Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bunsbun

Hey guys - does anyone know how many beds are in the public wards in Holles st?

Having a c section on monday and dreading the long stay in hospital. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Bunsbun wrote: »

Having a c section on monday and dreading the long stay in hospital. Thanks in advance.

Best of luck for monday! :)

I went private and had an emergency section 3 weeks ago. That night i was in the public ward and if i recall correctly, there were roughly 8 beds in the room.

I was moved on the second day to a private room and while it was nice in a way, the other part of me wished i was back in the public ward as 5 nights post section can be very lonely when visiting time is over and your room door is closed. You have no one to talk to.

I found it much nicer on the public ward.

cruais wrote: »
    Best of luck for monday! :)

I went private and had an emergency section 3 weeks ago. That night i was in the public ward and if i recall correctly, there were roughly 8 beds in the room.

I was moved on the second day to a private room and while it was nice in a way, the other part of me wished i was back in the public ward as 5 nights post section can be very lonely when visiting time is over and your room door is closed. You have no one to talk to.

I found it much nicer on the public ward.

Thanks a million for your reply. 8 beds is what I had heard alright. Is it possible to get any sleep at all? I'm an extremely light sleeper and reluctant to wear ear plugs or anything in case my own baby is crying.

The social aspect of the public ward will be nice i'm sure. I suppose that's what I have to focus on.

What was the food like in there and what type of stuff do you get? Just looking for other things to think about so that I don't start obsessing over the section itself! ;)

Thanks a million for your reply. 8 beds is what I had heard alright. Is it possible to get any sleep at all? I'm an extremely light sleeper and reluctant to wear ear plugs or anything in case my own baby is crying.

The social aspect of the public ward will be nice i'm sure. I suppose that's what I have to focus on.

What was the food like in there and what type of stuff do you get? Just looking for other things to think about so that I don't start obsessing over the section itself! ;)

It depends i suppose really.

I was a month in hospital prior to having our guy and that was in a semi private room (before being moved to the public and private rooms after birth). You do get snorers and that drove me demented but to be honest you will be so out of it on drugs after the section you will definitly sleep.

Which hospital are you going to be staying in? I was in holles st. While the food isnt the best (but sure no hospital food is), the staff were lovely and I just could not fault any of the midwives :)

I'm attending Holles St public.

To be honest, i've had a really rotten time with Holles st. So much so that i've completely lost confidence in them. I'm really looking forward to getting home with my baby and fiance and sleeping in my own bed. If I never saw the place again, it would be too soon. :(

• Advertisement

I'm attending Holles St public.

To be honest, i've had a really rotten time with Holles st. So much so that i've completely lost confidence in them. I'm really looking forward to getting home with my baby and fiance and sleeping in my own bed. If I never saw the place again, it would be too soon. :(

Oh gosh sorry to hear that.

There was a girl opposite me in the public ward who was wheeled into the bed at 4 in the morning and was discharging herself and baby the next afternoon. Maybe that could be something to look into?

cruais wrote: »
    Oh gosh sorry to hear that.

There was a girl opposite me in the public ward who was wheeled into the bed at 4 in the morning and was discharging herself and baby the next afternoon. Maybe that could be something to look into?

Did she have a section though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

The girl in the bed next to me got out of Holles St on the day after her section. She had to argue and argue with the doctors, but even though they advised her to stay in, they couldn't make her. She did have to really convince them that she had a lot of support in place at home, and that she knew to take it easy etc (it wasn't her first section, so she had a fair idea.) She just kept telling them she'd be able to relax and sleep and recover better at home, it made sense really ... the ward was absolutely mental when I was in there!

The girl in the bed next to me got out of Holles St on the day after her section. She had to argue and argue with the doctors, but even though they advised her to stay in, they couldn't make her. She did have to really convince them that she had a lot of support in place at home, and that she knew to take it easy etc (it wasn't her first section, so she had a fair idea.) She just kept telling them she'd be able to relax and sleep and recover better at home, it made sense really ... the ward was absolutely mental when I was in there!

Great. I'm glad to know it's possible. I don't think i'll be able to hack the public ward for nights on end. I'm gonna take arnica immediately afterwards and hopefully that helps with healing. I was talking to my mother about just discharging myself as well. And if it's really bad in the public ward and i'm not sleeping, i'll be doing just that. Can you come back to the hospital if you've issues though (e.g. stitches rupturing etc) or do they essentially wash their hands of you if you were to discharge yourself against their wishes?

Yes as far as i am aware she did. But like another poster said, she really had to argue her way through it. Quite a bit of paper work to sign etc.

As for coverage, the normal time is 6 weeks from time of discharge from hospital, for both you and baby.

I cant imagine that they would be allowed wash there hands of you because you will have discharged yourself. They still have a duty of care and if they argued anything with you, you could always say that to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

My baby girl arrived on Friday following induction. She's wonderful.

Huge congrats to you! Its an amazing feeling x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Best of luck today. The norm is 4 nights in hospital after a section. My wife has had two know and I reckon shed stay in the public ward for more nights if she could, the extra support etc is helpful.
    Entropy7 wrote: »
    My baby girl arrived on Friday following induction. She's wonderful.
    Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Anyone else very, very fed up?
    I'm only over by 3 days but feelin so crappy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Baby boy arrived 16 October and all well thank god.

We went to holles St and I could not fault them the midwives were incredible, they really are superstars.

My wife stayed 3 nights in semi private overflow wing so only 2 other women in room so we were very lucky.

Maybe we went at a quiet time but I really was pleasantly surprised at having such a safe and reassuring time there. You could not be anywhere safer IMO. I'm sure some do have bad experiences there but I think you'd get that anywhere in the rotunda, coombe etc but the midwives really are doing their best, under very difficult circumstances. I ended up hugging them all after the labour and they are so sensitive and kind. But most of all I just felt safe the whole time and knew my wife and baby we're getting the best possible care.

