Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download Issue - WestNet Broadband

• 01-09-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello everyone. I've been recently looking into a new broadband provider over the last couple of months as I have been with Three Ireland for almost the last nine years, and have looked into WestNet [Western Ireland Only]. The engineers were out a couple of days ago and installed everything and allowed me to try it out for the week to see what the connection and speed are like around my area.

Only issue that I've noticed is when I try a speed test, it's states what I am meant to be getting - 2Mbps Download, 1Mbps Upload. However, when I download any torrents [uTorrent] or updates for any installed games via Steam, the download speed seems to stick at the 230Kb mark and won't go any higher than that.

This has been my biggest issue for the last couple of days as I'm only getting about 1/10 the download speed of what I'm meant to be getting and not sure what is causing the problem. I checked uTorrent and Steam to see if there was a download limit set, but both don't have them options unchecked.

Any help appreciated. If more information is required, let me know. :)

[Botton image is a SpeedTest of the new broadband provider]

4628706137.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

There's nothing wrong. Your broadband is displayed in megabits and your torrents are using megabytes. 8 bits is 1 byte.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 XylotoWolf

guil wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong. Your broadband is displayed in megabits and your torrents are using megabytes. 8 bits is 1 byte.

So when compared with my current broadband provider [Three Ireland], I'm roughly getting the same results to that of the broadband provider I'm trying out via SpeedTest.net, yet my download is almost double [Almost reaching 550KB, maybe even 600KB] when I'm downloading updates from games via Steam when connected to Three? :confused: This also seems to be the same result for torrents as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

XylotoWolf wrote: »
    So when compared with my current broadband provider [Three Ireland], I'm roughly getting the same results to that of the broadband provider I'm trying out via SpeedTest.net, yet my download is almost double [Almost reaching 550KB, maybe even 600KB] when I'm downloading updates from games via Steam when connected to Three? :confused: This also seems to be the same result for torrents as well.

Mobile speeds will vary wildly based on the usage of the mast. You can go from having 10Mbps to 0.25Mbps in a few minutes depending on how many people are using the bandwidth. That's why Mobile internet is called Midband in these here parts.

What Guil has said (correctly) is that 230KBps is equal to 1.84Mbps/1,840Kbps, which is pretty damned close to what WestNet promised you.

What you have previously got from Three was 4.4Mbps maybe even 4.8Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 39 XylotoWolf

Hmm, got the old bits and bytes mixed up I did then, my mistake. :rolleyes: Gonna have to pay extra then just to get the download speeds close to Three. Cheers for the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Westnet do not allow and actually take measures to interfere with torrents, while the torrent protocol is detected on your connection you'll be getting a low priority route through their network, the dirty queue. Find some other method, a direct download that doesn't open thousands of connections as this is what fixed wireless struggles with, it's causes problems for all customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Westnet do not allow and actually take measures to interfere with torrents, while the torrent protocol is detected on your connection you'll be getting a low priority route through their network, the dirty queue. Find some other method, a direct download that doesn't open thousands of connections as this is what fixed wireless struggles with, it's causes problems for all customers

This is untrue, we do no DPI packet inspection and do not lower the priority for any traffic flows.

We will take action (where required by law to do so ) in relation to illegal downloads, but we do not block or filter.

We also don't provide customer support via boards but I do wish to address the incorrect statement given above.

Brendan Minish (CTO Westnet)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bminish, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

Advertisement