Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really have let yourself down with this tripe. You'd be the same man banging on about how the club is being ruined by management, spending big money on wages for washed up players with no return. See Joe Cole for further proof

Tripe?

Joe Cole = Robben / Tevez / Alonso

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Some numbers from the last 2 seasons:

Total shots
    12-13 - 528
    11-12 - 515

Possession percentage
    12-13 - 57
    11-12 - 55

Goals
    12-13 - 71
    11-12 - 47

Headed goals
    12-13 - 9
    11-12 - 8

Penalty goals
    12-13 - 5 (of 6)
    11-12 - 1 (of 6)

Total passes
    12-13 - 19802
    11-12 - 18794

Total successful passes
    12-13 - 16667
    11-12 - 15213

Crossing accuracy
    12-13 - 19.02 per cent
    11-12 - 21.58 per cent

Hit woodwork
    12-13 - 16
    11-12 - 24

Clean sheets
    12-13 - 16
    11-12 - 12

Goals conceded
    12-13 - 43
    11-12 - 40

Shots on target
    12-13 - 232
    11-12 - 207

Passing accuracy
    12-13 - 84.17 per cent
    11-12 - 80.95 per cent

Passing accuracy in opposition half
    12-13 - 73.45 per cent
    11-12 - 69.39 per cent

Goals from outside the box
    12-13 - 12
    11-12 - 7

Goals inside the box
    12-13 - 59
    11-12 - 40

Goal conversion
    12-13 - 13.45 per cent
    11-12 - 9.13 per cent

Set piece goals
    12-13 - 3
    11-12 - 2

Offsides
    12-13 - 110
    11-12 - 128

Yellow cards
    12-13 - 54
    11-12 - 53

Straight red cards
    12-13 - 2
    11-12 - 3

Aerial duels won
    12-13 - 482 (of 928)
    11-12 - 490 (of 835)

Ground duels won
    12-13 - 1513 (of 3105)
    11-12 - 1398 (of 2716)

Fouls conceded
    12-13 - 402
    11-12 - 402

Successful corners into the box
    12-13 - 73
    11-12 - 78

Unsuccessful corners into the box
    12-13 - 161
    11-12 - 186

Tackle success
    12-13 - 78.49 per cent
    11-12 - 73.76 per cent

Left foot goals
    12-13 - 19
    11-12 - 13

Right foot goals
    12-13 - 39
    11-12 - 21

Successful crosses from open play
    12-13 - 82
    11-12 - 162

Unsuccessful crosses from open play
    12-13 - 485
    11-12 - 679

Shooting accuracy
    12-13 - 43.94 per cent
    11-12 - 40.19 per cent

Attempts from set pieces
    12-13 - 33
    11-12 - 33

Penalties conceded
    12-13 - 5
    11-12 - 5

Successful dribbles
    12-13 - 378
    11-12 - 286

League finish
    12-13 - 7th
    11-12 - 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tripe?

Joe Cole = Robben / Tevez / Alonso

:confused:

I didn't mean talent wise obviously. (and well you know it) What I ment was signing older players prone to injury on big contracts would not be beneficial in the long run for the club. (Sneidjer, Kaka etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Super-Rush wrote: »
    If Shelvey is sold for 7 million then Rodgers is a genius.

I really disagree. He seems to have become the focus of a lot of anger and vitriol for some reason. The guy is 21 years of age, a full England international, has scored 15 goals as senior club level in 100 matches - 33 for us last season with 5 goals, even playing as an emergency striker in a few games. When he was not getting in the team, he asked (according to Rodgers) if he could turn out for the reserves/U21s to keep his match fitness up.

I know he's tactically niave and can give away silly fouls, but he was cheap, he's English, he's young, he has a boot on him, and he can only improve.

I would compare him to Henderson the year before - not always playing in position, trying too hard to impress sometimes, but showing some real potential. I would strongly expect that if we let him go, we'd regret it. He has plenty of years to prove us wrong...

I didn't mean talent wise obviously. (and well you know it) What I ment was signing older players prone to injury on big contracts would not be beneficial in the long run for the club. (Sneidjer, Kaka etc)

And my opinion is that we need to balance our current transfer methodology with some proven quality if they're available. How exactly is that tripe? How exactly am I 'letting myself down'?

There are some people on this thread who are fully boarded up inside the bunker and any opinion that challenges the pervading hive wisdom is 'trolling'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Defence in tatters? 3 more goals conceded but more clean sheets, my word. I'll take that when the improvement in goals is there.

Yeah, count me in as one who doesn't fully get the Shelvey hate. Kid is talented for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

gafferino wrote: »
    Some numbers from the last 2 seasons:

Progress across the board, hopefully we can build on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think you're forgetting that each case is individual and needs to be judged separately.

For every Coutinho there's also a Assaidi.

Just because they're young doesn't mean it always work out.

