Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof God Exists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ptge

Sean_K wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm wrong now but
    Are you ripping the proverbial?

Yawn. This gets so tiresome. I pose questions that you cannot answer and the troll accusation comes out. Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Here's my experience:

"Absolute truth does not exist"
    "Absolutely true"

Then it redirects you back to the question about whether absolute truth exists or not. Wouldn't trust the logic behind that too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Karlusss wrote: »
    Here's my experience:

"Absolute truth does not exist"
    "Absolutely true"

Then it redirects you back to the question about whether absolute truth exists or not. Wouldn't trust the logic behind that too much.

Saying "Absolute truth does not exist," is making an absolute truth claim and is therefore self-refuting, that is why you are directed back to the original question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ptge wrote: »
    How do you know about all these characteristics of God?

Actually, I'm going to break this up into 3 seperate sections:

1. What is a God and how do you know this for sure?
    2. Assuming God has been defined, why does it exist, how do you know for sure?
    3. Assuming a God exists, how do you know it's a Christian God?

So how long have you been on boards then? New account is it? Have I ever made a troll accusation before?

Been on boards since the website has been up (almost 2 years). Been banned from 4 or 5 atheist boards that posted the link, for being 'too stupid,' or being a 'troll.' It's always the same though, people say that the website is bunk, but when they are challenged to support their claims, start making unfounded accusations (like you did).

Cheers,

Sye

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    How do you know about all these characteristics of God?

Same answer to all your questions: By His revelation. Now, how about addressing my questions?

Cheers,

Sye

Same answer to all your questions: By His revelation.
    How do you know this revelation is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Been on boards since the website has been up (almost 2 years). Been banned from 4 or 5 atheist boards that posted the link, for being 'too stupid,' or being a 'troll.' It's always the same though, people say that the website is bunk, but when they are challenged to support their claims, start making unfounded accusations (like you did).

Cheers,

Sye

Hi ptge,
    Are there any forums where you debate these things without been banned or censored?
    I would like to read a proper discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ok ok...my last post on this thread I swear...probably more suited to humour.
    http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm some of them are funny.

No 31 has a particular relevance to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The proof is quite simply that proof of anything is impossible without God. If anyone here wishes to refute the proof, please demonstrate how proof of anything is possible without God.

Cheers,

Sye

That's circular reasoning, i.e. a logical fallacy.
    You may be dissapointed to find that people in this forum are not the gullible idiots that you aim for on your site.

Because He has revealed it in such a way that I can be certain of it. (All of us actually). Now, um, my questions?

Hi ptge,
    Are there any forums where you debate these things without been banned or censored?

I'll see if I can dig some up tomorrow. I just got back from Holland a few hours ago and am jet-lagged out of my gourd.

Cheers,

Sye

Standman wrote: »
    That's circular reasoning, i.e. a logical fallacy.
    You may be dissapointed to find that people in this forum are not the gullible idiots that you aim for on your site.

And as I have asked, a few times now, to what laws of logic are you appealing to, how do you justify those laws, and why do they apply to me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

please demonstrate how proof of anything is possible without God.
    Well.... by way of contradiction, the pythagorean theorem [...] No god involved.
    Game, set and match to Sean_K.

Thanks for playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

And I state that it is proven by the impossibility of the contrary. In logic, it is what is known as a 'transcendental argument.' Simply posit your logical contrary, and we'll go from there. (And no, I'm not holding my breath :-)

Ok, I may be a fool but I'll bite.

Firstly: you have not in any way 'proven' the impossibility of the contrary

Secondly: even if we accept your argument, this has no bearing on whether it's the christian god, allah or some other as yet unknown.

Thirdly: you demonstrate conceptual necessity, which is not the same thing as demonstrating necessary existence.

