Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB fault Netopia router

• 08-06-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Yesterday there was a fault in my area and the lights were dim in the house/TV kept powering on etc. My Netopia router was flashing (4 lights then kept restarting). When the power came back on the router would not connect to the exchange. There was no DSL light. Rang Vodafone and they said the line does have a fault but I should at least have internet access and it was most likely the router at fault. I reset it twice and still getting no DSL light.

I got a loan of a Zyxel router and it worked perfectly.

I contacted ESB networks about this and they said the fault yesterday wouldn't have damaged it but the router was working perfectly up until this happened.

Had to give out over €60 for a new Netgear router (and I've gone from 2.2mbps to 1.3mbps :@)

Any idea what would have caused this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The Netopia modems are ancient. Not many left around.
    It was probably hanging on by a thread until the returning power killed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The Netopia modems are ancient. Not many left around.
    It was probably hanging on by a thread until the returning power killed it.

Probably

That Netgear N300 is a POS even the Zyxel router was giving me 1.8mbps. All their tech support said was return it and get a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The old 2247s were manufactured ~10 years ago. Its not unlikely that a "brown out" like that could push a failing cap over the edge.

The chip in the 2247s was way more aggresive at syncing than modern units(Zyxel and Huawei for example) on long loops. I've seen a Zyxel pull 1.1 when the Netopia(motorola) was dandy at 2.0Mb. If you are 4KM+ from the exchange I'd look to try and find a modern equivalent, the kitz lads should be able to point you right there.

Turns out it was the adapter that was damaged yesterday and there wasn't enough power to the router hence it kept restarting. I found another Netopia adapter in the shed. Back to 2.5mbps delighted. They are an amazing little router. I suppose I'll keep the Netgear for a spare.

I have an Efibre Zyxel router here if anyone in the Thurles area needs it.

So a brand new Motorola Netopia 2247-62 router just arrived from the states today. €7.99 (plus €17 to Pitney Bowes for shipping)

12v DC from my old one. Gone from 2.2mbps on the 5 year old Eircom branded router to just slightly under 2.6mbps on the new Motorola branded router. Few minor differences to the Eircom branded router. Noticed there's no firewall and instead of saying DSL available and Connected it says Up and Up.

Warranty start date 10/11/2015 though I doubt it will be replaced/repaired. Sale of Motorola mobility to Google a few years ago http://www.arrisi.com/ this crowd took over.

• Advertisement

Nice, how low is it letting your SNR go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

So a brand new Motorola Netopia 2247-62 router just arrived from the states today. €7.99 (plus €17 to Pitney Bowes for shipping)

Was it easy to set up the internet connection on it ?

Strange there is no firewall on it , is it still working good for you ?

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    Was it easy to set up the internet connection on it ?

Strange there is no firewall on it , is it still working good for you ?

Works the exact same as my old eircom branded one (slightly faster) just feels new and not as many miles on the clock.

Correction there was a firewall. I forgot I was in the Expert mode menu. Firewall settings are only shown in the basic mode menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

Of course the ESB will say that, but they're wrong, low voltage can damage most electrical devices, especially motors. had low voltage in our area recently , measured it at 50v , lights dim etc, 3 sky boxes in our street blown as result , same answer from ESB , best to power off all sockets and leave one light on for an indication of the power returning

Works the exact same as my old eircom branded one (slightly faster) just feels new and not as many miles on the clock.

Correction there was a firewall. I forgot I was in the Expert mode menu. Firewall settings are only shown in the basic mode menu.

Hi I just ordered one from USA , how long does it take to Ireland ?

• Advertisement

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    Hi I just ordered one from USA , how long does it take to Ireland ?

12 days. An Post kept the item in their depot for 3 days for some strange reason.

lol , looking forward to getting it. Thanks

Got a PM asking where to buy.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/262105410134

Received someone elses order by mistake. 2 Routers.

Pitney Bowes sent them to me.

Had a really (what's the word) Livechat with eBay who kept insisting I claim via PayPal despite the fact it has nothing to do with me or my completed order.

Received someone elses order by mistake. 2 Routers.

Pitney Bowes sent them to me.

Had a really (what's the word) Livechat with eBay who kept insisting I claim via PayPal despite the fact it has nothing to do with me or my completed order.

I recon they are mine I ordered 2 . One for me and another for a friend . I pm'd you details.

Posted to

An Post Customer Service
    Freepost
    Ground Floor
    GPO
    O'Connell Street
    Dublin

Affixed a note to the package with your name as the intended recipient and telephone number so when the lady I talked to gets it she'll call you.

I also got a postal certificate so you'll have proof the routers were sent to the GPO. See attachment below.

You could probably chance your arm right now by calling An Post sorting office in Clongour Thurles on (0504) 21258 and get them to amend the address to your own. I don't think the post there is brought to Portlaoise until 2/3am

Hi thanks very much I rang that phone number ,but they are closed.

Hopefully get it on Friday .

You have gone out of your way to help me - much appreciated .

Boardsies being top class gents as usual, nice one Grab All.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

ED E wrote: »
    Boardsies being top class gents as usual, nice one Grab All.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

They sure are.

Advertisement