Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Troubleshooting Macbook Pro system disk

• 17-03-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm reasonably technically proficient but it's been a while since I've regularly used an Apple so I thought I'd seek your advice in fixing a 2011 Macbook Pro.

It refused to boot and displayed a folder emblazoned with a question mark, which I took to mean a problem seeing the boot partition/disk. I booted to recovery mode and used disk utility which didn't see the HDD at all, just the internal dvd drive. I installed OSX Lion to a USB drive and booted from that successfully with no problem, however OSX didn't acknowledge the existence of the HDD at all again.

I opened up the laptop and removed the HDD (stock Apple supplied Hitachi 2.5" 500GB) and transplanted it to a Windows desktop which to my surprise did see it, so I imaged the entire drive and using Macdrive was able to directly access it from within Windows and selectively back up pictures/music/documents etc.

The next obvious step as I see it would be to buy a fresh SSD, stick it in the Macbook, reinstall OSX and transfer the backed up data. My only worry is the complete inability of the Apple to see the disk at all while Windows seems fine with it. I can understand a failing disk corrupting OSX and stopping it from booting but why can't Disk Utility or the OS (on USB stick) see it at all? Is it possible that the SATA port/controller has spontaneously stopped working somehow? I don't want to go and order a brand new ssd only to find the laptop can't see that either, and unfortunately I don't have any spare hard disks about to test.

Would really appreciate any tips or suggestions from more experienced Apple-heads.

Comments

Advertisement