much of the belief that his hotel would be so much better if it wasn't for the damn guests. Sometimes I think certain members of Boards' admin feel that way about Boards and it's members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I was talking about the member's actions (which wasted an hour of my day), not the appeal (which is, as you say, an expected part of my day's work). All of this had been previously conveyed to the member in question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When I was a c-mod, if somebody asked me to look into a thread ban they thought was unfair I'd damn sure just look into it.

Ask the c-mod.

Generally though, there's probably a reason for the thread ban but you're sometimes so close to the thread and things are getting so hot-headed that you just get defensive.

It's difficult. People derail threads sometimes. They don't break rules per se, but they will counter point and multi quote and just generally provide a negative influence that is thread spoiling for others. It's not even intentional most of the time. It's not trolling. It's not being a dick, it's just ... taking things a little too seriously from time to time.

Difficult to mod situation. But generally it's a good idea. Remove the disruptive influence from a chat but don't remove people from the forum. Best used when good people just get too hot under the collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I always thought Help desk dealt with thread bans and on thread warnings.

The advantage for me of that, is mods can reply in HD, giving direct replies, which is great to refute misrepresentations and sometimes lies told about you.

In general, they are a great tools for users and mods and usually do the trick. Great for good posters who lose the run of themselves a little on emotional subjects, and getting a bit wound up. Also stop endless tit for tat posts.

So there is a right of appeal as far as I know.

Similar to cards, if somebody gets thread banned several times, naturally sanctions will escalate. That's up to the user. If you only get 1 or 2 thread bans, they aren't an issue at all and serve their purpose.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement