Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ag. Science *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I'm struggling a bit with the headings for the crop project and I'm just looking for some advice.

Nutrition- I assume this is just about what nutrients the crop needs in order to grow the best?
    Choice of variety- Talking about the different variety of seeds that could be used? example Rooster, Golden wonders?
    Seed dress - No idea what this one means.

Can anyone advise on the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2wazzaw2

Wondering if anyone can help here, struggling to figure out the marking for the ag LC paper.

Q1 = 60 marks
    Q2-9. = 48 marks

If students pick their 6 questions from the questions worth 48 marks the maximum marks they can achieve is 288 (96%) but the paper is marked out of 300 (100%).
    Does this mean a student is automatically down to 96% if they chose to omit Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

2wazzaw2 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help here, struggling to figure out the marking for the ag LC paper.

Q1 = 60 marks
    Q2-9. = 48 marks

If students pick their 6 questions from the questions worth 48 marks the maximum marks they can achieve is 288 (96%) but the paper is marked out of 300 (100%).
    Does this mean a student is automatically down to 96% if they chose to omit Q1?

yes, that's correct. They automatically lose 12 marks if they don't do Question 1. While it might seem daft, if a student is capable of getting full marks on 6 of the 48 mark questions, then they should have no problem getting full marks on the 60 mark question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2wazzaw2

Wow, it does seem a little daft. I don't teach ag but had a few questions from grinds students about the paper and this one I couldn't get my head around.
    Surely they should go ahead and make Q1 compulsory!?
    Thanks a lot, appreciate the reply.

2wazzaw2 wrote: »
    Wow, it does seem a little daft. I don't teach ag but had a few questions from grinds students about the paper and this one I couldn't get my head around.
    Surely they should go ahead and make Q1 compulsory!?
    Thanks a lot, appreciate the reply.

ya they probably should, but realistically practically every student in the country does it. There is a good choice within Q1, 10 parts to do 6. I tell all my students to do all 10 parts so they have a better chance of getting 6 of them correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Laura788

Can anyone please help me with the ag science project my teacher hasn't really talked about it but he said we were supposed to start it over summer i have no idea how to start it if anyone knows of any websites, has helpful tips or notes it would be much appreciated thanks!!

Laura788 wrote: »
    Can anyone please help me with the ag science project my teacher hasn't really talked about it but he said we were supposed to start it over summer i have no idea how to start it if anyone knows of any websites, has helpful tips or notes it would be much appreciated thanks!!

Read the first page of this thread. everything you need is there.

Read the first page of this thread. everything you need is there.
    Thank you so much for your help!!

sorry to bother you again but are those headings the ones you use in the contents page??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Laura788 wrote: »
    sorry to bother you again but are those headings the ones you use in the contents page??

They're just the topics you need to have included. I had no contents page in my project.

• Advertisement

They're just the topics you need to have included. I had no contents page in my project.
    okay thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Does the pictures from the plant identifcation or information from it have to be your own pictures or can you get some from google.

Does the pictures from the plant identifcation or information from it have to be your own pictures or can you get some from google.

I googled the info, it only needs to be basic stuff. Probably would look more genuine if you went out and picked the plants yourself, you should be able to get almost all of them

I googled the info, it only needs to be basic stuff. Probably would look more genuine if you went out and picked the plants yourself, you should be able to get almost all of them

Does the same go for animal identification, I just get some info from the book and online and put it in, or would I have to base the animal ident, including pics from my chosen farm.

You can if you want. Obviously animals or a certain breed are harder to find, and crossbred animals must display strong characteristics of the breed you're giving it. Probably easier to google for those

A question in relation to these units and chapters:
    Plant Biology and Ecology:
    Cell structure and Physiology
    Structure of flowering plants and photosyntesis
    transport in plants
    plant reproduction
    ecology

Microbiology

Genetics:
    Mitosis and Meoisis
    monohybid and dihybrid crosses
    applied genetics

Out of these chapters and units, If I just study from my biology course would that be sufficient for these chapters in ag.
    I know I will have to study applied genetics and the monohybrid and dihybrid crosses in ag seperately but what about the rest ?