Our boy spent first night in special care unit due to low glucose levels which had me bawling but my wife was such a rock.

After witnessing childbirth I'd never argue against women being the superior race, couldn't believe the pain my wife was in. I have such an admiration for all mothers there's no way I could do that.

Best of luck to everyone.

Baby boy arrived 16 October and all well thank god.

We went to holles St and I could not fault them the midwives were incredible, they really are superstars.

My wife stayed 3 nights in semi private overflow wing so only 2 other women in room so we were very lucky.

Maybe we went at a quiet time but I really was pleasantly surprised at having such a safe and reassuring time there. You could not be anywhere safer IMO. I'm sure some do have bad experiences there but I think you'd get that anywhere in the rotunda, coombe etc but the midwives really are doing their best, under very difficult circumstances. I ended up hugging them all after the labour and they are so sensitive and kind. But most of all I just felt safe the whole time and knew my wife and baby we're getting the best possible care.

Our boy spent first night in special care unit due to low glucose levels which had me bawling but my wife was such a rock.

After witnessing childbirth I'd never argue against women being the superior race, couldn't believe the pain my wife was in. I have such an admiration for all mothers there's no way I could do that.

Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats! Delighted to hear all is well.

I second your opinion on Holles St. They were absolutely fantastic with us also

Congrats on the arrival if your little boy. I was in Holles St. I found the public wards chaotic and unnecessarily noisy, but they looked after me and my little girl when we needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Congrats on the arrivals..have to say I'm jealous:). I'm waiting (not so) patiently here on little one to arrive. Due date is this Friday so I'm hopin I won't go too far over..don't think I can last much longer the way I'm feelin..tired..sore..fed up..hungry but can't be satisfied etc..
    Getting a lot of pain/discomfort down below which is a killer. Back to see midwife on Friday they mentioned a sweep the last day i saw them so will see what she says Friday. I'm more then ready to have this baby at this stage!

So about 4 hours after my last post things started to kick off..beautiful baby girl arrived Thursday morning..to say we're in love is an understatement:) good luck to everyone Xx

Congratulations on the arrival of your little girl!

My little lady was 2 weeks old yesterday. It's been a whirlwind 2 weeks, but I think we're starting to get the hang of things now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Meant to update here, my little man came home almost 3 weeks ago after 13 weeks in hospital, up to 6lb 11oz now, doing really well.

Congratulations to all the new mammies here, hope ye aren't too tired. And to all the ladies waiting, hope ye aren't too uncomfortable!

Our beautiful son arrived on Thursday afternoon. He is perfect in every single way. We are over the moon and utterly besotted!

(I'm actually in tears here even typing the words "our beautiful son". Just such a good feeling!)

On a side note -ladies have your cabbage leaves in the fridge waiting for you when you get home. The pain I was in while in hospital was excruciating. C section scar wasn't nearly as bad. Husband went into lidl and studied which heads of cabbage looked most "breast like" and the relief I have from using them is amazing.

Is the cabbage leaf for pain associated with breastfeeding?

I have multi - mam compresses which I would definitely recommend. I'm not sure how it works but it works really fast. They're a bit expensive, but you can chop them in half to make them last a bit longer.

Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful son!

Entropy7 wrote: »
    Is the cabbage leaf for pain associated with breastfeeding?

I have multi - mam compresses which I would definitely recommend. I'm not sure how it works but it works really fast. They're a bit expensive, but you can chop them in half to make them last a bit longer.

I think it's because I'm not breast feeding that the milk has come in but has nowhere to go!!! Never heard of those compresses but have to highly recommend the cabbage. I'm so much more improved than even a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SettlePettal

Hi girls,

Just wanted to say it's been lovely following your progress. I started this thread with you but unfortunately lost my little one at 11 weeks. I'm so glad they are all arriving now and for the most part all happy stories!

I just found out I'm pregnant again, been trying since May but it feels right as I would of been finished with the last pregnancy by now. Fingers crossed all okay and good look with what comes after. I hope next few years filled with happiness!

Thanks for letting us know your lovely news, SP.

I lost a pregnancy in June last year and that baby was due in December. I found the entire month of December very difficult. But... then we found out we were expecting again in January... and now we have our little October girl after such an incredible journey - last year's sadness and this year's elation. It can be tough to let yourself believe that a new pregnancy can be successful after losing one previously.

Wishing you the best of luck with your new pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

Hi ladies, how are all the new additions and how are all the new mummies settling into motherhood... My little man is nearly 9 weeks and it has just flown by, how is everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

nono2012 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, how are all the new additions and how are all the new mummies settling into motherhood... My little man is nearly 9 weeks and it has just flown by, how is everyone?

Baby is 5 weeks old and all good. Wind causing some discomfort and hiccups even though we're using infacol.

Researching sleep techniques now so trying to get him into routine and sleeping 4-6 hours in one go at night now.

No real smiles yet but plenty of eye contact and much stronger arms and neck now - sometimes won't let us wind him he's so mad for the milk.

• Advertisement

Hi all..little one is 5 weeks today and she's a dream so far! She is really thriving and is a very happy little baby..sleeps well at night too we can get 5/6 hours sometimes more now depending on what time the last feed is at. She had a stuffy nose a couple of days last week and that was tough but it made me realise all the more how lucky we are! Movement and eye contact are getting stronger by the day and little smiles starting to creep in(still could just be wind though😄). I'm getting back to normal too..it's amazing what your body can go through and how it can recover though I won't be running any marathons any time soon!! Am I mental to say that I want to do it all over again in the not too distant future??;)

Advertisement