Fourthly: Your assertion of absolute morality logically contradicts the existence of god - since if morality is dependent on the will of god it is not therefore absolute. (Edit: ) And if morality is absolute then it is a higher power than god, which is logically impossible. In fact this is as near as dammit to a logical proof that god doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The proof is quite simply that proof of anything is impossible without God. If anyone here wishes to refute the proof, please demonstrate how proof of anything is possible without God.

Cheers,

Sye

That statement is meaningless. One could just as easily say that proof of anything is impossible without chicken salad.

Firstly "proof" is a mathematical concept. Something is logically true based on the axioms of mathematics or logic. Hence the example of trigonometry. No God required. I suspect that you don't quite follow what the word "proof" actually means.

Secondly the idea that your argument is proven by the impossibility of the contrary is committing the logical fallacy of ignorance (eg I've never seen a non-white swan, therefore all swans must be white).

You haven't demonstrated that a contrary is impossible, you just can't think of one. That isn't the same thing at all. Your ignorance in the matter is not something to base a logical proof on. You could simply be wrong.

As I said the main problem with the site is the lack of answers.

Lets see how I did

Question 1 - Does absolute truth exist?

I certainly think it does, but that is a different matter to whether or not we can know something is true for certain. But anyway, I click yes.

Question 2 - Do laws of logic exist?

Yes, though given that logic is a mental process "exist" might be the wrong word here. But anyway, I click yes

Question 3 - Do laws of mathematics exist?

Again I agree, but have reservations as mathematics is a mental concept, so "exist" is not the right word here.

Question 4 - Do laws of science exist?

This is where the problems start. No, laws of science do not exist, because it is impossible for a human to determine with certainty the absolute accuracy of a scientific model. But when I select "No" I am informed that if laws of science do not exist then I cannot predict anything using scientific models. This is an error. It is not impossible to predict things without absolute laws, it is simply impossible to predict things with absolute certainty.

For example, I'm pretty sure if I jump out of window I will fall to the ground. But I cannot state that this is an unchangeable "law" because I do not have enough information. There could be a reason unknown to me that will demonstrate an inaccuracy in the model of gravity that we use to predict that I will fall.

This has been shown time and again in science, as models get to a high degree of accuracy (such as Newtonian physics) only for an even more accurate theory to come along (such as General Relativity) At no point is it possible to determine if Newtonian physics was a "law" and it turns out that it wasn't.

So we run into a bit of a problem here because I'm being rather rudely informed that I'm wrong and a hypocrite when in fact the problem here is the authors misunderstanding of the difference between acceptable predictability and absolute predictability.

But if we want to go any further I guess we will have to click Yes

Question 5 - Does absolute morality exist?

Again I want to click no here. Morality is a human concept, and while evolution has developed a number of common instinctive "moral" behavior shared by most humans, there is no reasonable way to say that morality is absolute outside of human mental concepts.

Of course, as is becoming a problem with this site, I'm rudely informed that I've selected the wrong answer. To demonstrate this the author comes up with the though experiment of whether I ever thing that raping children can be good.

The point that is being missed here is that I never think raping children can be good, but obviously some people do think raping children is good (the rapists). My morality is not universal, but that doesn't matter to me. I don't care if someone else things raping children is good, I don't respect their opinion on the matter because I think it is bad.

The authors issue with this can be seen if one lies and clicks "yes" where they are supposed to until they are asked if all these laws are universal or person

Not only would these alternate laws be common, they would have to be 'right' since there would be no universal standard to evaluate their correctness

Can anyone spot the problem with that sentence? If there is no universal standard to evaluate the correctness of these "laws" they why does the author assert that they would have to be right?

For example raping children might considered "right" to a child rapist. I don't care. It isn't considered right to me. Where does it say that I have to respect the morality of a child rapist just because universal morality doesn't exist?

The issue seems to be the authors inability to process a world where black and white decrees on issues of science or ethics or morality do not exist.

This seems, in my opinion, quite common among people draw to religion, as religion through the assertion of the existence of the authority of God, claims to offer this black and whiteness.

My own feelings on the matter is that this is an adult version of the way children turn to their parents to make absolute decrees on various matters, decrees that we instinctively trust. When we get older some of us seem to still desire this authority, and turn to religion to offer this (God the Father and all that).

You can see this in the authors weakest logical jump (leap of faith). At the end of all this, if we clicked all the correct answers, we arrive at the conclusion that

"To reach this page you had to acknowledge that immaterial, universal, unchanging laws of logic, mathematics, science, and absolute morality exist."

And then out of the blue the author asserts

"Only in a universe governed by God can universal, immaterial, unchanging laws exist."

Why? The author seems to just take this statement as a given, a logical axiom as it where. And this is where ultimately he betrays his motivation.

There is no logic or reason behind this statement, the author just pops it in. I'm sure in their limited world view this is the only option they can conceive. Just like the child can only conceive of authority from the parent, he appears to be only able to conceive of authority from a parent like figure, God the Father.

We replace our parents with God when we realize that our parents are simply fallible humans like the rest of us. We seek to replace their authority with the authority of something that won't betray us with their infallibility, a supernatural entity that cannot be wrong, because we seek the comfort we had as children when this authority decided for us what was right, what was wrong, what is and what isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

And as I have asked, a few times now, to what laws of logic are you appealing to, how do you justify those laws, and why do they apply to me?

Ok since you have made up your own laws of logic I think I'll use them aswell: The proof that god doesn't exist is that nothing could exist without god not existing. Using your logic you must accept that as proof, that is, unless you have made up some more of your laws of logic to fit around it.
    Also shouldn't your site come with a warning stating that you are not using the normal laws of logic? Is it not a bit dishonest to present something as "proof" through the use of logic when it is your own brand of "logic" that you are using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hey don't get too far ahead :-) I simply asked why circular logic is not allowed according to your worldview?
    Circular reasoning is a trick, it doesn't prove anything. It just takes an arbitrary statement as a premise and then rephrases it as a conclusion

"God must be great because he is a great god"

does that prove anything? of course not.

"God must exist because he wouldn't be a god if he didn't exist"

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Ptge, reading through your posts, I have come to the conclusion that there is no reasonable way to argue against your point.

If I understand you correctly, your reasoning is something like:

The existence of logic implies the existence of god.
    Using the contrapositive, we can therefore infer that "No god" implies "no logic". Then, any arguments against the existence of god will rely on logic which is not rigorous.

It's not a bad argument, and it's logically consistent (though I am not a logician. There could easily be something subtle which I'm missing). It's also unrefutable, since any argument which refutes it will automatically use logic which is suspect, if you accept the premise.

However, it does rely on acceptance of the premise, that the existence of logic imples the existence of god. I guess that's where you and I will have to agree to disagree. Personally I would say that logic exists, but does NOT necessarily imply the existence of god, and therefore I can disallow circular reasoning.

I'd also call on people to stop calling him a troll. He's making a point which, in some respects, is very reasonable.

Fremen wrote: »
    Ptge, reading through your posts, I have come to the conclusion that there is no reasonable way to argue against your point.

If I understand you correctly, your reasoning is something like:

The existence of logic implies the existence of god.
    Using the contrapositive, we can therefore infer that "No god" implies "no logic". Then, any arguments against the existence of god will rely on logic which is not rigorous.

It's not a bad argument, and it's logically consistent (though I am not a logician. There could easily be something subtle which I'm missing). It's also unrefutable, since any argument which refutes it will automatically use logic which is suspect, if you accept the premise.

However, it does rely on acceptance of the premise, that the existence of logic imples the existence of god. I guess that's where you and I will have to agree to disagree. Personally I would say that logic exists, but does NOT necessarily imply the existence of god, and therefore I can disallow circular reasoning.

I'd also call on people to stop calling him a troll. He's making a point which, in some respects, is very reasonable.

