Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ucc library opening times

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

10341842_10154871369025471_683757570450925005_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f7ba754aaedbc1e3f0beb0578631fa25&oe=55098352&__gda__=1427230829_bd4a38a6fa9b4574b40795c92349c875

There is a lot of talk about this recently , especially online . Personally I don't use the library at night often and when I do use the library I can study during the day usually. However for a lot of people the opening hours seem to be inadequate . I didn't realise so many people required such late study times.

I do feel like the library opening times are too short . I wonder what ucc will do about this ? Extend opening hours , make it 24 hour like trinity or make a room which you can swipe into with your student card and study . Personally I a think a 24 hour library would be great , if used . This huge demand for extended hours seems to only be coming to light the week before exams . It's my first year so I'm not sure if this is the norm.

Your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Finance Grad 2015

The SU have rooms open til 1.45am for people to study. I don't see why anybody would need a 24 hour library? Surely people need to sleep too! I also find it a bit cheeky that people are complaining so much, when they only set foot in the library for exam weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I was in the library on Sunday morning (not studying as I don't have exams just doing research) and there was nobody there. I find it quite ignorant to stage a sit in when library workers want to go home too. For me personally, I've never found the library a good place to study, far too many people moving, whispering etc. which is of course expected but definitely a distraction. Oh and yes, these students should be sleeping not being encouraged to stay in the library late at night.

Luno wrote: »
    I was in the library on Sunday morning (not studying as I don't have exams just doing research) and there was nobody there. I find it quite ignorant to stage a sit in when library workers want to go home too. For me personally, I've never found the library a good place to study, far too many people moving, whispering etc. which is of course expected but definitely a distraction. Oh and yes, these students should be sleeping not being encouraged to stay in the library late at night.

I complete agree, I was in the library Sunday morning too studying, and the place only started getting somewhat busy after twelve..! And most people were gone by 3 - at least where I was located anyway. I am a regular user of the library, too many distractions at home, but why should we force library workers to work through the night to accommodate a few people who might prefer to study at night? Is college not about setting people up with life skills for the real world? Why are the SU teaching students that it's okay to expect others to bow to your demands? Surely at this time, they should be promoting health and welfare - Which I personally haven't seen yet, although I am open to correction on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The su could open the Devere hall as a study space, might not be the most comfortable but seeing as the aras building is meant to be run for the benefit of students they could easily do it. Students money did pay for it. UCC does not have the money to run the library 24/7 plus what staff would want to work during the night. People seem to be putting more effort into giving out about this then actually studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Perhaps just increased opening hours the week or two before exams ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You'd think that they'd at least match whatever the hours are before summer exams for winter exams.

I imagine there are records of how many students use the space out of "normal" hours, and if they're low it's hard to justify the cost of extra opening times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it seems to have worked! longer opening hours until the exams are over.
    fair play to the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

The SU have rooms open til 1.45am for people to study. I don't see why anybody would need a 24 hour library? Surely people need to sleep too! I also find it a bit cheeky that people are complaining so much, when they only set foot in the library for exam weeks.

Some people work late and cannot study during the day, it has to be done at night, no other option. Also I don't see how its cheeky that students wanting to do well on exams are asking for a later opening time for the library, especially when you compare the opening times with the other big universities in Ireland. The fact that some people who are complaining "only set foot in the library for exam weeks" is completely irrelevant, they need to study to do well in their course and have payed fees like everyone else so are just as entitled to complain as someone who is there 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm delighted you got the hours extended

Murphy7777 wrote: »
    Some people work late and cannot study during the day, it has to be done at night, no other option. Also I don't see how its cheeky that students wanting to do well on exams are asking for a later opening time for the library, especially when you compare the opening times with the other big universities in Ireland. The fact that some people who are complaining "only set foot in the library for exam weeks" is completely irrelevant, they need to study to do well in their course and have payed fees like everyone else so are just as entitled to complain as someone who is there 24/7

Fair point! I hadn't really considered those people, so apologies. I still stand by my opinion of it being cheeky of some people - but it's just an opinion
    I do think the library opening hours weren't good enough, there's no denying that as far as I am concerned. And fair play to the SU for getting behind this

Does anybody know what the SU do to promote health and welfare do during exam weeks? This is my first year in UCC and I don't see much happening but I could be wrong. I did see a guy giving massages in the student centre but other than that, I haven't seen anything. Can anyone shed light on this? :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement