Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Docklands station locked again (Wed 9 Jan)

• 09-01-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

It's happened again (last time was 2 Oct last) - Docklands station was locked this morning.

Again I got this report from a friend who takes an earlier train than me. He said that there was a 10 min delay waiting for the spare keys to come over from Connolly and then a further 15 min delay while they figured out how to open up the shutters and doors.

It seems in addition to the spare keys being held at Connolly, they need to include operating instructions with them.

I think I'll have to write to Richard Fearn CEO again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I got a reply from Richard Fearn, CEO, Irish Rail the other day.
    He apologised (and offered to write to my friend to apologise to him).

The issue this time was that the member of staff rostered for duty at Docklands that morning failed to report to work due to sickness.

To ensure this does not happen again, the station will now be routinely visited at opening time by another official with keys, so that the punctual opening is not dependent on just the one Docklands member of staff. Furthermore a call will then be made to the control office to confirm the station has been opened and that the first train can be routed there. If for any reason that confirmation is not received, the first train will be diverted directly to Connolly.

So, this new procedure should prevent this happening again. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Fair dues to him for addressing the problem and creating a solution for it. I know it shouldn't happen in the first place, but it's nice to see something being done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They could of course just wait for the phone call from the guy rostered to work to say he has arrived, which aparently is the procedure. If he doesn't phone, phone him. No answer? Send someone to Docklands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How many people man docklands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

With all the talk of overcrowding on the Maynooth line (Newstalk actually now sending reporters on the trains to confirm how bad it has become), are the trains to Docklands packed?
    Or are passengers waiting for the Bray/Pearse bound services, as that is where they work?
    Just curious.....

• Advertisement

Rashers72 wrote: »
    With all the talk of overcrowding on the Maynooth line (Newstalk actually now sending reporters on the trains to confirm how bad it has become), are the trains to Docklands packed?
    Or are passengers waiting for the Bray/Pearse bound services, as that is where they work?
    Just curious.....
    Last April I counted the passengers on an 8:20 service to Docklands - all seats taken and 27 people standing. It was comfortable standing, sufficient space to read without having the book pressed against your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Just on the experience of a few trips on the 7:45am from Clonsilla, I'd say the last seats fill up at Castleknock. A much more pleasant ride than the Connolly bound services, where the last remotely comfortable standing spaces (in the middle of the carriage) are full by the time the train leaves Clonsilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

<simple solution>Why not just get a copy of the key made and have it kept in the first train that arrives into that station each morning, that way the driver can open it should bellend not arrive for work.</simple solution>

Having another official with keys visit is another waste of resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

<simple solution>Why not just get a copy of the key made and have it kept in the first train that arrives into that station each morning, that way the driver can open it should bellend not arrive for work.</simple solution>

This would probably be a huge issue for the unions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Safety issues would stop that from being a runner. You enter into a situation whereby a driver is leaving his train unattended while in his charge. A driver would risk being sacked if he leaves his train cab, and it has happened in the past. In any case, drivers also have a number of checks and procedures to do from the time a train arrives until it departs so they are tied up, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Safety issues would stop that from being a runner. You enter into a situation whereby a driver is leaving his train unattended while in his charge. A driver would risk being sacked if he leaves his train cab, and it has happened in the past. In any case, drivers also have a number of checks and procedures to do from the time a train arrives until it departs so they are tied up, so to speak.

Well this station is the last stop on the route so it would be reasonable to assume that everyone aboard is getting off at this stop and because the station is locked nobody else is getting on so shouldn't be any issue.

I would imagine it's far more of a safety issue in that a train is entering a station which is locked, if for instance the train was ablaze all aboard would be at risk of being massacred because of a lack of a key preventing an easy escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Well this station is the last stop on the route so it would be reasonable to assume that everyone aboard is getting off at this stop and because the station is locked nobody else is getting on so shouldn't be any issue.

The fact that it is the last stop and that there would not be anybody on it is irrelevant. Although the train is not in motion, the driver would still have to attend to it and is in charge of same until he is relieved; they have enough to concern with as it is without opening stations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also someone could steal the train. I kid you not.

I would imagine it's far more of a safety issue in that a train is entering a station which is locked, if for instance the train was ablaze all aboard would be at risk of being massacred because of a lack of a key preventing an easy escape.
    Docklands isn't an indoor station like Heuston or Connolly, it is open air and there is a escape route that leads passengers into the adjacent empty yard.

Slice wrote: »
    This would probably be a huge issue for the unions
    A former Irish Rail employee made the same comment about the proposal that the requirement that employee at Docklands ring the controller each morning. "They won't like their arrival time being monitored."

The Community Voice, a free Dublin 15 newspaper, had a slightly different report of the incident. They said that a "young worker" slept in. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Surely a CCTV camera at the entrance to the station with a link back to the control room at Connolly would resolve this?

Surely a CCTV camera at the entrance to the station with a link back to the control room at Connolly would resolve this?
    This would probably be an even bigger issue for the unions. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Bond-007 wrote: »

Just put a lock on the steering wheel, they wouldnt get round the first bend:D:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bond-007 wrote: »

I took a joy ride in a train in my youth. Wasnt that difficult to get it going. How far you would actually go before derailing is another question!

Advertisement