Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is best option for open fireplace?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into purchasing my first property.

One thing I've been looking into is what to do with the open fireplace in many of the houses I've viewed so far (mainly looking at semi-detached in a city).

In my current place and in a few places where I've been before, there has been a noticeable draft coming down the chimney which as been keeping the room cooler than it should be(either that or the heat in the room has been drawn up the chimney and out!).

I had the tought of putting in a dual fuel stove in order to heat the room and also importantly to seal the chimney. However, I've heard from many people with these stoves that they have been disappointed with their output.

I could get natural gas in to provide central heating, cooking, hot water and also get a gas fire installed. Although, that is putting all my eggs in one basket. My parents have a gas fire recently installed and TBH it is rubbish. Does not heat the room to a comfortable level. However, I think this may be due to the fireplace being to small for the room.

Anyhow, what options would there be out there for what I'm thinking about? It would be nice to be able to heat a few key rooms without having to pump central heating throughout the house. I suppose I could seal the chimney and spend some money setting my radiators into a zonal system using a solenoid type system that way I could decide how much of house to heat.

Any better ideas?

Advertisement