Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doubting Thomas

• 29-05-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Out of interest how would most Christians view Thomas? As he was a skeptic and demanded the same evidence as most non-believers today could I assume he would be generally frowned upon. I mean even if you accept the dodgy Apocrypha dealing with Thomas' martyrdom, the legend of his willingness to die for Jesus becomes pretty meaningless when you realise he didn't die for his faith (he didn't have any), but for his 100% certainty of Jesus' resurrection which of course is quite a bit easier.

Also why exactly is Thomas singled out and described as "Doubting" when according to the Gospel of Luke all of the apostles (apart maybe from Peter) refused to believe Jesus was risen until he appeared to them in Jerusalem. Why are they not described as Doubting James, Doubting John, Doubting Batholomew, Doubting Thaddeus etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Out of interest how would most Christians view Thomas? As he was a skeptic and demanded the same evidence as most non-believers today could I assume he would be generally frowned upon. I mean even if you accept the dodgy Apocrypha dealing with Thomas' martyrdom, the legend of his willingness to die for Jesus becomes pretty meaningless when you realise he didn't die for his faith (he didn't have any), but for his 100% certainty of Jesus' resurrection which of course is quite a bit easier.

Also why exactly is Thomas singled out and described as "Doubting" when according to the Gospel of Luke all of the apostles (apart maybe from Peter) refused to believe Jesus was risen until he appeared to them in Jerusalem. Why are they not described as Doubting James, Doubting John, Doubting Batholomew, Doubting Thaddeus etc?

It is untrue to say Thomas didn't have any faith. He certainly had faith, but on one famous occasion was rebuked for refusing to believe something when he already had abundant evidence of who Christ was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I can definitely empathise with the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

PDN wrote: »
    It is untrue to say Thomas didn't have any faith. He certainly had faith, but on one famous occasion was rebuked for refusing to believe something when he already had abundant evidence of who Christ was.

What faith did he have? He point blank refused to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead unless he had absolute proof. How could that be considered faith?

Thinking about it again he was even more skeptical than most people today, if the mirace stories of Jesus are true then he would have seen so many great works by Jesus and still wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Depeche_Mode, to be honest with you I see a little of myself in Thomas when I struggle with doubt sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What faith did he have? He point blank refused to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead unless he had absolute proof. How could that be considered faith?

Thinking about it again he was even more skeptical than most people today, if the mirace stories of Jesus are true then he would have seen so many great works by Jesus and still wasn't impressed.

Faith is belief based on evidence rather than absolute proof.

Thomas showed faith prior to the post-resurrection encounter with Jesus (He answered the call to discipleship, healed the sick etc). He showed faith after Christ's ascension (preaching the Gospel, risking persecution and martyrdom, and, if my Indian friends are to be believed, taking the Gospel to their country). On this one occasion he failed and was rebuked by Christ.

Thomas is like so many of the rest of that have faith. Sometimes we fail and show a disappointing lack of faith in certain areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement