Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet slow.

Options
  • 11-03-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone.I have a late 2012 i mac and my problem is im not getting the 240 mbs download speed i should be getting with UPC.The engineer from UPC has done tests connected with his windows laptop and hes getting 240 every time.When i test on I mac i get bout 100 mbs and sometimes the 240 and sometimes 70 mbs.Its never steady.The engineer says the fault is with the I mac.Any ideas would be greatly accepted.Just wondering if there is a setting wrong with my pc?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Sounds like you are achieving 100bt. Network.

Check your cable my bet is it only has 4 wires or is incorrectly wired

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.I have a late 2012 i mac and my problem is im not getting the 240 mbs download speed i should be getting with UPC.The engineer from UPC has done tests connected with his windows laptop and hes getting 240 every time.When i test on I mac i get bout 100 mbs and sometimes the 240 and sometimes 70 mbs.Its never steady.The engineer says the fault is with the I mac.Any ideas would be greatly accepted.Just wondering if there is a setting wrong with my pc?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Cat 6 cable connected from PC to router.Already thought of that,Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware.

Once there set Configure to Manually - Set Speed to 1000baseT
    Set Duplex to Full-Duplex, Flow-Control.

Also try setting the MTU to Custom with a value of 1492.

341711.png

Hopefully that should make a difference.

Ken

Thanks tried that this morning.Was getting 245 mbs this morning before trying what you suggest and was still getting 245 mbs when I left,So fingers crossed.will check speed again tonight.Will keep you posted.

No joy with them settings.Getting a mixture between 65 and 180 mbs.Any ideas.UPC are saying the fault is this side?

• Advertisement

what site are you using to test?

what site are you using to test?

I have tried them all at this stage.can you recommend a good one and I will try it?Seems strange it's perfect in morning and crap at night time.Upc still say prob my end.

I know it is their one but it is accurate

speedtest.upc.ie

if you are using speediest.net you need to be careful what location it is testing from. you should select the closest server to you. bear in mind though sometimes these servers are not capable of testing at the speed you have.

I was with a customer this week testing their BB, getting only 3/4mbps instead of the 12. then I realised speediest had selected a test site in alabama.....

I know it is their one but it is accurate

speedtest.upc.ie

if you are using speediest.net you need to be careful what location it is testing from. you should select the closest server to you. bear in mind though sometimes these servers are not capable of testing at the speed you have.

I was with a customer this week testing their BB, getting only 3/4mbps instead of the 12. then I realised speediest had selected a test site in alabama.....

Used both of them.Getting 80 mbs with both tests right now.Just wondering if there is a setting wrong on the mac?

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Used both of them.Getting 80 mbs with both tests right now.Just wondering if there is a setting wrong on the mac?

Possibly some malware? Are you getting full speed on the pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The true speed test is to actually start some downloads and add up the individual speeds. I get wildly differing speeds using online tests. To Cork I get about 1.4Mbps but to London I get about 3 ! Even to Kabul I get higher than in Ireland. I'm on 3 Mobile "Broadband". Yet, from torrents I get almost 7Mbps.

Try transferring a large file from another computer on your network to your iMac and see what the speed is but remember that it will be limited by the transfer rate of the storage your downloading from. This will tell if the port on the iMac is the issue.

A 1GB file takes about 12 seconds to transfer from my NAS to the iMac over 1Gbps Ethernet but 90 seconds over WiFi (G). These are the true speeds of the network adaptors.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Can you use another computer to test the connection? Just to be sure it is related to the mac.

Can you use another computer to test the connection? Just to be sure it is related to the mac.

Will try that later.Have to find someone with a descent laptop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How fast are the internal speeds? If you copy a file across the home network to a NAS or other machine are the speeds approaching the link speed?

I would also suggest removing the Ethernet interface in Network Preferences and re-adding it.

Sorry guys for late reply.Seems the problem is with Upc.Alot of people are having the same problem and Upc are blaming their customers equipment.I think it has alot to do with peak times but they wont admit it.

Advertisement