Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retina MacBook Pro busted, need to get it replaced

• 20-03-2015 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

Turned on my 7 month old 13" rMBP last night to a black screen. I googled around and looks like the GPU is gone in it.

I've exams coming up and I've all my college stuff on it, so I'm wondering how I go about getting it replaced and how long that'd take. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As long as you have the receipt, bring it in to CompuB or contact Apple directly. As you are well within warranty, they will sort it.

Hope you had a backup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

tallpaul wrote: »
    As long as you have the receipt, bring it in to CompuB or contact Apple directly. As you are well within warranty, they will sort it.

Hope you had a backup!!

I can just bring it to a reseller and it'll be sorted out? That's handy!

Not backed up. Was just going to this week as a matter of fact! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I can just bring it to a reseller and it'll be sorted out? That's handy!

Not backed up. Was just going to this week as a matter of fact! :P
    Hrm. How easy is it to take the harddrive out of those Macs?

If you bring to a resleer, your HDD may be gone. Data lost/wiped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No discrete HDD in rMBP - it's all on-board.

You shouldn't even need a receipt of purchase - the serial number will be all they'll need in terns of verifying whether it's still under warranty or not. Walk in, and presuming there aren't any external factors such as damaged caused by the user, you'll walk out a few days later with a working laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mike_ie wrote: »
    No discrete HDD in rMBP - it's all on-board.
    Serious? Frick. So how does one take info off a dead device?

• Advertisement

Well technically it's on a discrete card, so in theory you could lift it out and put it into another rMBP of the same spec.

dxTtV.jpg

That's way too much hassle. I'll head into compub on Monday and ask if they can swap it out, if not, no big deal either.

As long as I've a laptop very soon again I'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

they won't swap it out they will repair it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

should be no need to wipe the machine, unless the OS is causing the issue which it sounds like it isn't. let us know how you get on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

should be no need to wipe the machine, unless the OS is causing the issue which it sounds like it isn't. let us know how you get on

Apple's policy, and their resellers, is to wipe a machine regardless. They do warn you of this when you bring it in. Its to rule out software issues

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple's policy, and their resellers, is to wipe a machine regardless. They do warn you of this when you bring it in. Its to rule out software issues

I have yet to hand a machine over to either Apple or CompuB for repair, that has come back to me wiped clean.....

Not sure whom you received this information from, or which service provider you had the misfortune of using but but wiping machines is definitely not standard practice for all repairs. Could you imagine how much hassle that would cause for them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not sure whom you received this information from, or which service provider you had the misfortune of using but but wiping machines is definitely not standard practice for all repairs. Could you imagine how much hassle that would cause for them!

Having worked for Apple, and handed PowerBooks, MacBooks, MBPs etc into CompuB, Stream and Mactivate I can tell you it always was standard practice, unless its a problem such as screen or Casing replacement. Maybe they've changed their policies, but it was always the way to rule out software faults. Stream had you sign an a disclaimer about it when it was dropped in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Does the machine boot before the GPU fails? You could remote in (with ssh) and rsync everything off it. Failing that perhaps you could remove the SSD, its just PCIe, and put it in an enclosure or other machine. Like this:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMPAP2OF3/

Having worked for Apple, and handed PowerBooks, MacBooks, MBPs etc into CompuB, Stream and Mactivate I can tell you it always was standard practice, unless its a problem such as screen or Casing replacement. Maybe they've changed their policies, but it was always the way to rule out software faults. Stream had you sign an a disclaimer about it when it was dropped in.

I can assure you it's not standard policy in Compu b, I would know. :D They certainly will not take responsibility for your data, but will endeavour to keep it. I can't speak for stream (i-connect) or Apple.
    5uspect wrote: »
    Does the machine boot before the GPU fails? You could remote in (with ssh) and rsync everything off it. Failing that perhaps you could remove the SSD, its just PCIe, and put it in an enclosure or other machine. Like this:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMPAP2OF3/

This won't work for all Retinas, Apple started to use proprietary drives in 2013, these days the only caddy is a donor machine.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And (this is probably obvious to you, but still, I'll say it) get an external hard drive that you can use to back your data up weekly as seo amach.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ultra-Anniversary-Premium-Drive/dp/B00MAG2LVI/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1426935062&sr=1-14&keywords=2tb+external+hard+drive

Got it sorted last week. They just rebooted it with different preferences and all was grand again, they didn't know what the problem was. No data lost either.

Advertisement