Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iMac has become terribly slow

• 10-03-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Lately back my iMac has become increasingly slower and slower. It struggles to deal with different applications open at the same time such as Safari, Mail, Spotify etc. Even when Safari/Chrome is open just on it's own it can be slow. There's no real heavy applications or games installed either.

My iMac is a 2009 20" so it's pretty old. Attached are a few specs too. Any help/suggestions? Done the usual empty trash, system repair etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Mine is 2013 and it has become slow lately too. Not sure what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I would upgrade the RAM to 8gb if possible. 2gb is very low for 10.10

I would try Onyx for OS X as well to do a clean up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Open activity monitor for utilities folder, and have a look at what is putting load onto the CPU. If you see window server taking up 20%+, go into system prefs>accessibility>reduce transparency and tick it. It seems as if there's a bug in 10.10 which uses way too much CPU and doesn't release it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

more ram would make a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Thanks for the tips. I've tried the suggestions here but it's still pretty slow. I'm guessing more RAM is the only solution.

Can anyone recommend what RAM I should buy? Don't want anything special just something that improves preformance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

David086 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I've tried the suggestions here but it's still pretty slow. I'm guessing more RAM is the only solution.

Can anyone recommend what RAM I should buy? Don't want anything special just something that improves preformance.

I always go to crucial.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

whiterebel wrote: »
    I always go to crucial.com

Found 8GB of RAM for €70. Is this a good offer?

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/imac-%2820-inch%2C-mid-2009%29/CT3309372

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/imac-%2820-inch%2C-mid-2009%29/CT3309372

There is also http://memoryc.ie to compare. I've never used them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

+ 1 for memoryc.ie

Have used them lots of times and never disappointed.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

]

Would you not stick 16GB in if you can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Effects wrote: »
    Would you not stick 16GB in if you can?

Max it can take is 8gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ah ok. Mines a 2011 27" and it came with 16gb.
    Friend of mine has a 2013 20" and he says it's gone really slow since he updated to Yosemite. Another friend has even gone back to Snow Leopard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Another speed up option that works for me is to boot from an external SSD drive. I had a spare 128gb SSD and now use it to boot up a sluggish Mac Mini. The Mini provides the storage space. It's like a new machine.

Advertisement