Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killiney Hill

• 18-02-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Is it just me, or is the climb from Dalkey to the car park on Killiney Hill an absolute fothermucker? Went up for the first time yesterday, was in a puddle at the top.

Bear in mind, I'm a terrible cyclist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is it just me, or is the climb from Dalkey to the car park on Killiney Hill an absolute fothermucker? Went up for the first time yesterday, was in a puddle at the top.

Bear in mind, I'm a terrible cyclist.

Yeah it's kinda steep. Mind you I've never cycled up it. Must test it out some day. Are you just talking about the section within the park itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I did it on a fixed gear last week.. it was tough, but I did it! I think I may go and have a bash at it today aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

Raam wrote: »
    Yeah it's kinda steep. Mind you I've never cycled up it. Must test it out some day. Are you just talking about the section within the park itself?

i'd never been up it before, i just cycled from the village at the bottom, up through a gate, to a car park. i think there's a bit of a walkers' trail after that, didn't fancy hauling my road bike up that.

awful. i gotta get fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The Burma Road is the toughest part of it but it's short, steep but short.

Alternative. From Dalkey village to up to past Fitzpatricks Castle Hotel and go through the green Victoria Gate entrance of Killiney Hilll (opp St. Stephens Church), it's a steep smooth tarmac walking path (so best done when quiet) to the Obilisk at the top. THAT's tough, short but tough.

I used to do circuits between Killiney Dart Station, up past Bono's gaff, up the Vico Road to Killiney Village then down the other side. Was used as apart of a stage in the Nissan Classic way back in the 80s and they were going faster uphill then I can go downhill :eek:!!

Where I live now doesn't have those sorts of climbs and I really miss them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Its part of a well established training lap. If you can climb in the big ring from Dalkey past the hotel and up to the pub at the top, you're getting fit...

• Advertisement

Its part of a well established training lap. If you can climb in the big ring from Dalkey past the hotel and up to the pub at the top, you're getting fit...

I shall investigate and furnish a full report...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Used to do it last year, laps from Dalkey Village, past Collimore Harbour up the Vico, up the Hill to the car park and back down the hill into Dalkey. Did it four times one day. But was building up to that starting at twice. You can make it as hard as you want to by the effort you put in or as easy...........

I had planned on doing laps of Howth on Wednesday morning, maybe I'll head that way instead and give the "big ring challenge" a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Found it hard till I did Glengesh pass in Donegal with it's 1:4 Hairpin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Fell off coming down there years ago. Had to cycle home with me ar5e hanging out. Wasn't there a dog around there too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I remember the first time I did that climb and I had no idea what it was like...got up the first slope and I thought "Wow, that was steep enough", then you turn the corner and there's another slope, then another corner and...yep another slope! The speed bumps on the way up kill any momentum you've built up too

I love the stretch down towards Shankill, great fun and great speed. You gotta watch out for those side roads though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Used to live near that road as a kid and went tobogganing down from the carpark one year when there was heavy snow. Needless to say, I was not able to stop at the end of the road (thankfully I missed any oncoming traffic.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone want to meet up in the near future to....................go through pain.
    Good training....even for the ''Wicklow 200''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

is it advisable to do this using cleats?

guile4582 wrote: »

To do what?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

You'll need to post a picture of what you're doing.

colm18 wrote: »
    You'll need to post a picture of what you're doing.

haha

cycling up killiney hill? is it so steep that one may need to quickly place their foot on the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

haha

cycling up killiney hill? is it so steep that one may need to quickly place their foot on the ground?

Not really. Assuming you are coming from the Harbour the only steepish bit is at the bottom of the Vico just after you turn left from Sorrento Tce. That bit is pretty short.

Ramps up a bit near the top near the Druid's Chair.

Just reading back through this thread. Has anyone climbed all the way up to the Obelisk on a bike in the last few years?

Would love to give it a go but it's a very busy path for walkers. I'm sure cycling there is against some kind of bye-law.

Would be an excellent finish for a hillclimb TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

There's signs up saying any type of cycling is prohibited, also there's always dogs off leash up there so it's probably asking for trouble heading up to the Obelisk, especially at this time of year.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Not really. Assuming you are coming from the Harbour the only steepish bit is at the bottom of the Vico just after you turn left from Sorrento Tce. That bit is pretty short.

this is the route I was gonna go with...

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/dun-laoghaire-l/dalkey-killiney-route-160926416

Statler wrote: »
    There's signs up saying any type of cycling is prohibited, also there's always dogs off leash up there so it's probably asking for trouble heading up to the Obelisk, especially at this time of year.

Figured as much. I'm up there a good bit with my kids and it was just an idle thought. I wouldn't attempt it unless given permission by the powers that be.

I've seen a few lads on mountain bikes around the back of the hill. Not the best place to be testing your downhill skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

daragh_ wrote: »

From the roundabout up to the park is pretty steep. Kilmore Avenue, just before Killiney Dart Station is one of the steepest hills in the area.
    Here it is: https://www.strava.com/routes/2724364

The toughest bit on your route (if I'm reading it correctly) would be the bit going back up the hill after you pass the dart station. If you gear right down and spin you shouldn't have to clip out. Enjoy.

Advertisement