Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malahide to CityWest

• 25-01-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows the best way to get from Malahide to CityWest?

I've got a car so I'm thinking the M50, but I'm not sure if I realise how bad this could be? What would be the average time to make this journey?

Are there any viable options for public transport? Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

nachos wrote: »

I've got a car so I'm thinking the M50, but I'm not sure if I realise how bad this could be? What would be the average time to make this journey?

M50 is the only way from there, it also depends on what time you are going at morning, afternoon or evening, but id imagine it could take at least 1hr or a little more depending on traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Easy

DART from Malahide straight to Heuston. Then upstairs and onto the luas to Citywest.

Oh wait...hang on..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Easy

DART from Malahide straight to Heuston. Then upstairs and onto the luas to Citywest.

Oh wait...hang on..:rolleyes:

Electrify the Park Tunnel and we're nearly there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

nachos wrote: »

Try the DART to Tara Street and get the 50 from College Green or the 65B from Eden Quay. There are some local services in Tallaght, 201 and 202 that serve the estate if you wish to get the LUAS to Tallaght. If you are closer to the Citywest Golf club, the 69 from Aston Quay (The old Virgin Megastore) may be a better option. A weekly Bus/DART ticket is €30, ten trips over the Westlink will be almost as much alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

"Try the DART to Tara Street and get the 50 from College Green or the 65B from Eden Quay. There are some local services in Tallaght, 201 and 202 that serve the estate if you wish to get the LUAS to Tallaght. If you are closer to the Citywest Golf club, the 69 from Aston Quay (The old Virgin Megastore) may be a better option. A weekly Bus/DART ticket is €30, ten trips over the Westlink will be almost as much alone....................."

forget that the M50 will be quicker, Adjust the heater, listen to some music or the morning news , forget the queues, youll ghet there and way faster then the above lot of rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

BoatMad wrote: »
    "Try the DART to Tara Street and get the 50 from College Green or the 65B from Eden Quay. There are some local services in Tallaght, 201 and 202 that serve the estate if you wish to get the LUAS to Tallaght. If you are closer to the Citywest Golf club, the 69 from Aston Quay (The old Virgin Megastore) may be a better option. A weekly Bus/DART ticket is €30, ten trips over the Westlink will be almost as much alone....................."

forget that the M50 will be quicker, Adjust the heater, listen to some music or the morning news , forget the queues, youll ghet there and way faster then the above lot of rubbish

Not necessarily! A colleague recently took over 2 hours to get from Portmarnock to Tallaght via the M50.

From town, the 0720 65B would generally be at Citywest within an hour, while the 0735 might take 1 hour and 15 mins.

everyone has their M50 horror story , told with glee in the local pub, and mothers use it to frighten kids with bogeyman stories about it.

Try it and see , 100,000's of motorists cant be wrong.

PS anytime RTE tells you to avoid it , travel down it, loevely and clear, their announcements usually are about 4 hours afterthe event.

as for the public transport, well you can stand for an hour, then get wet waiting for the bus, listen to the racket as it bounces over the road, then walk ( in the rain ) from your stop to your destination

alternatively you can turn up the heater a little, put on that nice CD or listen to that language training CD etc etc..... The queues also provide a interlude to shout at the news, brush your hair, fiddle with teh CD, day dream....

BoatMad wrote: »
    everyone has their M50 horror story , told with glee in the local pub, and mothers use it to frighten kids with bogeyman stories about it.

Try it and see , 100,000's of motorists cant be wrong.

PS anytime RTE tells you to avoid it , travel down it, loevely and clear, their announcements usually are about 4 hours afterthe event.

as for the public transport, well you can stand for an hour, then get wet waiting for the bus, listen to the racket as it bounces over the road, then walk ( in the rain ) from your stop to your destination

alternatively you can turn up the heater a little, put on that nice CD or listen to that language training CD etc etc..... The queues also provide a interlude to shout at the news, brush your hair, fiddle with teh CD, day dream....

Indeed.

The OP asked for public transport options and that's what I am giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I travelled from Portmarnock to Leopardstown via the M50 for 2 years. Leaving at 9 I usually made it to the office for 10 without any major problems (a bit slow between Ballymun & the toll bridge/N4 junction) but leaving at 7.30 it could take anything up to 2 hours to get into work.

After the Red Cow junction the traffic usually moved very well. I can't advise on the N7 at that time of day, but as you'd be travelling outbound in the morning I'd assume that the traffic would be light enough from the Red Cow out to City West, of course there could be a lot of time spent queueing on that exit so it's worth looking at alternative routes.

OP - if you do decide to try the M50 tune in to Dublin City Anna Livia FM (it's 103.2) they've got a traffic programme in the morning & evening that is more accurate & up to date than the bulletins on RTE & Today FM.

After 2 years of travelling I finally gave in & moved house! Of course that's not an option for everyone...

The OP asked for public transport options and that's what I am giving.

Hmm , I think you should read the OP with more care in future, There are several questions in it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but I would suggest that you are being somewhat economical with the truth.

Every mode of transport has their off days, beit public transport or the M50. However, to suggest that the M50 is "lovely and clear" in the morning peak southbound and in the evening peak northbound day in day out is stretching things a bit.

I know - I've travelled it enough times in the peak and so do several of my colleagues, one of whom now drives through the city from Santry to Tallaght in the mornings as it is faster!!

You can sit back and listen to music on public transport last time I checked - nothing exclusive about your car for doing that! And yes one can get wet using public transport. But that's what umbrellas were designed to prevent.

It boils down to choice - and some such as Boatmad prefer to drive, and others such as myself prefer to use public transport - where I can read a book/newspaper, do the crossword, listen to my ipod, all of which can't be done while driving a car!

Advertisement