Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird ext oil boiler tripping main rcb

Options
  • 26-01-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Only happened yesterday, when i got home from work and turned on the heating i noticed all sockets not working. Eventually found the culprit to be the oil heating in the fuse board. Was raining too hard to go and investigate until this morning.

I can't see any signs of water intrusion inside the boiler housing and all wiring seems to be fine .

Any tips on what to check out before I call an electrician out on a weekend?? :(

oh meant to say when the breaker is turned on the burner fan starts up then it'll trip out main after 3-4 secs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If all dry around the burner then you should check the circulating pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

If all dry around the burner then you should check the circulating pump.

there is one inside the with the burner so i guess you mean this one?? How do i check it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Is it dry ?? if you can isolate the power to it and the trip switch stay on then you have your problem.

it is dry.... I'll isolate it off and see if that stops the tripping.... will post back ..thx Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The only thing to cause this is a dead short. The first thing I would do is isolate your time clock from the system. Make sure your programmer is not calling for heat then switch the breaker on. If it doesn't trip then if you can depending on your set up, unplug your pump and burner if they are plugged into a socket in the boiler house.

Switch on your programmer, if it doesn't trip then systematically reintroduce the pump first then the burner, if it trips first time then the clock is shot if not then it will with either the pump or the burner. The motor on the burner can do this or the pump.

• Advertisement

JohnnieK wrote: »
    The only thing to cause this is a dead short. The first thing I would do is isolate your time clock from the system. Make sure your programmer is not calling for heat then switch the breaker on. If it doesn't trip then if you can depending on your set up, unplug your pump and burner if they are plugged into a socket in the boiler house.

Switch on your programmer, if it doesn't trip then systematically reintroduce the pump first then the burner, if it trips first time then the clock is shot if not then it will with either the pump or the burner. The motor on the burner can do this or the pump.

It is raining out there at the moment and boiler is outside, ain't going to mess with electrics in the rain. Will post back when I can.

Johnniek I think your suggestion is above my know how level, if pump option isnt the issue I'll call a sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. Boiler breaker was tripping sporadically. After checking everything, it turned out to be the timer. Not the first place you'd be looking.

not the pump anyway.... am biting the bullet and calling the professionals. Thanks for the few tips guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could be damaged/melted neutral within the boiler stat. Came across this a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

JohnnieK wrote: »

This looks like an RCB trip rather than an MCB in other words an earth leakage trip rather than short by the fact all sockets were off. A short circuit will not trip the RCB. I would be looking at the HT primary and the atomiser motor for a insulation breakdown as the most likely source failing that have a quick look for frayed conductors where there may be an earth leakage. You should be able to isolate them in turn as well as the circulation pump to find where the fault is. Be careful testing the HT and the same with testing live installation.

• Advertisement

mrjoneill wrote: »

This looks like an RCB trip rather than an MCB in other words an earth leakage trip rather than short by the fact all sockets were off. A short circuit will not trip the RCB. I would be looking at the HT primary and the atomiser motor for a insulation breakdown as the most likely source failing that have a quick look for frayed conductors where there may be an earth leakage. You should be able to isolate them in turn as well as the circulation pump to find where the fault is. Be careful testing the HT and the same with testing live installation.

Well folks meant to update yesterday but the problem was............

The wiring from the fuse board to the boiler had to be replaced! It's a weird one and electrician hadn't seen it before. So had to pull through new wiring and then it was back up and running. Nice and warm again !

Advertisement