Just because Cole was mistake it doesn't mean that other older players would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

And my opinion is that we need to balance our current transfer methodology with some proven quality if they're available. How exactly is that tripe? How exactly am I 'letting myself down'?

There are some people on this thread who are fully boarded up inside the bunker and any opinion that challenges the pervading hive wisdom is 'trolling'.
    The wha???

Pot. Kettle. Black.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭deeks

Liverpool FC are set to submit a planning application for the proposed £150million redevelopment of Anfield before the start of next season.
    The ECHO understands just ‘a handful’ of around 90 houses which need to be demolished to make way for the ambitious expansion plans have yet to be purchased.
    Since the Reds announced last October their intention to stay at Anfield rather than build a new stadium in Stanley Park, Liverpool City Council and social housing developer Your Housing Group have led negotiations with residents.
    Significant progress has now been made and Liverpool hope the remaining properties will be acquired over the next two months.
    Once that has been achieved they will enter the planning process as they seek permission to push on with the refurbishment which will see the Main Stand and Anfield Road end expanded to increase the ground's capacity to around 60,000.
    Reds managing director Ian Ayre said: “We are in an interesting period in terms of our aspirations around the stadium.

3022186-3415217.jpg Liverpool FC Chief Executive Ian Ayre “Our goal is to extend Anfield. But we need certainty and that comes with the acquisition of properties.
    “Real progress has been made in acquiring them. Once they have all been acquired we will go through the planning process. We would expect to be in a position to make that a certainty this summer. Once planning has been achieved then we can start construction.”
    Ayre believes a redeveloped Anfield is vital to Liverpool’s hopes of competing financially with the Premier League’s elite.
    “There are three core revenue streams – media, commercial and matchday,” he added.
    “Our media and commercial revenues are very impressive but where we fall behind is our matchday revenues. Having a bigger stadium and playing in the Champions League are two mechanisms which would dramatically change our fortunes. We’re determined to press on with the stadium solution. It’s in the hands of other people but hopefully we will get there and deliver what our fans want.”
    Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group have been vocal advocates of Financial Fair Play (FFP) which seeks to ensure clubs live within their means.

owners-4186736.jpg Fenway Sports group owner John W. Henry (right) with wife Linda Pizzuti and LFC chairman Tom Werner UEFA’s rules, which come into full effect in 2013/14, state that clubs must break even over a three-year period or face exclusion from European competitions.
    The Premier League have also brought in their own set of regulations from next season.
    Ayre believes if the rules are enforced correctly then Liverpool are well placed to flourish over the coming years. We are very supportive of FFP for a number of reasons,” he said. “One is we believe you should only spend what you earn. We want there to be as level a playing field as possible.
    “We are in a very fortunate position in that we generate some of the biggest revenues in football despite having not been as successful on the pitch as we would have liked in recent years.
    “We also have a huge fan base around the world. We’ve sold 100,000 tickets at the MCG in Australia this summer and there has been a similar demand for tickets for the other pre-season tour matches in Jakarta and Bangkok. That bodes well in an FFP environment. The real challenge for UEFA is to ensure the rules are applied correctly. It’s only going to work effectively if there are sanctions for those who don’t abide by them.”

From liverpoolecho.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Dickerty wrote: »
    I really disagree. He seems to have become the focus of a lot of anger and vitriol for some reason. The guy is 21 years of age, a full England international, has scored 15 goals as senior club level in 100 matches - 33 for us last season with 5 goals, even playing as an emergency striker in a few games. When he was not getting in the team, he asked (according to Rodgers) if he could turn out for the reserves/U21s to keep his match fitness up.

I know he's tactically niave and can give away silly fouls, but he was cheap, he's English, he's young, he has a boot on him, and he can only improve.

I would compare him to Henderson the year before - not always playing in position, trying too hard to impress sometimes, but showing some real potential. I would strongly expect that if we let him go, we'd regret it. He has plenty of years to prove us wrong...

I agree i actually think shelvey has great potential

The problem is that this club has high standards and Shelvey hasn't really pushed on enough.

Gerrard showed a lot of promise (and frustrated too) but by 18 he had made his debut. At 19 he was a regular first team member. By 20 he was a full England international and part of the European Championship squad. It's obviously silly to write Shelvey off as he is talented and I have no doubt he's a Premier League player. Unfortunately, I just don't see him as a player who can push us on to reach the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭deeks

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I agree i actually think shelvey has great potential

When does "having great potential" stop being an excuse though. I personally can't remember the last time Shelvey had a game that would suggest he is / will be of the required standard to play in Liverpool's midfield. A 21 year old is hardly a raw infant in premiership terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

The problem is that this club has high standards and Shelvey hasn't really pushed on enough.

Gerrard showed a lot of promise (and frustrated too) but by 18 he had made his debut. At 19 he was a regular first team member. By 20 he was a full England international and part of the European Championship squad. It's obviously silly to write Shelvey off as he is talented and I have no doubt he's a Premier League player. Unfortunately, I just don't see him as a player who can push us on to reach the top 4.

