Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector spec and install help

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I am considering installation of a projector for the xmas period but also to support movies every so often afterwards.

The idea is so that i can project old Christmas movies onto a wall during Christmas.

I have a hallway which leads into the main living area.
    My intention is to mount the projector onto the other side of the wall in the hallway and project onto the living area wall.

Picture attached which hopefully shows my intent.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this successfully considering the width of the wall etc?

I need help on:
    - what type of projector to consider
    - how to mount it considering the 11cm width of the wall
    - connectivity options
    - anything else i need to consider

I dont need perfect picture quality to begin with, just something to add a bit of wow factor for people visiting. Black and white movies over Christmas will be sufficient.

Would be nice though if i could use it for a regular movie night later on.

It needs to be bright enough to project a viewable image even with other lights on. So something like a laser pico projector may not be suitable.

The distance from the projector to the display wall is about 4mtrs.

I would also prefer something without too much noise.
    My intention is to box it in so that it is invisible.

How can i do this considering heat, airflow etc?

My budget is circa €600 for a projector.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

wandererz wrote: »
    Anybody??

Not sure if by the image you intent to cut a hold in the wall... but that would be messy getting the hole size just right.

An easier solution to look into would be a short throw or ultra short throw projector.

eg. these only need less than a meter throw - you could mount them on a shelf over the arch in the same room.

http://www.optoma.ie/projectorapplication/Short_Throw
    http://www.viewsonic.com/us/projectors/short-throw-and-ultra-short-throw/pjd5350ls.html

Havn't checked reviews on them - but there are lots like this - including one I saw somewhere that shines upwards and only needs a throw of about 30cm.

For cables - depends on your source - just make sure you have a power and hdmi cable - should be enough for anything and you can get converters for the rare things that don't do hdmi (old laptops?).

To get a wow factor though - you will need a decent sound system.
    for background playing christmas films - a hifi or sound bar would be a good starting point - even some high power PC speakers might be ok until you decide you want to keep the setup and invest in proper sound equipment - but a permanent cinema setup definitely needs decent quality loud sounds :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Thanks for the suggestions above. Would like to keep the projector on the other side of wall if possible. Have round drill bits to cut a decent size hole through. Only problem may arise if beams don't allow me to flush mount the projector.

Cables need to be considered. Thanks for that.

Sound: i have a Samsung Bluetooth speaker. I wonder if any of these projectors have Bluetooth. That would solve that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

wandererz wrote: »
    ...Have round drill bits to cut a decent size hole through.
    .... I wonder if any of these projectors have Bluetooth. That would solve that problem.

Remember the projection is quite a large cone - think straight lines from the projector lens out to the 60" or whatever the width of the projected screen.
    I doubt there is enough height in that arch to drill a big enough hole through - plus its most likely holding up your house :)

Bluetooth wouldn't be capable of transmitting high enough quality video - would have be hdmi - some used use composite (separate R+G+B) cables as they can be longer, but they are not as good quality.
    You could place a DVD player or a wifi media player like chromecast/netflix etc right beside the projector on the same shelf and use Wifi - then just a 1m hdmi cable would do? Then you just need power and some wires for audio.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement