Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland go bottom

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If he kept his mouth shut in the first place until after the tournament there would have been no need to send him home. There's a time and a place to complain. A week or two before the biggest tournament in world football is not that time.

Oh so a quick switch from he walked away to as captain to he shouldn't speak his mind

well that's a different story all together, quickly back tracked.

micko
    "I did it with the best interests of the team at heart when I said he should go home.

jamesozzie wrote: »
    Damn right Keane is not a business man, but he should make the most of the money available to him. Weather you like Keane or not you cant defend his purchases, worst ever. Sure he has an army of strikers, and most of them are complete ***te!!!

And Mick did not "send him home". As pointed out above Keane couldn't put his issues aside and do his best for his country.

I never said he's made good purcahses or not but your questioning him on making money he's not there to make money.

just to clear it up

"I did it with the best interests of the team at heart when I said he should go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

ntlbell wrote: »
    I never said he's made good purcahses or not but your questioning him on making money he's not there to make money.

just to clear it up

Pot Kettle Black - you were having a go at Mick for paying over the odd's for Akinbiye!! Mick is not a businessman either but he should be if he can do business like making a profit on him

edited - apologies - another user was having a go at that purchase

Pot Kettle Black - you were having a go at Mick for paying over the odd's for Akinbiye!! Mick is not a businessman either but he should be if he can do business like making a profit on him

have a look back through the thread mate

i never mentioned akinbiye?

so i dont know what your talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

[quote=jamesozzie;57863180

There have been worse signings than Akinbiyi - even some by your hero Keane and do you know what.......MICKO made a 2m profit on Akinbiyi - brillient!! Would Keane make a profit on any of his overpriced players?[/quote]

He'd probably make a profit on Kenwyne Jones, Kieran Richardson or maybe even Paul McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

edited - apologies - another user was having a go at that purchase

Wrong again, never accused "MICKO" for paying over the odds for Akinbiye!

I'd agree with those three alright but not much more. I just think for the money he spent he could have built up a much better squad

wonder what the odd's are on Sunderland to go down and Wolves to go up, can you put a double bet like that on?

wonder what the odd's are on Sunderland to go down and Wolves to go up, can you put a double bet like that on?

The bookies would only love to take that bet

And i'd only love to take their mulla!!! Mooney in the pocket and satisfaction at Keano getting relegated

• Advertisement

And i'd only love to take their mulla!!! Mooney in the pocket and satisfaction at Keano getting relegated

No value in Wolves getting promoted 4/6, but lay the farm on Sunderland getting relegated, 5-1. Scan up the docket when you have the bet laid. ;)

Might do that......BUT........ what if Keano gets the sack and then they actually get a good manager in who would save them?

Might do that......BUT........ what if Keano gets the sack and then they actually get a good manager in who would save them?

I think your safe, toddle off now and put that money where that large mouth is. ;)

Well I would if I had the condition that the bet doesn't apply if they get a good manager in. So why dont you toddle off home to your Roy Keane decorated room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mick Mc Carthy

Quoted word for word

"So I sent him home"

see?

not

roy "I'm walking away"

Mick: "SO i sent him home"

notice something?

Yes, selectivity.
    OK, so this is pretty off-topic, but I cannot allow you to pander your sympathies without a little honest perspective.

May 21 Roy said he was going home. He relented.
    May 23 Mick sent him home.

In the interim, Roy, in a move Macchiavelli would have been proud of, had maneouvered Mick into a position where he could only either send Roy home or resign.

So, yes he was sent home, but he made damn sure of it.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Yes, selectivity.
    OK, so this is pretty off-topic, but I cannot allow you to pander your sympathies without a little honest perspective.

May 21 Roy said he was going home. He relented.
    May 23 Mick sent him home.

In the interim, Roy, in a move Macchiavelli would have been proud of, had maneouvered Mick into a position where he could only either send Roy home or resign.

So, yes he was sent home, but he made damn sure of it.

I started training when I was about 7 in the dodder park in the early 80's.

We used to up to park in the pissing's of rain in december.

Guess what he had? without fail.

Balls....

bibs.....

Grass.....

Now one of the worlds best footballers captaining the international side goes to travel to the world cup...the WORLD CUP...not trainging in the dodder park in tallaght on a wet night..the WORLD CUP

no balls...

no bibs....

no grass.....

your right, keane's a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I started training when I was about 7 in the dodder park in the early 80's.

We used to up to park in the pissing's of rain in december.

Guess what he had? without fail.

Balls....

bibs.....

Grass.....

Now one of the worlds best footballers captaining the international side goes to travel to the world cup...the WORLD CUP...not trainging in the dodder park in tallaght on a wet night..the WORLD CUP

no balls...

no bibs....

no grass.....

your right, keane's a moron.

The FAI's failings happened long before Saipan with regard to flying economy etc. Everyone knew it.

I agree with what Keane did, just not the timing. He ballsed up the World Cup for a nation.

The FAI's failings happened long before Saipan with regard to flying economy etc. Everyone knew it.

I agree with what Keane did, just not the timing. He ballsed up the World Cup for a nation.

I couldn't care less about them flying economy or not I would prefer money to be spent in far more important places than the lads having a bit of extra foot space.

when there's no balls or proper pitches to train on?

how did he cause that?

we did as well as anyone could of expected in fact we prob did a hell of a lot better without him as the lads played out of their skin to try and make up for it.

keane is the man who got us to the world cup single handed if it wasn't for him we wouldn't of even been in saipain!!

christ all mighty..

I couldn't care less about them flying economy or not I would prefer money to be spent in far more important places than the lads having a bit of extra foot space.

when there's no balls or proper pitches to train on?

how did he cause that?

we did as well as anyone could of expected in fact we prob did a hell of a lot better without him as the lads played out of their skin to try and make up for it.

keane is the man who got us to the world cup single handed if it wasn't for him we wouldn't of even been in saipain!!

christ all mighty..

Well that's bollix anyway. There were other players who played massive roles. He may have been the best player but single handedly? There are eleven men on a pitch.

But if that's the line you want to use then why didn't the Lord Almighty stay to finish what he started? If he single handedly got us there then we were doomed to fail without him, ergo we failed without and because of him.

• Advertisement

Well that's bollix anyway. There were other players who played massive roles. He may have been the best player but single handedly? There are eleven men on a pitch.

But if that's the line you want to use then why didn't the Lord Almighty stay to finish what he started? If he single handedly got us there then we were doomed to fail without him, ergo we failed without and because of him.

Yup and there was 11 men on the pitch at all games in saipain and did very well and only went out on peno's to spain doesn't sound like a world cup ruined to me?

because he was sent home?

The other team members put up with it and Keane should have too

The other team members put up with it and Keane should have too

they sholdn't have to "put up with it" and thanks to keane they won't be suffering it again and they won't have to "put up" being part of an international squad of the best players ireland has to offer with no balls to train with

a thank you would be very welcome.

Yup and there was 11 men on the pitch at all games in saipain and did very well and only went out on peno's to spain doesn't sound like a world cup ruined to me?

because he was sent home?

We wouldn't have needed penalties to beat Spain had he been there and we could have topped the group in the first place.

We wouldn't have needed penalties to beat Spain had he been there and we could have topped the group in the first place.

you have no idea what would of happened would he have played...

and if mick handn't sent him home, we would have found out.

They wouldnt have to "put up" with it anymore if Keane made a fuss about it AFTER the world cup either, would they?

• Advertisement

you have no idea what would of happened would he have played...

and if mick handn't sent him home, we would have found out.

But according to you he carried the team. Therefore by that logic the team would have done better with him in it. Correct?

But according to you he carried the team. Therefore by that logic the team would have done better with him in it. Correct?

it's possible

he also could of got injured in the first 30 seconds putting in some crazy tackle

he could of got sent off

he could of had an off day

the strikers could of had an off day and done **** all

we just dont know

but thanks to mick, we never will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

after the first three pages couldnt of been arsed reading the rest.

those of you who want sunderland to go down and roy keane to fail are ****ing stupid imo. Why would you want a club FULL of irish from the board room to the players/staff to go down?

Disgrace. Stop the begrudgery and get off yere high horses.

Nothing to do with Mick, Im sure even you will agree Keane "could have" put up with the whole setup for the sake of the world cup and do something about it afterwards?

Nothing to do with Mick, Im sure even you will agree Keane "could have" put up with the whole setup for the sake of the world cup and do something about it afterwards?

Personally there's a lot I would put up with to captain Ireland and wear the green.

no balls no training pitches no facilities at the world cup is not one of them.

football management is more people management that it is anything else.

Mick managed the situation very badly

he setup a firing sqaud for keane

the conversation should of been one on one in the mangers quarters and not brought out in front of the players

which is what mick organised

the captain voicing concerns about NO FOOTBALLS for an international team at a WORLD CUP

shocking, how dare he!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

it's possible

he also could of got injured in the first 30 seconds putting in some crazy tackle

he could of got sent off

he could of had an off day

the strikers could of had an off day and done **** all

we just dont know

Oh great a Mick vs Roy thread

Anyway Keane walked out on his teammates at the time and was too stubborn to go back on it ,He regrets it now I would hardly lay the blame at McCarthy's door for that .

It's "could have" by the way

gustavo wrote: »

Anyway Keane walked out on his teammates at the time and was too stubborn to go back on it ,He regrets it now I would hardly lay the blame at McCarthy's door for that .

Sent home.....

gustavo wrote: »

Well said young man, well said!! You'd swear the other lad was actually there at the training camp!!

Well said young man, well said!! You'd swear the other lad was actually there at the training camp!!

To be fair he is a United fan and I honestly don't think I've ever heard one of them say a bad word about Keane over Saipan.

To be fair he is a United fan and I honestly don't think I've ever heard one of them say a bad word about Keane over Saipan.

It has nothing to do with been a united fan.

If he walked out of on the team I'd have never uttered his name again.

He gave Ireland everything in every single game he played in

he wore the shirt with pride he played for ireland like his life depended on it.

There's very very few players you can say that about it.

to turn against him because he wanted the best for his country?

because he didn't want him and the team to be treated worse than an u 11's school boy team when he's just brought his team to the world cup?

off it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I'll join that list Neil... can't believe how many people are siding with McCarthy and saying Keane let down his country etc...

Regardless of which club I support, I think Keane was 100% right in his actions based on the circumstances. Saying things like below are ridiculous

Keane had been at Mick for ages before the tournament, and the c*ck up in Saipan was the last straw.

IMO we wouldn't have gotten to the world cup without him, he had to stand up for what he believed in and thought it was best for him to walk away. I 100% agree, and saying he 'ballsed up the world cup' is absolutely ridiculous... Had he stayed it could well have done more damage due to the tension between him and Mick.

Jesus I'm glad I didn't post over in this forum back in 2002...

roryc wrote: »
    I'll join that list Neil... can't believe how many people are siding with McCarthy and saying Keane let down his country etc...

Regardless of which club I support, I think Keane was 100% right in his actions based on the circumstances. Saying things like below are ridiculous

Keane had been at Mick for ages before the tournament, and the c*ck up in Saipan was the last straw.

IMO we wouldn't have gotten to the world cup without him, he had to stand up for what he believed in and thought it was best for him to walk away. I 100% agree, and saying he 'ballsed up the world cup' is absolutely ridiculous... Had he stayed it could well have done more damage due to the tension between him and Mick.

Jesus I'm glad I didn't post over in this forum back in 2002...

to be fair he's a man city fan I've yet to hear a man city fan say anything good about keane and saipan ;)

to be fair he's a man city fan I've yet to hear a man city fan say anything good about keane and saipan ;)

You disappoint me. I had expected that in your first reply :D

perhaps... although I would have supported Keane in this even if he played for City/ Liverpool etc. Even if this involved another player in another country (unlikely as other countries actually have professional Football Associations) Id still support the player.

Keane was only looking for better facilities and training methods for the team as a whole, not for himself personally. Yes, his timing was off, but IMO he was still right in his actions.

I agree he comes across as a bit of a smug git at times, but no player should feel obliged to please other people (even a whole country) rather than stand up for his own personal beliefs.

Six years on the country is still fairly split over the Keane/ Saipan saga, nothing will change until Keane leads Ireland to the World Cup Final 2020 :)

roryc wrote: »

Six years on the country is still fairly split of the Keane/ Saipan saga, nothing will change until Keane leads Ireland to the World Cup Final 2020 :)

He as a treble to bring to old trafford first obviously ;)

• Advertisement

That goes without saying :)

He'd probably walk out before the final anyway cause there was no bog roll left in the jacks.

He'd probably walk out before the final anyway cause there was no bog roll left in the jacks.

He would have flown out to the stadium a month before hand to test the softness of it..

He would have flown out to the stadium a month before hand to test the softness of it..

He'd probably pay over the odds for it though

He'd probably pay over the odds for it though

then loan it out to the organisers of the milk cup

Advertisement