Maybe, maybe not. There might be stuff in the ag chapters that is specific to the ag course that is not in the biology book. You should read through it and see if there is anything extra.

I visited 2 farms for my project, one farm for just potatoes and another farm, for my main farm, and another farm for my dairy section.

I am having troubles to find a place to put the potatoe farm machinery in, shall I just place the machinary pictures and description in the potatoe section or shall I include in the Machinery section where all the other machines from my MAIN farm is.

It won't matter, but I'd put it in the potato section

Just put in a heading like 'machinery used in potato production' in your potato section and put it under that

• Advertisement

Just put in a heading like 'machinery used in potato production' in your potato section and put it under that

Thank you very much for your continous help, any chance you have an idea of what a potatoe driller is and when its used, the only thing I can find in the book close to this is drill information, it does not specifically target the machinery.

Thank you very much for your continous help, any chance you have an idea of what a potatoe driller is and when its used, the only thing I can find in the book close to this is drill information, it does not specifically target the machinery.

I wouldn't call any machine a potato driller specifically. It depends what it is used for. If it is for planting the potatoes in ridges then I would call it a potato planter. If you are talking about ridge/ drill creation then maybe you can use that term

I wouldn't call any machine a potato driller specifically. It depends what it is used for. If it is for planting the potatoes in ridges then I would call it a potato planter. If you are talking about ridge/ drill creation then maybe you can use that term

Its this:

That's a plough, so it would be used for making the drills/ridges.

So I just got started on my farm map and have drawn all the buildings I was wondering do I put im the land there in the same page aswell or use a seperate sheet for land all together.

for the plant section i was just wondering if you have to talk about photosynthesis? and should you follow the chapters in the book like plant minerals and plant transport etc or do you just talk about plants you found on your farm??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So I just got started on my farm map and have drawn all the buildings I was wondering do I put im the land there in the same page aswell or use a seperate sheet for land all together.

Never having done Ag. Sc. and just approaching from a common sense point of view, wouldn't the position of buildings in relation to the land/stock be important? I would put in a map showing the position of the buildings in relation to the land. Are the dairy cattle kept close to the milking shed (for example)? Is there a reason why/why not? Does the positioning of some buildings cause problems? etc.

You can always do a seperate land map too, if you need one.

spurious wrote: »
    Never having done Ag. Sc. and just approaching from a common sense point of view, wouldn't the position of buildings in relation to the land/stock be important? I would put in a map showing the position of the buildings in relation to the land. Are the dairy cattle kept close to the milking shed (for example)? Is there a reason why/why not? Does the positioning of some buildings cause problems? etc.

You can always do a seperate land map too, if you need one.

The cattle and bulls are close to the farm. But completelt seperate from the buildings.
    I have no idea why.
    Yeah, I guess drawing it on another page wont cause much mess. There is barely any room as there is with the buildings.

I just had a qs I forgot to post. In relation to studying the ag course would the rapid revision be sufficient ?. If i studied the whole book.
    For ag science I have both rapid revision and the new revise wise.
    But I already made a start on the rapid revisiok and finished the animal production chapter. Only after noticing the comments left online about the book missing out on a lot of info.

Would this work?
    Keep on studying the rapid revsion and any qs left out answered from the past papers in the rapid revision I study it from the marking schemes ?.

• Advertisement

ya what spurious said above.

You can do it two ways: large plan showing the farm buildings and land, or two drawings: first drawing showing all the land and a smaller version showing the farm buildings on it and then a second drawing showing the detail of the farm buildings/farm yard layout. I ask my students to attach a sheet or two to the back of their plan listing off the buildings and anything else of importance on the plan and explain what they are.

E.g. Slatted shed: Winter housing for cattle, cattle are grouped by size and kept in pens, they have access to silage/ hay at the feed barrier and fresh water. The slats in the floor allow dung and urine to be collected in a tank underneath the shed etc, etc. While the farmers in my classes would be able to explain all of this off the top of their heads, the non-farmers may not to be and it helps them to focus on what they should be asking when they visit their adopted farm

Advertisement