Wow, this is the most reasoned response I have ever gotten to a post in all the time I have been doing this. Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to your becoming a Christian. :D

Indeed it seems like you've got the argument down. So, to our point of disagreement, how do you account for the universal, abstract, invariant laws of logic according to your worldview?

I wish that I had more time to answer the other posts, and I will try to get to them in the next couple of days, but currently I'm swamped. I wish that you would take the time to send me an e-mail at sye@proofthatgodexists.org I am starting to write a book, and you seem like the type of person that I'd like to bounce some ideas off of.

Again, thanks for that great post.

Cheers,

Sye

Hi ptge,

Are you on facebook? I had a lengthy discussion on there a while back, and if you can access it, I'll dig up the link.

Cheers,

Sye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Are you on facebook? I had a lengthy discussion on there a while back, and if you can access it, I'll dig up the link.

Cheers,

Sye

No not on facebook, would like to read the discussion please.

No not on facebook, would like to read the discussion please.

I think you'll have to join (facebook.com) to read it, but here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2219988660&topic=4120&start=0&hash=8828ca995325090039c8b66aa19c3d5a

Cheers,
    Sye

Fremen wrote: »
    It's not a bad argument, and it's logically consistent

It is a terrible argument, he is begging the question, in that the conclusion he is attempting to reach is already assumed in the first part. It is basically

- Suppose God is necessary for logic to exist
    - Since we are using logic obviously logic exists
    - God exists

The first part and the third part, are the same thing. It may be logically consistent but it is also logically pointless because he has already assumed the truth of the statement in part one. You could replace "God" in that statement with anything and it would still hold.

- Suppose Satan is necessary for logic to exist
    - Satan exists.

- Suppose Santa Clause is necessary for logic to exist
    - Santa Clause exists.

Wicknight wrote: »
    It is a terrible argument, he is begging the question, in that the conclusion he is attempting to reach is already assumed in the first part. It is basically

- Suppose God is necessary for logic to exist
    - God exists

Actually it's:

- God is the necessary precondition for logic
    - Logic exists, therefore God exists.
    You could replace "God" in that statement with anything and it would still hold.

Go ahead, make your case for 'anything' else being the necessary precondition for logic. The laws of logic are universal, abtsract, and invariant, please demonstrate how any other entity accounts for those elements of logic, and how you know this.

Cheers,

Sye

...or, in its own terms:

"Not-god is necessary for logic to exist."

Therefore X=¬X and the true absurdity of this argument becomes apparent.

The laws of logic are universal, abtsract, and invariant, please demonstrate how any other entity accounts for those elements of logic, and how you know this.
    The "laws" of logic were created and defined by humans, and many existed by the time of the ancient Greeks, though not always in their current format.

How do you know that "god" is necessary for the laws of logic? You're assuming the consequent as the argument stands.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    ...or, in its own terms:

"Not-god is necessary for logic to exist."

Therefore X=¬X and the true absurdity of this argument becomes apparent.

Um, logically absurd? If so, how do you account for the laws of logic you are appealing to in making this claim?
    The "laws" of logic were created and defined by humans, and many existed by the time of the ancient Greeks, though not always in their current format.

So, could the sun have been both the sun and not the sun at the same time and in the same way before the ancient Greeks created the law of non-contradiction???
    How do you know that "god" is necessary for the laws of logic? You're assuming the consequent as the argument stands.

Um no, I know this the only way that anyone can know anything, by His revelation.

Cheers,

Sye

I know this the only way that anyone can know anything, by His revelation.
    Since you know what I have written, I must assume that you think that what I wrote is a revelation and therefore, that I am He who is God.

Interesting -- a christian thinks (or proves?) that an atheist is God. Praise be!

Since you know what I have written, I must assume that you think that what I wrote is a revelation and therefore, that I am He who is God.

Interesting -- a christian thinks (or proves?) that an atheist is God. Praise be!

Yip folks, this is what I mean. I ask valid questions and get posts like this as a response. Disappointingly telling.

I ask valid questions and get posts like this as a response. Disappointingly telling.
    No need to get antsy -- I'm just pointing out where your faulty logic is leading you.

By all means fall down and praise me if you like, but it's not necessary, since your logic is broken and I'm not really a god at all :)

Yip folks, this is what I mean. I ask valid questions and get posts like this as a response. Disappointingly telling.
    You don't ask valid questions, you just repeat a dogma and pretend it's logic.

Your entire argument is an obvious and primitive version of circular reasoning.

What you really want to prove is that god is the source of all order in the universe, but you can't prove that, so you just assume that it is true and then ridicule others for pointing out that you have made an assumption.

Wicknight said this to demonstrate the absurdity of your reasoning:
    "Suppose Satan is necessary for logic to exist
    - Satan exists. "

And you dismissed by claiming that 'only god can control order' obviously in reference to the christian god.

Your argument as far as it goes only needs a cosmic force to regulate the order and maintain the natural forces in physics and chemistry. That cosmic force could be anything. It could be non sentient, it could be pure evil, it could be Satan, it could be a magic unicorn sitting on one of the moons of Saturn.

There is absolutely nothing in your 'proof' that supports the existence of the christian god other than your absurd introduction of 'absolute morality' which is patently false because morality changes over time and over places. (stoning to death was commonoplace in biblical times, but abhorred today, the god of the old testament murdered the first born child of every family in egypt and tortured the entire race of people just to prove a point to a corrupt dictator.. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Um, logically absurd? If so, how do you account for the laws of logic you are appealing to in making this claim?

According to step 6b of your "proof", laws of logic are universal, and in order for something to be universal, it has to work for anyone, anywhere, all of the time. Your (or anyones) circular logic is never unversal because it can never work for any situation where there is no bias towards any possible outcome of the logic.
    Um no, I know this the only way that anyone can know anything, by His revelation.

How do you know its His revelation? You are assuming the validity of your senses, your reasoning, your memory and laws of logic in order to come to this conclusion.
    ptge wrote:
    God is the necessary precondition for logic

Where did you get this from? Reason is the necessary precondition for logic.

Actually it's:

- God is the necessary precondition for logic
    - Logic exists, therefore God exists.

That is the same thing, except you have simply removed the "suppose" bit.

Given that that is the starting assumption (you haven't demonstrated with earlier stages that God is a necessary precondition for logic) my way was correct. You are supposing the first condition, and the rest of the logic only holds if you do.
    Go ahead, make your case for 'anything' else being the necessary precondition for logic.
    That is the point. You haven't made a case for God being a necessary precondition for logic, you have simply supposed that it is as your starting position. You can do that with anything. You could do that with chicken salad.

- Suppose chicken salad is a necessary precondition for logic
    - Logic exists
    - Therefore chicken salad exists.

What you have encouraged (to be polite) the user of your site to do is to reach the conclusion that logic exist (step 2). You then use that as a reason God exists because of your supposition in step 1.

The problem is you have never "made the case" for step 1 at all. You just say no one (ie you) can't imagine how logic could exist without God, which is nonsense.
    The laws of logic are universal, abtsract, and invariant, please demonstrate how any other entity accounts for those elements of logic, and how you know this.

Who said an "entity" has to account for them in the first place? That is an unfounded assumption on your part.

Why you are even applying that to logic I'm not even sure. Logic is a cognitive process in the thought patterns of humans. I assume what you real means is order in nature, which is different to logic.

But even if an entity does have to account (I assume you are one of these people who thinks the universe must have been created by something) that still doesn't demonstrate it was the Christian notion of God.

So you are making two jumps of faith.

Firstly you suppose that an intelligent entity must account for logic (or order, or whatever)

Secondly you suppose that this intelligent entity must be God because you can't imagine anything else.

