Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restricred breed list - omfg

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hellrazer wrote: »
    +1

This is the real source of the problem.Its the little scumbags that think owning a so called restricted breed makes them look cool.

In the last few months Ive seen at least five 15-16 year olds walking around with Akitas--they are barely big enough themselves to handle a dog that powerful but for some reason they think its great to be seen with one.

Theres one bloke Ive seen that keeps setting his Akita on smaller dogs--well you know winding the dog up while hes walking it and a smaller dog walks past.Thats a disaster waiting to happen.

FFS, I'm getting worried about the akita in this country. There are so many of them turning up in the pounds already because people dont realise that they NEED a lot of work, and then you get idiots like that. If that dog ever got off lead, you can bet that a small dog would be killed in an instant. They have a high prey drive, there's no bloody need to reinforce that with their own species!! Someone told me once that he would love to see my fella get into a fight cos he'd 'mangle any other dog'. I told him to F*** Off, my dog would roll over on his back before he'd fight another dog cos he's well-trained and loves other dogs. Why the hell do people only want these dogs to look tough, they are big soppy bears!! If people continue to take that kind of attitude with an akita, the amount of bites credited to akitas is going to rise even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I fear that the UK trend for "weapon" dogs will increase here. With the penalties for carrying weapons it can seem to make more sense for these people to have a vicious dog. I have heard of cases in the UK where a dog has been used to intimidate a victim - hand over your phone or the dog will bite you. If the dog bites & the victim goes to the police, it's easy for the owner to blame the dog.

One of the reasons why the UK rescues are full of Staffies is that some do not consider them "hard enough" & they are going for bigger breeds.

But also the increase in burglary & theft is encouraging people to get a guard dog. I have seen countless threads on Boards where people have been recommended to get a dog to protect their home. This is a recipe for dog bites & again it will be the poor dog, who is doing as he has been trained, that faces the consequences.

I hope that the UK drops it's BSL & focuses on penalties for owners. If your dog bites, because you have encouraged it to, then you should be made to pay for it's rehabilitation & care.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

The restricted list seams to me to be the list of dogs that people afraid of dogs find the scariest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The restricted list seams to me to be the list of dogs that people afraid of dogs find the scariest

Yes which proves it'd based on appearance. Pure racism!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that you are right but is their fear based on so called reputation ? How many of these people have ever really got to know a breed that they find scary ?

It may be that people who are afraid of dogs are more likely to get bitten as their fear could be perceived as a threat by the dog. Really it is up to anyone with a fear or phobia, that they are likely to encounter frequently, to seek help to conquer it.

If you met a Pit Bull wearing one of these you might see it as a threat.

index.jpg

However if he had a collar like this you might view the dog very differently.

21ERuDvovPL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

The problem is that when you see a restricted breed it may be wearing a muzzle, not because it is dangerous but because of the law. So the restricted breed regulations actually make the perception even worse. If it wasn't for the muzzle you might not give the dog a second glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

there is perception based unfortunately because of that list and the media in general that certain dogs are bad. a friend of mine has a lovely pit bull that was off the lead at a field near his house. some old dear walking by said its lovely and asked what it was. as soon as he told her it was a pitbull her face dropped and she said it should be muzzled and they are vicious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. The two bodyshapes that seem to trigger it are the "wolf" look, the various husky breeds, the GSD, that sort of thing. The other is the stocky type dog, the "Bouncer" type :), the PBT, the rotties etc. I can somewhat understand the wolf part as that could be a very old danger meme and fairytales and horror movies don't help. The Bouncer type is mostly to do with media IMHO. It's a weird fear too, for the most part. An Irish wolfhound would not be seen as threatening as a pitbull for many if not most, but an Irish wolfhound would have a much more damaging bite if it decided to get aggressive and far more bulk behind it. Much more. Bite strength is mostly to do with size of the head and muzzle. And the idea that pitbulls were "bred that way", Irish wolfhounds were bred to hunt down and kill wolves*.

*interesting story behind them and for such an Irish dog, they had at one point a certain Oliver Cromwell to thank for their promotion.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

there is perception based unfortunately because of that list and the media in general that certain dogs are bad. a friend of mine has a lovely pit bull that was off the lead at a field near his house. some old dear walking by said its lovely and asked what it was. as soon as he told her it was a pitbull her face dropped and she said it should be muzzled and they are vicious.

with pitbulls i do think muzzling is acceptable but should still be owners choice, only because some of them have a seriously high prey drive and dog aggresion is common. they are bred to be game dogs afterall. i know a few PBT owners who wouldnt go out without a muzzle, law or no law.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes it defo depends on the individual dog alright. Though huskies aren't on the list AFAIR and they have very high prey drive (in general of course).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Zapp sorry I missed your question,

I thought the caption at the bottom was clear enough, but I'll explain further for the sake of clarity, let me preface my remark by saying that dogs are like people in the sense that none are born bad / evil

There are some who due to lack of training, or trained to attack "sick-em boy" etc, and I wanted to suggest that these owners that do not take care of their animals in a responsible manner should be punished alot more than the law currently allows, and few thousand euros compensation to the families is of little comfort.

The pic on the obese dog was another example of buttholes wanting the biggest meanest dog they can get, and then staining the rep of all dogs in its breed or size. It's not acceptable and should not be allowed.

In my opinion these owners should be jailed, and fined far more than the law allows at the moment, and if the dog is trained to attack, or not trained to be passive the onus of attack falls squarely on the owners of the animal.

That's all, I wasn't trying to steer the thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭friedcircuits

Just reading this today because there is a lab in my estate let out every evening from a house across the road and he stands in the middle of the road and barks at cars then moves then proceeds to chase the car also runs at and barks at passers-by very annoying dog. Does anyone have a draft of a letter I can anonymously put in their letter box, thanks. Also I have a German Shepard who has to be the biggest child I know, doesn't have a bad bone in his body, I do have him on a lead but would never ever muzzle him. I agree it's the dog owners not the dogs themselves for example there is two bijon frise in my estate when I walk my German Shepard they are the agressors and they are not the only aggressers in the estate my fella walks calmly by them all but me knowing if I let him off the lead and he did the same thing dog warden etc would be called. I think alot of people have alot of misconceptions. Anyways I'll stop now! But if anyone has a draft letter for the problem above thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. The two bodyshapes that seem to trigger it are the "wolf" look, the various husky breeds, the GSD, that sort of thing. The other is the stocky type dog, the "Bouncer" type :), the PBT, the rotties etc. I can somewhat understand the wolf part as that could be a very old danger meme and fairytales and horror movies don't help. The Bouncer type is mostly to do with media IMHO. It's a weird fear too, for the most part. An Irish wolfhound would not be seen as threatening as a pitbull for many if not most, but an Irish wolfhound would have a much more damaging bite if it decided to get aggressive and far more bulk behind it. Much more. Bite strength is mostly to do with size of the head and muzzle. And the idea that pitbulls were "bred that way", Irish wolfhounds were bred to hunt down and kill wolves*.
    *interesting story behind them and for such an Irish dog, they had at one point a certain Oliver Cromwell to thank for their promotion.

I was just thinking is it also who is on the other end of the lead? I dont mean that in a bad way but I have never come across anyone really who is scared of my GSD's, even with their muzzles on. Most people will stop and ask about them. We took them walking in Killarney national park with their muzzles on and I could not even count the amount of people who came up to us asking could they rub them etc. Same thing in Ballina park.

On the other hand I know loads of people who are scared of a guy near us who walks his rottweiler off lead and another guy with GSD's.
    Maybe there is nothing in it but I would be interested to know if the females walking the RB's have the same reaction as males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Don't know if me being female has an effect on people's reaction to my Rottie but I do think the fact that she is walked with a Chihuahua certainly buts people more at ease around her. Ironically my Rottie is the most friendly of my 3 dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Its quite amusing sometimes as i walk my 2 on haltis and the amount of times i get asked if they are vicious or do they bite, I walked past a woman the other night and she turned to her friend and said look they must both be nasty. People often mistake the halti for a muzzle. My 2 are woosies and would hide behind me :rolleyes:

Advertisement