Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immersion Question

• 23-01-2013 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

How ya lads my immersion at the moment is gone in the house build up of limescale causing the elements to go rcd trips the usual. this will be my first time time changing it any advice for me?:o i no what to do regards the electrical side but haven't a clue plumbing wise 2 pipes are leading in to it one side one pipe the opposite side and a smaller copper pipe on top. whats the best way to drain it i read somewhere not to empty out all of it as this can cause the tank to craic:o
    Any help be great ross:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

there should be 1 pipe connected to bottom of cylinder
    this will have a gate valve on it to turn the water off
    to check,run a hot tap and then turn gate valve off
    this same pipe should have a drain off valve at the bottom too
    if not a small amount of water will seep

if the cylinder has hot water in this will help

use a stainless steel immersion rather than a copper one

the best advise i will give you though is to get an experienced person to do it and watch him carefully
    i have done plenty in the past and when they go wrong.........................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Cheers mate its luck of the draw i suppose. think i will do that thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

meercat wrote: »
    there should be 1 pipe connected to bottom of cylinder
    this will have a gate valve on it to turn the water off
    to check,run a hot tap and then turn gate valve off
    this same pipe should have a drain off valve at the bottom too
    if not a small amount of water will seep

if the cylinder has hot water in this will help

use a stainless steel immersion rather than a copper one

the best advise i will give you though is to get an experienced person to do it and watch him carefully
    i have done plenty in the past and when they go wrong.........................................................
    ...............they go really wrong!! Took an immersion out at 8 O clock on a day night. When I got it out I heard a clink noise in the bottom of the cyclinder. The entire copper socket on the cyclinder that holds the immersion came off and went down like the titanic. Only time it ever happened thankfully. Also plenty of times the treads can be stubborn putting a new one back in or the coil is touching the immersion and you can't line up new treads!!

Hahah jeez lads it can go really wrong so:) i would imagine that was an eventful time:)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Cheers mate its luck of the draw i suppose. think i will do that thanks again:)

no worries
    getting the old one out is the bogey i find
    small taps with a hammer often works(not for the faint hearted)
    plenty of boss white on the new one
    take your time and tell the customer before you start if you have reservations about getting the old one out and any cost implications they may have

• Advertisement

Hahah jeez lads it can go really wrong so:) i would imagine that was an eventful time:)
    I was younger when it happened. Nothing worse than after working a long day this happens to you. Panick sets in. Your hungry, tired, almost sick with worry ( I was an inexperienced apprentice at the time). All

I was younger when it happened. Nothing worse than after working a long day this happens to you. Panick sets in. Your hungry, tired, almost sick with worry ( I was an inexperienced apprentice at the time). All part of the learning process!!

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I was younger when it happened. Nothing worse than after working a long day this happens to you. Panick sets in. Your hungry, tired, almost sick with worry ( I was an inexperienced apprentice at the time). All

A bit like my good-self now:D

A bit like my good-self now:D
    Is there much corrosion around the existing immersion? Just be careful. I forgot to mention the fun pinholes that can sometimes appear after a straight forward change too!!

fun pinholes

was that a typo

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Fun Pinholes?:o so what ye think lads should i chance it? be good experiance if it goes wrong? isn't that what being an apprentice is all about getting life experience?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Fun Pinholes?:o so what ye think lads should i chance it? be good experiance if it goes wrong? isn't that what being an apprentice is all about getting life experience?:D

Go for it! Just get into a pair of speedos first just in case, lol.....

Don't over tighten the new immersion as it can sometimes pinch the gasket and tear it.

thats the right attitude
    no pain no gain

I tell ya something i say i will fairly be feeling some pain tomorrow if it goes wrong:)

meercat wrote: »

was that a typo

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Not a typo..... It was sarcasim at its best!

I tell ya something i say i will fairly be feeling some pain tomorrow if it goes wrong:)

dont rush it
    make sure water is turned off
    then if anything goes wrong get the professionals in
    if you have a blank bung,it may be useful
    post an update
    good luck;)

Cheers lads will do thanks again:)

Not a typo..... It was sarcasim at its best!

fun pinholes so
    happened me a few times
    no fffnnn fun;)

Cheers lads will do thanks again:)
    Yep best of luck. And relax chances are it'll go perfect for you

how did it go o.p

• Advertisement

Totally forgot about an update:D

It was a success the fear was running through but the job was handy enough to do took my time listened to the advice i got here and it went grand:D

good man
    when all goes well ,life is good

yea i taught it would be so easy overall until i looked into it a bit more and realized a lot can go wrong.I will always tackle them with a bit of caution in the future:D

Advertisement