Both those two things have nothing to do with logic or reasoning on your part. You haven't "proven" God, you have simply inserted him, unnecessarily, because you want to.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Your entire argument is an obvious and primitive version of circular reasoning.

Well, I disagree, but still, I have asked many times, why is circular reasoning not allowed according to your worldview?
    Wicknight said this to demonstrate the absurdity of your reasoning:
    "Suppose Satan is necessary for logic to exist
    - Satan exists. "

And you dismissed by claiming that 'only god can control order' obviously in reference to the christian god.

No, I asked him to demonstrate how any other entity can justify the laws of logic.
    Your argument as far as it goes only needs a cosmic force to regulate the order and maintain the natural forces in physics and chemistry. That cosmic force could be anything. It could be non sentient, it could be pure evil, it could be Satan, it could be a magic unicorn sitting on one of the moons of Saturn.

Well, why don't you just tell us what you believe, and we can go from there.
    There is absolutely nothing in your 'proof' that supports the existence of the christian god

Huh? The whole site is about the Christian God.
    other than your absurd introduction of 'absolute morality' which is patently false because morality changes over time and over places.

Um no, behaviour may change but that has absolutely nothing to do with the existence of absolute morality.

Cheers,

Sye

• Advertisement

According to step 6b of your "proof", laws of logic are universal, and in order for something to be universal, it has to work for anyone, anywhere, all of the time.

Who do the laws of logic not 'work' for?
    How do you know its His revelation?

Because He has revealed it in such a way that we can be certain of it.
    You are assuming the validity of your senses, your reasoning, your memory and laws of logic in order to come to this conclusion.

Well, I'm not since I believe that God can reveal things to us entirely apart from our senses, reasoning, and memory, but still, I can account for their reliability as I know them to be a gift from God. How do you know that your senses, reasoning, and memory are reliable?
    Where did you get this from? Reason is the necessary precondition for logic.

And God is the necessary precondition for reason.

Cheers,

Sye

You are supposing the first condition, and the rest of the logic only holds if you do.

The only way this disagreement can be resolved is if we evaluate the validity of our presuppositions, yes, I presuppose God in order to justify the laws of logic, how do you justify them?
    That is the point. You haven't made a case for God being a necessary precondition for logic, you have simply supposed that it is as your starting position. You can do that with anything. You could do that with chicken salad.

How does chicken salad account for universal, abstract, invariants, and how do you know this?
    The problem is you have never "made the case" for step 1 at all. You just say no one (ie you) can't imagine how logic could exist without God, which is nonsense.

Um, by what standard of logic is my argument 'nonsense,' how do you account for that standard, and why does it apply to my argument?
    Who said an "entity" has to account for them in the first place? That is an unfounded assumption on your part.

Posit your contrary, so we can compare.
    Why you are even applying that to logic I'm not even sure. Logic is a cognitive process in the thought patterns of humans. I assume what you real means is order in nature, which is different to logic.

So, could the sun have been both the sun and not the sun at the same time and in the same way before humans were around to have the 'thought patterns' of logic??? How do the thought patterns of one human have any bearing on the thought patterns of another? How do thought patterns in any way become law-like?
    But even if an entity does have to account (I assume you are one of these people who thinks the universe must have been created by something) that still doesn't demonstrate it was the Christian notion of God.

If anyone wishes to posit another justifiction for logic, I will be happy to refute them. (Not holding my breath though).
    So you are making two jumps of faith.

Well, let's see who is really making the 'jump of faith.' Please tell us how you account for the laws of logic.

Cheers,

Sye

The only way this disagreement can be resolved is if we evaluate the validity of our presuppositions, yes, I presuppose God in order to justify the laws of logic, how do you justify them?

Well if we are talking about logic rather than order in the universe, I "justify" them through their own declaration.

Logic is a human formal system of organising and classifying statements.

