Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online mass...

Options
  • 23-04-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

i dont know if this topic has come up before, so apologies if it has, but im interested to know what people think about online churchs, as in; instead of going to mass on sunday afternoon you instead switch on your computer, pick your avatar, sit in a virtual 3D church and listen/read an online sermon..said by a real priest/preacher..live

can it substitute going to a real church? Would God mind!?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

suziques wrote: »
    You'll have to ask your deity if it's ok, but the good boys at:

http://churchoffools.com/

seem to think there's no problem. BTW, COF is an offshoot of http://www.shipoffools.com/ which is a fun read, even for the frightfully irreligious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

i dont know if this topic has come up before, so apologies if it has, but im interested to know what people think about online churchs, as in; instead of going to mass on sunday afternoon you instead switch on your computer, pick your avatar, sit in a virtual 3D church and listen/read an online sermon..said by a real priest/preacher..live

I could understand someone who is physically infirm and unable to attend church getting comfort from such a thing, but it's no substitute. It's like listening to a U2 song as a ringtone on your phone as opposed to attending a real gig.

There are people who just watch TV preachers instead of going to church. My own church posts the sermons each Sunday as podcasts on the website, and judging by the number of downloads or hits it seems popular.

But in the end church is not just about you and God. An essential part of Church is meeting other people. You don't just go to Church to get your own needs met. You go to encourage others, to learn how to interact, even how to become better people by handling disagreements in a godly way. Virtual Church can never, in my opinion, come close to providing a substitute for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, they've been broadcasting mass on sunday mornings on rte 1 since before I was born. It's just the same, but moved to a new media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

PDN wrote: »
    But in the end church is not just about you and God. An essential part of Church is meeting other people. You don't just go to Church to get your own needs met. You go to encourage others, to learn how to interact, even how to become better people by handling disagreements in a godly way. Virtual Church can never, in my opinion, come close to providing a substitute for that.

Agreed. In baptism we use the words "the Christian community welcomes you with great joy". As with the TV mass, it can have its place for those who are unable to attend, but for me, being there, being part of the community is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Suziques, welcome to the forum! :)

Viewing Mass on television or similar doesn't fulfill a Catholic's Sunday obligation. Obviously it's not possible to receive Holy Communion remotely.

The Lord doesn't make His Body and Blood present for us to watch it from afar!

God bless,
    Noel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement