Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parallels and Windows 7

Options
  • 15-03-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I bought my iMac last August with 8GB of RAM. I have one essential program that only runs on Windows, so I bought Parallels and Windows 7 to run it on the iMac.
    Now I know Windows is always slow, but this one on Parallels is really lethargic.
    It uses very little of the CPU and RAM, also the download speed is pathetic; Windows Update wanders between 1 kb/s and 500 kb/s [thereabouts].
    Any ideas or is this par for the course?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How much resources have you assigned to the VM? Have you installed Parallels tools and are sharing the network settings?
    My VM running on 4 cores and 4GB of RAM (out of 32 on my iMac) with a 60GB volume flies along.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Thank you! I am a new user of Parallels and not up to speed. I changed to 2 cores and 4GB and it is much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Same here 5uspect. Never a bother. Five years and still smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

JonMac wrote: »
    I bought my iMac last August with 8GB of RAM. I have one essential program that only runs on Windows, so I bought Parallels and Windows 7 to run it on the iMac.
    Now I know Windows is always slow, but this one on Parallels is really lethargic.
    It uses very little of the CPU and RAM, also the download speed is pathetic; Windows Update wanders between 1 kb/s and 500 kb/s [thereabouts].
    Any ideas or is this par for the course?
    Now I know Windows is always slow, what a terrible statement. My PC with Windows 7 boots to desktop in 11 seconds, it's slow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Lucky you. My Dell with Windows 7 is diabolical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

200motels wrote: »
    Now I know Windows is always slow, what a terrible statement. My PC with Windows 7 boots to desktop in 11 seconds, it's slow alright.

Boot time is dependent on the speed of your storage device. Booting any OS from a SSD is going to be faster than booting from a spinning disk.

However the fact remains than Windows is in general a much more sluggish experience than most *.nix environments. I wanted a significant amount of time this week while Win7 'discovered' and 'recycled' several hundred gigs of old measurement files when OS X or Linux would just mark the files deleted instantly and I could have gotten back to work.

Windows is in serious need of a complete overhaul. Windows 10, unlike previous versions, appears to more than an exercise in deckchair rearrangement at least.

Advertisement