Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo

Options
  • 07-11-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Anyone else doing national novel writing month? I was scornful in previous years but I now find it quite helpful in getting me motivated and sticking to a deadline. 5,500 words in, still behind the pace but I'm picking up as I get going and get a better feel for my main character.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Not this year, although I might try to do it next year. That'd give me a chance to dust of the couple of chapters I managed during last year's 3-day-novel contest and maybe even get somewhere with them. Sounds like you're more of a writer than I am though - I'm a total amateur who just thought it sounded like something fun and very quickly got bogged down. Have a whole lot more respect for people who can write now (not that I didn't before but you know what I mean). Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

I'm no writer, believe me! My previous attempts at writing were characterised by extreme self loathing and inevitable deletion.

This time, I'm racing through, refusing to revise anything. I rarely read back on what I've written. The idea is to get as much on paper at the start and then edit the hell out of it afterwards.

I'm my own worst critic, and that is the problem. I end up comparing everything to Umberto Eco or Franzen or whomever my favourite writer is, and I feel extreme self loathing and give up.

Its a very healthy thing, to write. It helps clear my mind.

Its a very healthy thing, to write. It helps clear my mind.
    I absolutely agree with this. Tried on and off over the years to keep a diary but it was only when I discovered blogging that I really managed to do it consistently and it has made such a huge difference to me. I did the April A to Z blogging challenge last year and had a great time with that, which is why I thought I'd give the three-day-novel a go. Turns out you really need to have ideas if you want to write a novel, though. I think the challenge of writing a bit every day for a month is probably more up my street than the three days straight thing - more time to think and decide where things need to go next if you get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

woo hoo, I am. On nearly 25k words now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

woo hoo, I am. On nearly 25k words now.

Jaysus. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bump.

Anyone this year? November is nearly upon us.

I'll give it a shot, though 1666 words a day is a hell of a lot!

Arghus wrote: »
    Bump.

Anyone this year? November is nearly upon us.

I'll give it a shot, though 1666 words a day is a hell of a lot!

It's not to hard when you abandon any thoughts of the quality of the output and just churn out the words. Go for it Arghus. I wrote most of my novel over the space of two Novembers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I do it, ignoring the quality. It's nice to just get words on a page and realised that you've written the bare bones of a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Feel the churn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's not to hard when you abandon any thoughts of the quality of the output and just churn out the words. Go for it Arghus. I wrote most of my novel over the space of two Novembers.
    I toy with the idea every year then chicken out. I honestly don't think I could fit it in around the rest of my life. Do you have to put everything else, like social life, hobbies, housework to one side?

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    I toy with the idea every year then chicken out. I honestly don't think I could fit it in around the rest of my life. Do you have to put everything else, like social life, hobbies, housework to one side?

I have a full time job, kids, the lot. I had a 6 month old last time I did it.

The best approach to take is not to be afraid of not making the 50k. Try to do your 1.7k a day, but even if you only make 500, that's 500 more than you would have otherwise written.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chatelaine

I fail every year after the first few days! I might give it another go this year, but I tend to get bogged down in trying to write "final draft" stuff - I need to let go of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ah sure I'll give it a go too. (gulp)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Das Kitty wrote: »
    echo beach wrote: »

I have a full time job, kids, the lot. I had a 6 month old last time I did it.

The best approach to take is not to be afraid of not making the 50k. Try to do your 1.7k a day, but even if you only make 500, that's 500 more than you would have otherwise written.
    Well, I totally missed/ignored this last year but I think I might give it a go this year. Although it's funny that you mentioned 500 there because I had just decided that before I talk myself out of it, I don't have to actually write a novel, I just have to write something every day and 500 was what I'd decided on. I did also change my mind about what I wanted to write and decided that if I ever do manage to write something, then a soppy romance of the Mills&Boon variety is a more realistic option than, well, just about anything else. So that gave me a bit of a focus over the last few months. And a lot of fun rereading some of the hundreds of them I read as a teenager.
    I sort of fleshed out a vague outline for a romance novel a few weeks ago and even, gasp, wrote a small bit of it. And given that 1 November is a bank holiday where I live, I really have no excuse to not at least get it done on the first day. Thanks for bumping this Arghus!

I'm going to try and see how far I get. I don't expect to be close to 50,000 words but even half that would be great.
    I've cleaned the house, stocked up the freezer, washed and ironed enough clothes for a month and am ready to start.
    Will check in again in December...if I survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeddyDeadly

I'm doing it this year for the first time. only a mere 2,600 words in so fa but will hopefully pick up the pace now that I have my notes ready. Give it socks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

I'm doing it again this year. It can be a tough slog but it's a great motivator too. Good luck to anyone doing it.

Well, I did it. I didn't win but then I didn't expect to. I set myself the target of writing 1,000 words every day and only missed two days, which I did make up so I ended up with 30,057 words to add to the barely 10,000 I had written over 15 months.
    I haven't read a single word of them, not even to proofread, so I suspect that most of it is complete rubbish but if I can use 10% or so it will be a start.
    I expected the biggest obstacle to be time but I managed to carve out an hour or so everyday. That sounds like a lot of time but which of us doesn't spent that long watching TV or browsing social media? I discovered you CAN live without them, or with a lot less of them. In practice I found it hard to keep writing and avoid going back to re-write or 'improve' on the earlier writing. It did spark some more creative ideas but also turned the plot upside down and left it with even more plot holes than there are potholes on an Irish road.

Overall it was an amazing experience. I did something I didn't think I could. I now know that my constant complaint of not having enough time to write is nothing more than an excuse. With a bit more preparation I think I might even be able to hit 50,000 next year. At least I'm willing to try.

Advertisement