Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MacBook mid 2012 - Changing from HD to SSD

Options
  • 27-12-2014 6:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Evening folks, just a quick question about changing to an SSD.

As it stands I only have one program (thats not part of the Apple Suite) installed on my Mac, and that is Logic X. I am thinking of changing from HD to SSD and my question is, is there anyway to move Logic X onto the SSD without having to reinstall Logic X? The actually installing Logic X won't be too much bother in itself, however its the 35GB of additional content that is required after that is the main drawback. It took me nearly three days to install it first time around and would rather avoid having to do that again. So, is there anyway to transfer from one to the other without having to do any kind of installing or redownloading of extra content?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Clone the hard drive perhaps?

Look this up online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Are you doing backups? Time Machine?

With that I'd imagine you pop the new disc in, reinstall minimal MacOS or boot restore version from installation medium then restore from backup?

Clone the hard drive perhaps?

Look this up online.

Clone the hard drive won't work as the two disc are unlikely to have the same physical size/layout. Not a showstopper for most files if you're using sophisticated imaging software but there are some OS files for which the actual physical location is important during boot-up.

There may be procedures to overcome this too but I think restoring from backups is your best bet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Boskowski wrote: »
    Are you doing backups? Time Machine?

With that I'd imagine you pop the new disc in, reinstall minimal MacOS or boot restore version from installation medium then restore from backup?

Never did a backup on my Mac, is it worth doing?

If I did do a backup, does that mean it will save all my settings on a drive somewhere, and then when the SSD gets installed I pop everything onto that, with no reinstalling of programs needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

mzungu wrote: »
    Never did a backup on my Mac, is it worth doing?

If I did do a backup, does that mean it will save all my settings on a drive somewhere, and then when the SSD gets installed I pop everything onto that, with no reinstalling of programs needed?
    Better to do a clean install and just copy files over and re download all.

• Advertisement

How is that better? What about all your files, setting etc. and time wasted.

To answer the question above, yes, I do backups all the time. Saved me from a few sticky situations. Get an external disc for backups, they cost half nothing these days, and run the time machine program every other week.

If you're using your pc for more than just private messing around and internet its essential. I couldn't afford losing all my data, even the couple of days it would take me to get the machine back to its current state would piss me off no end.

Boskowski wrote: »
    How is that better? What about all your files, setting etc. and time wasted.

Clean install is always better. Means your starting fresh and no potential issues that were present are not being brought over to the new drive.as I said just copy the files over its not a big deal. And just set up time machine again when you have all transferred. And then maybe 5 mins tops to configure a few settings.

Done a clean install in the last two weeks and I've noticed a big difference from before even though it's still on its standard hdd. My MacBook is also a mid 2012.

I suppose all you have to do is copy your home folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Download and use Carbon Copy Cloner. I switched my HDD for a SSD during the year and it was a completely painless task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Last time I upgraded I used a program called super duper, worked a treat. The new drive was not the same size as the original so that was not an issue, but best of all it was free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thank you very much for the advice guys, its very much appreciated :)
    tallpaul wrote: »
    Download and use Carbon Copy Cloner. I switched my HDD for a SSD during the year and it was a completely painless task.

Did you need to reinstall your apps and programs, or did this just run off the SSD straight off the bat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

mzungu wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the advice guys, its very much appreciated :)

Did you need to reinstall your apps and programs, or did this just run off the SSD straight off the bat?

I did a step-by-step before on this I think. In any event one I installed the new SSD into the machine, the only thing I had to do was input my dropbox password. Everything else was EXACTLY the same as it had been on the HDD...

tallpaul wrote: »
    I did a step-by-step before on this I think. In any event one I installed the new SSD into the machine, the only thing I had to do was input my dropbox password. Everything else was EXACTLY the same as it had been on the HDD...

Excellent stuff, thank you very much for the info :)

But if a bump on a old thread.

Currently in the process of doing this when I've cloned the drive and boot to the sad in the caddy it will work but once I move it over to the machine I just get the flashing folder. Any ideas on what I've done wrong have used both carbon copy cloned and super duper both with the same results so probably doing something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I have exactly the same issue and it looks like it's the SATA cable. From reading online it's a known issue. My MacBook Pro is now booting from the SSD in an external enclosure until my new cable arrives which should be in the next day or so.

DarrenG wrote: »
    I have exactly the same issue and it looks like it's the SATA cable. From reading online it's a known issue. My MacBook Pro is now booting from the SSD in an external enclosure until my new cable arrives which should be in the next day or so.
    Ah nice one i managed to get around it by using a time machine back up to get it going.

Advertisement