Logic is based on a set of human defined rules. If you stick to the rules you can declare a position to be logical, if you don't then it isn't.

If you like you can go off and make your own set of rules.

Think of it like computer code. Computer code is "justified" by the fact that the computer runs the code that follows the set of standards, and doesn't run the code that doesn't. The standards are defined by humans, by the people who design the chips.
    How does chicken salad account for universal, abstract, invariants, and how do you know this?
    No idea. But then you haven't explained how God does either. Which again was my point. You can suppose anything in part one of that statement and still end up with a logical statement.
    Um, by what standard of logic is my argument 'nonsense,' how do you account for that standard, and why does it apply to my argument?
    Your argument is not nonsense by standards of logic, it is just nonsense.

Your lack of ability to imagine a world where logic can exist without God is neither here nor there. It doesn't demonstrate anything, because you could simply lack imagination. It certain does not justify the supposition that God is necessary for logic to exist, because you are ignoring the alternative, that God isn't necessary for logic to exist but you just can't imagine that.
    Posit your contrary, so we can compare.
    The contrary is that an intelligent creator entity is not required for any of those things to exist. Compare away.
    So, could the sun have been both the sun and not the sun at the same time and in the same way before humans were around to have the 'thought patterns' of logic???
    Possibly.

You are making the mistake of apply the human derived laws of cognitive logic to the structure of the natural world, which there is little evidence they must hold as anyone who spend any time looking at quantum physics will tell you.

The universe does some really weird stuff, the idea that our mental organisational processes or way of organising statements (such as logic) have any hold over how the universe works is a fallacy.
    How do the thought patterns of one human have any bearing on the thought patterns of another? How do thought patterns in any way become law-like?
    They don't, at least not in the natural world.

I can decide a set of rules, and I can assess if you are or are not following these rules when you make statements. The rules of logic are human inventions, pretty standardised by philosophers over the years, but they have little bearing outside of human discussion.

Come on now ptge, You can't defend a 'logical' statement by saying 'well, can you think of a better way'

Thats not how it works.

You think god is the source of logic/order, to defend that belief (not fact), you demand that we provide a better answer.

If I say,I don't believe that there needs to be an entity that controls order in the universe, the fact that there is apparent order could just be a natural process.

You'll probably either ignore that statement, or declare me wrong, or say 'well that's just as much a leap of faith as believing in god'

None of those responses in any way count as 'proof' of your initial assumption.

Then you go on about god revealing himself in such a way that you can be certain that it is true. Talk about pure unadulterated nonsense. You declare the empirical senses as unreliable, and then make an astounding leap to declare a 'feeling' or 'hunch' to be uncorruptable and 100% reliable.
    Because He has revealed it in such a way that we can be certain of it....

Well, I'm not since I believe that God can reveal things to us entirely apart from our senses, reasoning, and memory, but still, I can account for their reliability as I know them to be a gift from God. How do you know that your senses, reasoning, and memory are reliable?

It is utterly baffling that you so easily write off all human experience as fallable except for this extra sensory feeling that you are being talked to by god.

It's not logic, it's a mental disorder.

Why the need to justify them?

I don't know why the world is why it is, but I don't see how a God explains it.

You still haven't informed us why you believe that a God, and a Christian God at that, is the explanation for everything. Saying "revelation" is a cop out. There's no good reason to believe that this supposed revelation is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Who do the laws of logic not 'work' for?

Read my posts, will you. Circular logic cannot work for any argument where you start off with no idea at all about the outcome. Without bias for an outcome, you cannot use that outcome to make the starting premise that the outcome relies on. Therefore circular logic does not work universally, therefore it is invalid.
    Also, its not about "who" they work for, its just about whether they work: if laws of logic (or maths, or science, or morality) are universal then they are impersonal, it doesn't who, when, why you are, they apply.
    Because He has revealed it in such a way that we can be certain of it.

What way is that? (Funny, too, then that few are certain of this revelation, and that many are certain of their own revelations even if they contradict other peoples revelations.)

Why do question other peoples senses while claiming that yours are a gift from god? How do you know that their a gift from god? Do you think you are special?
    And God is the necessary precondition for reason.

And where do you get this from?

For you own reference, some here considere you a troll because you have answered almost every question with a question and while you may, conceivably, be able to find holes in other peoples argument this way (note: you haven't so far) this way by no means makes you argument any the stronger. The fact that you keep questioning the same questions with the same questions (eg questioning where people get their logic from, why they hold to it and asking why it should apply to you) shows you have no actual backup to what you are saying. The reason this makes you a troll (and why you should stop) because if people did the exact same as (never backing up their claims, just questioning your logic, its origin and why it should appliy to them) the argument would go nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Posit your contrary, so we can compare...

If anyone wishes to posit another justifiction for logic, I will be happy to refute them. (Not holding my breath though).

OK, let's suppose the entire Universe - literally everything we can perceive or deduce by our senses, reason, and scientific modelling - is in fact a program running on a computer system. Let's call it the 'outerverse'. Our Universe is contained within this system in such a way that there is no possibility of detecting the containing system by empirical means. A bit like the Truman Show but less schmaltzy and with a better soundtrack, plus you never get to find out you're part of an experiment.

Our only way to know the outerverse is there is to 'guess', or 'have a hunch', or to 'know' because a while ago some people wrote a book which, despite some disturbing internal inconsistencies and a moral simplicity more appropriate to an earlier age, purports to explain the whole thing.

The code which 'runs' our universe contains all the information required for literally everything that exists, including human logic, the natural world, the laws of physics and whatever you're having yourself.

In what way is such a scenario logically any less plausible than your god? It fulfills all of your requirements - it explains logic, morality and everything else, perhaps more satisfactorily than christianity, and it's more economical.

Go ahead, prove I'm wrong using an argument that couldn't be applied equally to god.

rockbeer wrote: »
    Go ahead, prove I'm wrong using an argument that couldn't be applied equally to god.

You still lack justification for the laws of logic. How does this scenario get you universal, abstract, invariant laws, and knowledge of same?

Cheers,

Sye

Read my posts, will you. Circular logic cannot work for any argument where you start off with no idea at all about the outcome. Without bias for an outcome, you cannot use that outcome to make the starting premise that the outcome relies on.

Why not?
    What way is that? (Funny, too, then that few are certain of this revelation, and that many are certain of their own revelations even if they contradict other peoples revelations.)

I don't pretend to understand how God works, but I do discuss different forms of revelation on my site. The fact that some people disagree about revelation though, does not mean that nobody is right.
    Why do question other peoples senses while claiming that yours are a gift from god?

I do not question their senses, I question how they justify assuming their validity.
    How do you know that their a gift from god?

The only way anyone can know anything, by His revelation.
    Do you think you are special?

Nope.
    And where do you get this from?

Logic and reason, require both 'truth' and 'knowledge,' neither of which can be accounted for apart from God.

Cheers,

Sye

Why the need to justify them?

I don't know why the world is why it is, but I don't see how a God explains it.

That's the problem with you atheists, you live on faith.

Then you go on about god revealing himself in such a way that you can be certain that it is true. Talk about pure unadulterated nonsense.

Logically nonsensical? How do you account for the laws of logic that you are holding my argument to,and why do they apply to my argument?
    You declare the empirical senses as unreliable,

Where have I done this, please support your accusation.
    and then make an astounding leap to declare a 'feeling' or 'hunch' to be uncorruptable and 100% reliable.

Again, support your accusation, where have I done this?
    It is utterly baffling that you so easily write off all human experience as fallable except for this extra sensory feeling that you are being talked to by god.

I don't know who you are arguing with, but it's not me, or my website, I don't make any of the claims you are arguing against.

Cheers,

Sye

• Advertisement
Advertisement