Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular Boilers & System Boilers

Options
  • 28-01-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

What are the main benefits of one over the other.

Does an open vented system boiler not require a F&E tank in the attic, pic suggests not.

Are these condensing and modulating.

systenboilerlayout_zps4399287c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

That's a system boiler ie. complete with pump , safety valve , and expansion vessel , f+e tank not used

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Open vented systems do require f+e tanks.System boilers are an all in one kit ie.the circulating pump etc are all pre installed so its quick to install it also has an expansion vessel which would do away with the F+E because it is a sealed system.As for comparing it with a 'conventional boiler' its much of a muchness so long as the proper heating controls are in place. One thing about system boilers is they can be a pain in the balls to service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

dpofloinn wrote: »
    One thing about system boilers is they can be a pain in the balls to service

I'm replacing an oil boiler changing over to Gas (standard open vented system) want nothing fancy, do I need a regular boiler, and will this use the existing external pump etc or have it's own built in pump.

Your RGI will most likely eliminate the F+E and make your system a sealed system its a fairly handy procedure for any RGI they will also alter the old pipe work to suit the new boilers requirements ie. remove old circulating pump etc .so your new boiler will be a self contained unit with pump, expansion vessel

ps: in my previous post about servicing being a pain in the balls I was refering to oil fired system boilers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

danjo-xx wrote: »

I'm replacing an oil boiler changing over to Gas (standard open vented system) want nothing fancy, do I need a regular boiler, and will this use the existing external pump etc or have it's own built in pump.
    What you also need is a powerflush. Don't fit a new gas boiler to an existing system unless its properly cleaned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp79 wrote: »
    What you also need is a powerflush. Don't fit a new gas boiler to an existing system unless its properly cleaned

Especially going from open vented to sealed!

dpofloinn wrote: »

ps: in my previous post about servicing being a pain in the balls I was refering to oil fired system boilers

that confused me all right.
    Dtp79 wrote: »

Aware of this will also get a Filter fitted as well

The Layout in the pic would be what I want, using my existing hot water cylinder.

The expansion pipe from the cylinder to the attic led me to think it was a 'vented' system, so its just the tank is 'vented' but the rest of the system is sealed, is that right.

The central heating side will be sealed and the hot water cylinder will remain vented

How would the back boiler in the kitchen effect things, I never use it, but it must heat water in the cylinder.

After the system is sealed is qualpex ok for the cyl vent pipe or should I get this changed to copper.

Advertisement