Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental and Earth System Sciences at UCC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KatyMul

Hey, im really interested too... Have it as my first choice, but would love to know exactly whats involved... Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Serbitar

I'm doing it at the moment, and I have to say I've really enjoyed it. It starts off really slow and easy so you're very tempted to skip the lectures but don't! I did and when I finally went back after nearly 2 months of not going to any of my maths lectures I realised how stupid I'd been :P

There are 9 modules: Chemistry, Biology (BL1002), The Environment, Maths, Physics, Zoology (BL1004), Geography, Earth Science, Geological History of Ireland and my personal favourite, Geology.

If you've done Chemistry in the LC, you'll be fine with the early parts of it, but after a few months they start ramping up the difficulty.

Biology, be prepared for this because even doing it for the LC didn't prepare me for the amount of info they started throwing at us from the get-go.

The Environment is pretty basic environmental stuff, similar to some parts of LC Geography (Biomes and such).

We only do Physics for half a year so that's not your greatest worry, although it's one of the few subjects not to put their notes on blackboard, so make sure to go to those lectures!

Geography is a real pain in the arse! The lecturers are, shall we say, awkward and the subject itself is thought in an unbelievably painful way. Just from experience, when the field trip rolls around and if you hear that the weather is going to be stormy/wet on your groups day...go with the other group. I was up a mountain during a storm and we were still expected to take notes even though people were literally being blown off their feet...Single worst day of my life.

Earth Science is quite interesting, some of the early lectures are a bit tedious but get past them and it's one of the best modules you'll do.

Geology is by far my favourite module. The lecturers are great, the material is really interesting and the exam is nice and friendly.

Geological History of Ireland is basically a field trip to Antrim where you do absurd amounts of walking and rock examining from 9-5 and then get absolutely mashed down the pub with the lecturers at night. It is the greatest craic you will have, guaranteed.

Apologies for the deluge of information! It's all fresh in my mind so I figured I'd get it down in case any of it is of use to you next year.

tl;dr: Great course, starts slow but picks up very quickly. Most lecturers are great and most of the material is quite interesting. If you miss anything, most lecturers use Blackboard, with the exception of Physics, Maths and the Plant Science portion of BL1004, so don't make the mistake I did and skip them! I hope that was of some help to you and hopefully you get the course next year if you're still interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlaih

omg thank you sooo much!!! that it so helpful!! :D the oul trips to the pub with the lecturers sounds like mad craic!!!! haha cant wait for it!! ;D *fingers crossed* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Serbitar

orlaih wrote: »
    omg thank you sooo much!!! that it so helpful!! :D the oul trips to the pub with the lecturers sounds like mad craic!!!! haha cant wait for it!! ;D *fingers crossed* :D

It's 5 days of hard work, and 5 nights of heavy drinking. Craic doesn't even begin to describe it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

I was going to reply, but Serbitar is pretty much spot on. Geography was a balls alright lecture notes were ****e and lectures were worse. I didnt do chemistry or physics at LC and while it was difficult it wasn't imposiible and I ended up with quite good marks with a little bit of work.

Antrim field trip was epic!

At the end of first year you chose you degree program from geology, earth science, environmental science, plant science, ecology, zoology, or international geology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ThePatMurphy

Glad to see other people doing this course :D
    I shall be seeing ye next Tuesday then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

After studying geology you'll never look at rocks in the same way ever again. I think I even spotted a crinoid on the wall of the kane building near one of the front doors....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ThePatMurphy

Haha, sounds interesting? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PizzaMan93

Hey, does anybody have any information on Environmental Plant Biotechnology in UCC? i'd be really interested if anybody could shed some light on the module :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Hi PizzaMan,
    Entry is through CK404 in first year and full details on the modules, etc. are on the website of the School of BEES (who teach the course):
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/bees/study/undergrad/EPB/
    I did it a few years ago. First year is standard, no choices to make. Second year has a bit more plants but also some zoology, ecology, environmental science, etc. In Third and Fourth year there are predominantly plant modules including plant pathology, plant biotech, breeding, plant ecology, etc.
    When I did it, I found it a really nice course with very friendly and approachable lecturers.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 PizzaMan93

Hey MrTea,
    Thanks for that link. How are you finding the prospects upon graduating from the course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

Hi PizzaMan,
    Entry is through CK404 in first year and full details on the modules, etc. are on the website of the School of BEES (who teach the course):
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/bees/study/undergrad/EPB/
    I did it a few years ago. First year is standard, no choices to make. Second year has a bit more plants but also some zoology, ecology, environmental science, etc. In Third and Fourth year there are predominantly plant modules including plant pathology, plant biotech, breeding, plant ecology, etc.
    When I did it, I found it a really nice course with very friendly and approachable lecturers.
    Best of luck with it.
    Does a 4 year geology degree from UCC really get you this amount of money. Starting out at over 50K a year without a masters???

I don't have an interest in geology. But anything else like zoology, or physiology probably won't be getting me that kind of money. And the money is just about more important than the job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkI3uTxvO4g

PizzaMan93 wrote: »
    Hey MrTea,
    Thanks for that link. How are you finding the prospects upon graduating from the course?

Pretty good. I haven't been unemployed yet (by the skin of my teeth) :)
    Times are hard but their are jobs out there. Shouldn't be the primary decision making factor IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Messy_hair

Any one know is it difficult to get in to the environmental plant biotech degree outlet after first year? Are there few places or are all who are interested catered for?

Once you've successfully completed the year, there is no problem getting into this degree outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Messy_hair

Ah fantastic, thank you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cameron13m

Pretty good. I haven't been unemployed yet (by the skin of my teeth) :)
    Times are hard but their are jobs out there. Shouldn't be the primary decision making factor IMHO.

Hi I'm really interested in this course and the thing in wondering mostly is career prospects ? What kind of jobs are available ? What have you and your friends worked as since graduating and did you need to do a masters ? I'm mostly interested in geology I think ? And what would be an average income , Ino it shouldn't be the main incentive but at the same time you still need to know what sort of income u can expect . Thanks

Advertisement