Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25yr old professional footballer arrested

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Des wrote: »
    Not very fair? Fúcking disgrace if you ask me.

The scumbag

I'd go around with you.

So you think someone who accidently killed people while drink driving is a murderer and now you want to murder someone who didn't kill anyone?

Seems like you're the one with issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

enda1 wrote: »
    accidently killed people while drink driving
    Is an impossibility.

Someone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk knows what they are doing.

It's not a accident.

It's murder.
    Seems like you're the one with issues.

You obviously don't know anyone who was killed or maimed by a drunk bastard with a car.

:rolleyes:

Is an impossibility.

Someone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk knows what they are doing.

It's not a accident.

It's murder.

You obviously don't know anyone who was killed or maimed by a drunk bastard with a car.

:rolleyes:

It was an accident, it was not murder.

The guy you want to kill didn't kill anyone.

What does it matter if I know anyone who was maimed or killed?

It was an accident, it was not murder.
    It wasn't an accident.

EVERYONE knows that drink impairs driving. Everyone.

For someone to go out and drink as much as he did, and then kill people with his car is no accident.

How you can not see that is beyond me.
    The guy you want to kill didn't kill anyone.
    Maybe not kill the guy, but inflict the same damage that he inflicted on the person he injured. That would be fair.

Or else a prison sentence.

Certainly not just a poxy driving ban or suspended sentence.

These scumbags need a tough message sent out to them.
    What does it matter if I know anyone who was maimed or killed?

None really, with an attitude like yours.

I just hope your mother isn't killed by some drunken scumbag some night, your tune would swiftly change.

It wasn't an accident.

EVERYONE knows that drink impairs driving. Everyone.

For someone to go out and drink as much as he did, and then kill people with his car is no accident.

How you can not see that is beyond me.

Maybe not kill the guy, but inflict the same damage that he inflicted on the person he injured. That would be fair.

Or else a prison sentence.

Certainly not just a poxy driving ban or suspended sentence.

These scumbags need a tough message sent out to them.

None really, with an attitude like yours.

I just hope your mother isn't killed by some drunken scumbag some night, your tune would swiftly change.

Unless the intention was to kill, it was an accident that someone was killed.
    Unless the intention was to crash, it was an accident that he crashed.
    The intention was to drive, that is the initial crime.
    There is also a crime called manslaughter which I guess covers the actions of the guy cause people died as a result of his crime (driving while drunk).

This is not the old testament "an eye for an eye" is far from where any civilised society should be.

I also hope she doesn't get knocked down and killed and I'm sure my attitude would change. This is why there are judges who are supposed to be impartial and give a judgement without prejudice or emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

It wasn't an accident. It was an incident.
    He didn't accidentally get into his car drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The chap is scum in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Obviously, I feel sorry that the fellas life is down the tube, especially the next seven years. However, he got behind the wheel of a car while under the influence. Thats a cardinal sin. Furthermore, his irresponsibility took the lives of two children, who wont be alive in seven years.

Jailtime is the only thing the dude can expect, and he got nothing more and nothing less. Justice was served, to a certain degree.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Obviously, I feel sorry that the fellas life is down the tube,
    What?

I don't feel sorry for the killer, not one little bit.

When he CHOSE to go the pub, drink, and then drive, he chose to send his life down the tubes.

He got less than he deserved.

He killed two children ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What?

When he CHOSE to go the pub, drink, and then drive, he chose to send his life down the tubes.

well said.... its sad, but its sad that the muppet chosed to do that and that two kids are dead.

Its not like 70 years ago when there was about two cars on the roads at 8 miles an hour, full of paddys to the tick with stout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

What?

aS i SAID "TO A CERTAIN EXTENT". His sentence was far too lenient, and he could be out in just under four years. He is effectively going to serve one year and two months a piece for each injured party. That is the problem in the english, and Irish judicial system. People like Luke McCormick are not in need of rehabilitation, nor would paying for them to be rehabilitated be worth it.

His indiscretion should have recieved a lengthier sentence. But thats what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des, have any of your friends or family EVER drank drive?

would you advocate a decade long prison sentence for them? Honestly.

Its real easy for you to be so detached from this affair as you dont know any party involved and everything is black and white to you.

But if a friend of yours, or brother, or father etc had a few drinks at a wedding and drove home hitting no one, would you feel they would deserve a decade long prison sentence for attempted murder? i dont think you would tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Des, have any of your friends or family EVER drank drive?

would you advocate a decade long prison sentence for them? Honestly.

Its real easy for you to be so detached from this affair as you dont know any party involved and everything is black and white to you.

But if a friend of yours, or brother, or father etc had a few drinks at a wedding and drove home hitting no one, would you feel they would deserve a decade long prison sentence for attempted murder? i dont think you would tbh.
    Drunk driving i.e. over twice the legal limit is careless and reckless to teh point it puts other peoples lives in danger, if your family were standing on a road side and some guy was running the down the road with his eyes shut firing a gun would you not want him jailed??

i agree this guy should go to Jail, i wouldnt call it murder though. in the same way i wouldnt call someone who drink drives and doesnt hit someone attempted murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well murder is premeditated so techinally yes it wouldn't be murder, but it would be reckless to the degree of manslaughter imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Unless the intention was to kill, it was an accident that someone was killed.
    Unless the intention was to crash, it was an accident that he crashed.

The intention was to drive, that is the initial crime.
    There is also a crime called manslaughter which I guess covers the actions of the guy cause people died as a result of his crime (driving while drunk).

This is not the old testament "an eye for an eye" is far from where any civilised society should be.

I also hope she doesn't get knocked down and killed and I'm sure my attitude would change. This is why there are judges who are supposed to be impartial and give a judgement without prejudice or emotion.

Rubbish. Its manslaughter. Someone died because of a criminal act. Open and shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Didn't I read somewhere that he had not insurance as well?

Rubbish. Its manslaughter. Someone died because of a criminal act. Open and shut.

Em, I said it was manslaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7719625.stm
    Family angry at 'handcuffs' goal

A footballer has been criticised for a "handcuffs" goal celebration apparently in support of a jailed drink-driver.

Ipswich Town midfielder David Norris crossed his wrists, an apparent message for former team-mate Luke McCormick.

Ex-Plymouth goalkeeper McCormick was jailed for seven years for causing the deaths of Aaron Peak, 10, and Ben Peak, 8, after drinking at Norris's wedding.

The boys' mother Amanda, of Partington, Greater Manchester, said: "You don't do things like that."

She said Ipswich should consider reprimanding the midfielder.

"Fair enough, you're going to show your support, go to prison to see him, write him letters, make phone calls to him, but don't do things like that.

"We're trying hard not to hate Luke McCormick at the moment, but people like David Norris are making it very difficult to do that."

McCormick was twice the drink-drive limit when he crashed into a car carrying the youngsters on the M6 in Staffordshire on 7 June.

Norris, 26, was celebrating scoring Ipswich's winning goal against Blackpool on Saturday when he made the gesture.

A Football Association spokesman said: "We are aware of the incident and have written to Ipswich to seek an explanation from David Norris for his actions and await his response."

A message on Ipswich Town's website said the club would issue a statement later.

If it's true then I hope he gets a good kickin in his next game.

• Advertisement

didnt Cahill do something similar for his brother who is in prison for assault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didnt Cahill do something similar for his brother who is in prison for assault?

Cahill got torn to shreds over that which I didn't agree with. He seems like a genuine, down-to-earth guy who was supporting his brother without necessarily supporting what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

that ipswich town muppet giving the 2 handcuffs sign after scoring will be severally reprimanded by the club .The parents of the two children who were killed by the drunk driver will also expect an apology and rightly so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7719625.stm

If it's true then I hope he gets a good kickin in his next game.

I hope he gets a lot worse done to him in the next game and in 3 weeks time. I hate the club, hate the players and hate Norris even more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kensutz wrote: »
    I hope he gets a lot worse done to him in the next game and in 3 weeks time. I hate the club, hate the players and hate Norris even more.
    Charming!

It was in bad taste, yes. But ffs he's still his friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

latchyco wrote: »
    that ipswich town muppet giving the 2 handcuffs sign after scoring will be severally reprimanded by the club .

Hopefully... no place in football for this rubbish

roryc wrote: »
    Hopefully... no place in football for this rubbish
    He's been fined and warned, and he's apologised.

That should be the end of it.

Charming!

It was in bad taste, yes. But ffs he's still his friend!

The problem lies with the club he's with. Should also get a ban from the FA

kensutz wrote: »
    The problem lies with the club he's with. Should also get a ban from the FA
    Why?

I hate anything associated with the team in Suffolk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

He's claiming it wasn't a handcuff sign.

Norris told the Daily Mirror: "It wasn't a handcuff sign, it was a private message but I can see why people have seen it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I saw a big long interview with the parents on Sky earlier. She just kept saying the same thing over and over again in order to lengthen what she had to say.

I really doubt she was even watching the match. It's been completely blown out of proportion...

He got fined. Knowing the way they run they'll accept 5p in the pound for his fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He's been fined and warned, and he's apologised.

That should be the end of it.
    The end of it yes but their shouldent have being a beginning .It's called iggnorence and insensitivity .
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I saw a big long interview with the parents on Sky earlier. She just kept saying the same thing over and over again in order to lengthen what she had to say.

I really doubt she was even watching the match. It's been completely blown out of proportion...
    I saw the ladys interview on both bbc 1 and itv news and she said -quote '' if the player in question wanted to make a gesture to his mate in jail why doidint he just phone or write a letter but not to do something like that in public ''

What's not watching the match got to do with anything ,it was still wrong of him to do it ?

The end of it yes but their shouldent have being a beginning .It's called iggnorence and insensitivity .
    Have i said otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I agree, people complain about everything nowadays.(you is ignant of spellings btw:D)

Joking aside, if this was all over the papoers, then, just like the Ross/Brand thing, no one would be complaining and the family most likely never would have even known.

If only there was this much outrage about things like diving, that actually matter to the sport and not all this tabloidy rubbish side to it.

Frisbee wrote: »

:confused: Unless she's an Ipswich fan then no I can't imagine she was watching. But what difference does it make? He maed a gesture in front of thousands of people supporting a murderer. Of she's going to have something.

People here have said it was wrong. I doubt they watched the match either.

:He maed a gesture in front of thousands of people supporting a murderer. .

Murder eh? Must have missed that trial.

If your mate or a memebr of your family is jailed for something, are you then banned from supportign him in any way?

You should start protesting the people visiting prisoners , theres no shortage of jails to go along to.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Murder eh? Must have missed that trial.

He killed two kids while drink driving. It couldn't be anything else.
    If your mate or a memebr of your family is jailed for something, are you then banned from supportign him in any way?

You should start protesting the people visiting prisoners , theres no shortage of jails to go along to.

No problem supporting them but at least have a bit of tact about it. It was a stupid thing to do. I'm sure if you lost 2 children to a pissed up driver you wouldn't appreciate someone coming out in public and supporting him. What that player did cannot be justified.

By all means go visit your mate but don't go rubbing it in the noses of the public.

He killed two kids while drink driving. It couldn't be anything else.

I beg to differ, I reckon it was what he got convicted of.

Plus if you look up the definition of murder, theres no way it could be mureder.

Unless you incinuating he picked these people specifically, left where he was, drove till he found them and drove them off the road deliberatley.

No problem supporting them but at least have a bit of tact about it. It was a stupid thing to do..

Stupid people are people too.

• Advertisement

Knowingly getting into a car while drunk makes you a potential murderer imo, and a lot of people would agree, but fair enough if he isn't done for it. I wish he was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Knowingly getting into a car while drunk makes you a potential murderer imo, and a lot of people would agree, but fair enough if he isn't done for it. I wish he was though.

English says otherwise.
    kill unlawfully and with premeditation.

almost all definitions of the word make some mention of premeditation.

So by definition what he did was not murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

In all fairness to Norris, his apology does seem pretty heartfelt. Granted, it was a stupid thing to do, but he's done all that can be asked of him now.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_4483490,00.html

Advertisement