Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak - how to cook and what to have with it {Mega Merge!}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Marbling I like; however that sinuous element really ruins my enjoyment of the steak.
    It almost impossible to even cut it with a knife. What I do now is surgically cut it out before I cook the steak. I then add it to the pan when cooking to acquire flavor from it and then bin it before plating up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,082 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Volovo wrote: »
    I will always buy the striploin unless I am treating myself to a fillet steak on the odd Sunday :) I never by ribeye or t bone

Why do you never buy rib eye or t-bone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mellor wrote: »
    Sometimes its done that way, slowly warmed in an oven at low temp. But I'd imagine that blue more often refers to a steak seared quickly outside with the inside raw and cold. ie very rare steak

Also, the time really depends on thickness rather than weight/size. Just in case anybody mistakes them for absolute cooking times

Problem with that is, it will still be cold in the middle.

The oven method is a better way to cook blue because it means the heat is constant throughout the meat.

Black and Blue would be where it's preped as blue and then seared very quickly on a very hot griddle/pan to caramelisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Seaneh wrote: »
    Problem with that is, it will still be cold in the middle.

The oven method is a better way to cook blue because it means the heat is constant throughout the meat.

Black and Blue would be where it's preped as blue and then seared very quickly on a very hot griddle/pan to caramelisation.

If you are cooking a 'blue' steak or ordering one in a restaurant, it should never be cold in the middle.

The steak should be removed from the fridge and allowed to come to room temperature before cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

trackguy wrote: »
    If you are cooking a 'blue' steak or ordering one in a restaurant, it should never be cold in the middle.

The steak should be removed from the fridge and allowed to come to room temperature before cooking.

Which would still only make it 34c-ish, maybe 40 in some kitchens.

The only way you can get it to a proper heat would be to heat it, in an oven or water bath, at low temp for about 15-20 minutes.

Flash frying it will only sear the outside, the inside will still be cold (or room temp).

That's intended. Blue steak isn't supposed to be warm in the middle. Room temp is correct. Some places might serve it warm based on demand, but thats up to the chef really. Blue steak is closer to cold dishes like steak tartare, carpaccio etc imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mellor wrote: »
    That's intended. Blue steak isn't supposed to be warm in the middle. Room temp is correct. Some places might serve it warm based on demand, but thats up to the chef really. Blue steak is closer to cold dishes like steak tartare, carpaccio etc imo
    now you're just making me hungry! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my dad bought me 3 small pieces of steak for during the week for college
    i think they are fillet steaks

he bought some yesterday morning and i had some with homemade sweet potato wedges

i want to do something different with them this time..
    ill use one for the usual steak veg and wedges
    but i dont really know what to do with the other two

anyone have any suggestions? :)

Merged with 'The Steak' thread.

tHB

• Advertisement

my dad bought me 3 small pieces of steak for during the week for college
    i think they are fillet steaks

he bought some yesterday morning and i had some with homemade sweet potato wedges

i want to do something different with them this time..
    ill use one for the usual steak veg and wedges
    but i dont really know what to do with the other two

anyone have any suggestions? :)
    Steak with baked mushrooms, fried onions and pepper sauce
    Steak with sweet and sour roast veggies and whiskey sauce (or what ever sauce you like)
    Surf and Turf with fries

Basically;
    steak + Veg of choice + Sauce of choice + side of choice = nyom nyom nyom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Popped into Centra for milk and saw a lovely Steak for a 5euro, Plan to kill it stone dead in an hour, But I have never cooked a steak properly. I like it medium to well done (most of you seem to like it raw). My Q is do I Flash fry it on both sides and then turn heat off or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If I'm cooking one I'd give it about 3 minutes per side on a hot pan, then rest for a couple of minutes. That'd be for a steak about 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick I'd say, adjust the cooking time if it's much thicker or thinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get the steak to room temperature

Salt, pepper and lightly oil steak (not the pan)

Very very hot pan and 3 minutes one side, dont move or touch it, turn afted 3 mins and leave for 3 mins. Steak done.

Best result would be to leave rest in 50 degree oven for 5 mins.

Sit down on your ass and enjoy !! And go chillin' !!

Merged with latest Steak thread.

Chillin117 - all the info you need on cookn g steak is in this thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Seems to me that Steak is a bit like Eggs in this regard: everyone has their own pet favourite way to do it, and Everyone Else Is Wrong. #GNASH!!

Mind you, I'm guilty of it myself: passionate about my opinions on both of these subjects.

One of which is, that steak is not improved by eggs.

Except in the form of Béarnaise Sauce, maybe, which is peerless as an accompaniment. But it has to be fresh made, with fresh tarragon, and it's not the easiest thing for a simple cook to rustle up at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

We have steaks usually about once-a-week and here's how do mine: my favourite are Aldi sirloins - the ones aged 28 days

Finely chop chilli, garlic and ginger. Smear into the steaks. Put in a bowl and add a dash of red wine & a dash of Soy sauce. Cover in cling film and put into the fridge for 3 or 4 hours.

30 Mins before cooking, take the steaks out of the fridge

Time to Cook:

Wipe away the marinade mixture from the steaks & pat dry with paper towel
    Rub a little oil into each steak
    Put the frying pan on the highest heat (no oil)
    When the smoke is visibly rising from the pan add the steaks and leave alone!
    After about 3-4 minutes, flip the steaks, turn the heat down and cover the pan with a lid
    Fry for another 3 minutes or so
    Remove the steaks to a chopping board and leave to rest for 10 minutes
    Whilst resting, add a glass of red wine to the frying pan and on a high heat, cook until well-reduced.
    Take the frying pan off the heat and add a good knob of butter. When fully melted in, add to a ramekin dish with a spoon for pour over the steak

That's it!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

reverse sear is the only way i'll ever be cooking steaks again, it just doesn't get any better, perfectly cooked inside, perfectly seared on the outside. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Flappy Head

Hi I am interested to hear other folks' prep for steak. What I do is put a little olive oil on a dinner plate and coat the steak very very lightly. Then put plenty of salt and pepper on and put into the hottest possible dry pan. I have heard about not salting before frying but is this an old wives tale??

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

For most steaks I make a real quick marinade of olive oil, balsamic, minced garlic and fresh ground black pepper. Bring the meat up to room temp and bang it on a hot pan.
    I don't add salt till after it's cooked but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Hi I am interested to hear other folks' prep for steak. What I do is put a little olive oil on a dinner plate and coat the steak very very lightly. Then put plenty of salt and pepper on and put into the hottest possible dry pan. I have heard about not salting before frying but is this an old wives tale??

I dont use any oil, should cook in it's own fat. If I use anything it would be a wee nib of butter, but that's for taste. Gives it a richer taste. I know plenty do recommend olive oil but it's not for me.

Key is a really heavy pan, cast iron and much much heavier base than a normal pan.

I took a class in a cookery school here (Gato Dumas, Buenos Aires) and the chef told us that salting the meat before cooking causes it to expel liquid. He used butter too, not oil, but again personal taste I think. The key is to look at the cut, (i hate the word steak as it does not describe the cut of meat at all! ...in Argentina it's clearer what you are getting from the name of the cut and there's no messing about with it), if there is a lot of fat in the meat (tasty!) you might not want to go nuts and lob more fat in the pan, if it's a leaner cut it might help to use some oil or butter.

Depends on the thickness, but you want the pan hot. I tend to fry on one side, turn, salt the cooked side, turn, salt the other side and finish v (half the time of the initial fry, more or less). No point talking in specifics around the times as it depends on the cut of meat. You'll want to judge based on tender the meat is to the push of a spoon or thumb.

Of course, the ultimate way to cook it is over a wood fired grill (asado) in the open air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

My method is very similar:

Large salad bowl, glug of olive oil, generous addition of freshly ground pepper and a generous sprinkle of sea salt. Coat steak in olive oil mix, and put it on a dry very hot pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

i usually salt the steak heavily about a day before eating and place it on a wire rack in the fridge overnight.
    Leave it out for a couple of hours before cooking.

Lightly oil the steak with a an oil with a high smoke point like vegetable. Something generally tasteless. Butter will definitely burn, usually just used in restaurants to finish a steak.

Cooking in a searing hot cast iron pan for about four mins max depending on thickness but in Ireland steak is usually not that thick unless you specify from your butcher.

Rest for about 3 mins and melt some butter over the top if you like.

Another option but it's pricey is to rest it fully submerged in a butter bath. Saw a restaurant do that before.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

1. Room temperature meat;

2. Brush with rapeseed oil (Crisp 'n' Dry is perfect, or Supermarket own brand which will be called vegetable oil and you have to look at the small-print to see whether it's sunflower or rapeseed);

3. Raging hot heavy-bottomed pan;

4. Salt the steak just before adding to pan. Do not put pepper on it if frying in a pan this hot - pepper burns;

5. Cook to taste - use the image below for a (very) rough guide to cookery;

(5a. Heston Blumenthal method is to flip steak every 15 seconds until done to maintain maximum juiciness - this tends to sacrifice the caramelisation on the outside unless you have a super-hot hob;)

6. Additional seasoning and rest well.

I don't eat the outer fat, or rind on the steak but for those who do, when steak is almost done to your taste, add a good glug of oil to the pan and prop the steaks up onto their rinds and render the fat for a few minutes.

18s0cac44eu1mpng.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Merged with steak megathread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

1. Room temperature meat;

2. Brush with rapeseed oil (Crisp 'n' Dry is perfect, or Supermarket own brand which will be called vegetable oil and you have to look at the small-print to see whether it's sunflower or rapeseed);

3. Raging hot heavy-bottomed pan;

4. Salt the steak just before adding to pan. Do not put pepper on it if frying in a pan this hot - pepper burns;

5. Cook to taste - use the image below for a (very) rough guide to cookery;

(5a. Heston Blumenthal method is to flip steak every 15 seconds until done to maintain maximum juiciness - this tends to sacrifice the caramelisation on the outside unless you have a super-hot hob;)

6. Additional seasoning and rest well.

I don't eat the outer fat, or rind on the steak but for those who do, when steak is almost done to your taste, add a good glug of oil to the pan and prop the steaks up onto their rinds and render the fat for a few minutes.

18s0cac44eu1mpng.png

What is that image meant to signify?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Probably universal language on how to order steak in a restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's a guide for knowing how your steak is cooked by feeling it and comparing it to how your hand feels in those positions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Back on topic...

There is an interesting article here on salting:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html

What it basically says is that salting will draw out moisture, which will dissolve the salt, then get reabsorbed by the meat, pulling the salt inside the steak. This flavourises and tenderises the meat. I've been doing it since I read the article and I swear by it.

So here's my pan method:
    1. Ribeye or striploin - 1.25 to 1.5 inch thick. I buy whole ribeyes and cut to size. Much as I love Aldi Specially Selected steaks, they aren't thick enough
    2. Remove from fridge an hour before hand
    3. Salt both sides of steak (on a rack of possible). Use rock salt. No pepper on steak
    4. Red hot cast iron pan. I like to use a griddle pan for char marks
    5. Oil the steak with Peanut (Groundnut) oil. This is important - Olive has way too low a smoke point.
    6. Steak in pan. 1 minute each side, then flip again and rotate 60deg to get cross hatching marks from griddle. Another minute each side (2 mins a side total). Maybe an extra 30 sec a side for a thicker steak
    7. On second pass lob a knob of butter and baste top of steak.
    8. Rest on a warm plate
    9. While resting, deglaze pan with a shot of whiskey
    10. Allow whiskey to reduce by half and add a shot (~50ml) of cream
    11. Add pepper to sauce. Lots of. Taste and add a little salt if necessary.
    12. Any juices that have left the steak while resting go back into the pan.
    13. When cream has reduced it will be lovely and thick. Pour over steak.

Except, I bought a Sous Vide machine in Lidl before Christmas. It changes everything. Now I cut my steaks, Salt and vacuum pack, then into the freezer. When I want a steak that evening I set the machine to 52 degrees (which actually equates to 56 deg based on thermocouple probe thermometer). Take steak from freezer and place in Sous Vide. When I'm ready to eat I take the perfectly medium rare steak out and sear in a red hot pan for 1 minute each side. Then make sauce as above. The result is perfect edge to edge medium rare every time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

syklops wrote: »
    What is that image meant to signify?

When you open your left hand and relax it, the pulpy part at the bottom of your left thumb feels like raw meat. When you touch your left thumb to your left index finger, the bottom of your left thumb feels like rare meat and so on until you touch your left thumb to your left little finger, which feels like well done meat.

:)

Advertisement