Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Coolronan, Ballivor, but still working in Leopardstown in south Dublin

Options
  • 14-01-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

My husband and I decided to buy our first home in Co. Meath in Coolronan, Ballivor and made already an offer on a beautiful refurbished Cottage built on a 2 Acres, anyway we love it. According to weekend traffic, the distance from this house to where I work (Dublin 18) is 1h.
    From where we live now in Drumcondra, Dublin to Dublin 18 is also one hour, so either way I need an 1 hour commute per day at least. My question is for the people who live there or country side, because of the little country roads and secondary roads, should I expect loads of delays due to slow drivers the likes of tractors etc...and if yes, when is the best time to leave the house. My other worry is childcare over there, my baby is 4 months old and if it happens that we get the house, realistically we would move there sometimes in September/ October, so she will be just over a 1 year old. I know that there is one Creche in Ballivor, but is it wise to be so far from the child during the day?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons before we go ahead.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i work with folk in the same predictament,and overall its positive, but winter plays havoc on commutes, and a much longer day, and yes summertime traffic, like tractors etc, wont help..u alone can only weigh it all up.
    At worki know some have regretted the move and others still are positive,its down to the indivual and their needs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shneewla

Thanks a million chrysagon, we are going on friday to do the trip from leopardstown to the place we are intending to buy and see how long it's going to take adding and for the first time in my life I am hoping that the weather will still be bad to see how it really is in the winter.

I will update the thread here, so other people with the same problem or doubts can benefit from our little test-drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I hear the same phrase over and over at work.."quality of life", but peoples views of that quality differ, some dont want long commutes everyday, others are willing to sacrifice it for more space and country style living, as i said, up to the indivual.
    Good luck to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    We bought a house in Rathmolyon about 3 years and I work in Tallaght. We are quite happy location wise. My commute of 50 KM takes about 50 mins with traffic via summhill/kilcock/N4/M50. Mondays and fridays generally are quieter with Tuesdays being the busiest. If there is frost or a crash it can extend that time considerably. It has taken me 80 mins to get to work on occasion. I dont want to put you off but Ballivor to Dublin 18 is a good drive.
    Before we bought the house I got up extra early on 2 mornings went to the site and drove the route in the morning with traffic as a test. I gave myself an hour at the time and we lived half hour friom the site at the time. Evening traffic can be different to morning traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1stimemom

Hi Shneewla,

Just wondering did you get sorted?
    I'm living in Ballivor and commute to St Stephens Green Mon - Fri. I go via Rathmolyon/Kilcock/Lucan. I get to Palmerstown in 45mins but it's from there on in is my problem. It can take anything from another 45min - 1.5hrs to get in to centre from there so once you're on th M50 you should be ok. May take a little longer than an hour most days.

My DS isn't in the Creche but I have heard great things about them.

If you would like any advice feel free to give me a shout

• Advertisement
Advertisement