Gerrard also went on to be one of the best players in the world. Comparing young players to Gerrards (albeit staggered) progress will always see them come up short.

I agree.....I just dont think Shelvey will make it at a top club. I think he has talent for sure and knows where the goal is but anytime I see him in the starting line-up or come on as a sub I have absolutely no idea which Shelvey is going to show up.

Now maybe he can improve on this and gain some consistency and control his head better. On the other hand if it were to continue in the same way next season then how long can you actually give someone before you cut your losses? As pointed out by someone he has made 100 senior appearances at this stage so we really should be seeing some form of consistency which IMO we are not. My heart says yeah give him another season but my head says no. I wont be looking at our bench next season and feel we have a good option if he comes on. I hope he proves me wrong.

Maybe this has been mentioned already but Gulacsi has joined Salzburg

http://redbulls.com/soccer/salzburg/de/red-bull-salzburg-news-detail_9105.html

Some of our Germanic posters can translate!

More goalkeepers needed!!

I think Reina and Mignolet would be great....proper GK competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think Reina and Mingolet would be great....proper GK competition.

Saw on twitter that he was joining Red Bull.

I thought he was becoming a Formula 1 driver!

That was expected, his contract expired in the Summer. You are correct though, we need more competition in the goalkeeping area. The thought of having to rely on Brad Jones gives me the heebie jeebies.

That was expected, his contract expired in the Summer. You are correct though, we need more competition in the goalkeeping area. The thought of having to rely on Brad Jones gives me the heebie jeebies.

Yeah definitely. Seemed to work at Spurs having Friedel and Lloris fight it out. Can only be a good thing to have proper competition for your place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Unless there was a really silly offer for him, and by silly I mean more than the rumoured 7 mil, my own preference for Shelvey would be a season long loan somewhere that he would get plenty of game time. That way he gets another year to develop further so we in turn get a better idea as to how he may turn out.

Kess, talk to us about how good Alan Hansen was please. A few lines will do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kess it might also help me if you could give me ~ 200 words on each of: Souness, Barnes & Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Dub13 wrote: »
    Nicky Allt (first chairman of the spirit of shankly) was in Dublin a few days ago, I had a few pints with him and he was not happy at all about that report last week. I think groups like SOS and Blue Moon are the way forward, we need to at least try to take our game back.

Why, cos he wasnt named?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If we are to sign a proper competitor to push Reina, we need to sell Jones, and promote one of the youth keepers to 3rd choice. Both Gulacsi and Jones as back up was too much. Jones is good enough as 2nd choice (and adds to our homegrown contingent in the matchday squad), I would be tempted to let Gulacsi go and stick with the rest. Invest elsewhere.

Kess, talk to us about how good Alan Hansen was please. A few lines will do it!
    Kess it might also help me if you could give me ~ 200 words on each of: Souness, Barnes & Rush

Errrr what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Errrr what?

It's from the legends draft thread. A guy was arguing that Hansen had no business being picked, Lloyd and I were arguing otherwise.

I've also got Souness, Rush and Barnes in my team and was just trying to nab some soundbites to help argue my cause.

If we are to sign a proper competitor to push Reina, we need to sell Jones, and promote one of the youth keepers to 3rd choice. Both Gulacsi and Jones as back up was too much. Jones is good enough as 2nd choice (and adds to our homegrown contingent in the matchday squad), I would be tempted to let Gulacsi go and stick with the rest. Invest elsewhere.
    The problem is that Reina is 30 (going on 31) and Jones is 31. The next choice 'keeper is Danny Ward who is only 18 and has struggled at under 21 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If I get drawn against you in the first round of the draft whatawaster, I'm charging you with plagiarism :P

• Advertisement

It's from the legends draft thread. A guy was arguing that Hansen had no business being picked, Lloyd and I were arguing otherwise.

I've also got Souness, Rush and Barnes in my team and was just trying to nab some soundbites to help argue my cause.

Hansen is easy to waffle on about.

One of the most cultured centre backs I have ever had the pleasure to watch play. He had an elegant style of play that brought Beckenbauer to mind. Calm, confident, an excellent organiser, and a leader. A very good passer of the ball, comfortable with either foot, fantastic reader of the game, and a terrific tackler who often had the ball nicked away from an attacker before the attacker had time to break stride. Had a streak of steel running through him as well which allowed him to go toe to toe with the more physical players of his era.

Contrary to popular belief, and some of Hansen's own jokes, he was very good in the air as well.

Agger would be a very similar style player to Hansen in many way, but Agger at his best would still fall a few tiers below Hansen imho.

Hansen was not as good as the aforementioned Beckenbauer, nor was he as sweeper in the traditional sense, but he was probably as close as to that class of player that the British game has produced, and he is certainly one of the finest examples of a top class ball playing centre back from my life time.

Would put him in the same tier as guys like Fernando Hierro in terms of quality.

Souness and Barnes I have defo waffled on about on here in the past 12 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement