Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Husky too thin?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

hmm sounds tricky lol Would you object to videoing the prep and cooking and uploading to YT?

Or if there is already a good walkthrough up there that you know of and just paste the link, I think I would prefer raw and cooked natural foods, but knowing me I'd mess it up the first time and lose confidence :P

I've looked at this lady http://youtu.be/FJ6pyO121ZI is this what your describing?

Should I de-bone any raw foods? I've seen some people use ground beef, chicken or turkey and adding "pet mix" into the batch to make it "balanced"

Honestly there is sooooooooo much £^"$ out there its hard to know what's actually good, and I'd prefer an experienced owner to some commercial selling "magic beans"

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

All the info on what to and how to feed are in the previous posts, there's loads of sensible people about here.

Don't take the bones out of fresh chicken (they are where the money is for dogs building bones). In short for a carnivore bones build bones, cartilage builds cartilage (with condroitn, vit C etc), muscle builds muscle etc.

Re youtube, I'm slap bang in the middle of putting that together. PM in a month. Got bored listening to that woman on the link though! I don't cook the meat but as long as she's sticking to (roughly) 70% meat, 10% bone and 20% cooked veg you're on to a winner. Everyone will peddle you special "recipes". As long as you vary the meat you put in, you're laughing. Get yourself some raw oily fish (mackerel / herring) by the 10kg from a factory (make sure they're from frozen or freeze them yourself). Best joint forming protein and oils for that soon-to-be working huskie who is expressing lameness. Make up enough food for 3 weeks at a go so you don't get a pain in your teeth doing it. Store in huge lunch boxes in your freezer and have one going in your fridge so you just have to scoop into the bowl!! Easy. Bulk buy keeps it cheap.

I feed my bones separate around 3 times a week just because they get in the way of the mixing/storing process. I hack chicken carcass up with a big cleaver on top of chest freezer outside (I keep all the dogs stuff separate, a big pot, her own chopping board, a cleaver, bags, lunchboxes, antisep wipes, rubber gloves, in a big tub outside). Once you get your area sorted it's grand, before that you're running around using your mums best china kind of thing, covered in blood and sinew, the dog licking your trousers.

Read all previous posts from anyone on here that's raw feeding (that'll take a few days), take some notes, browse on google (watch your sources), give it a go, then get back with your success stories!!

Heres a thread on bones if you're worried about them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75549098&postcount=42

There is loads of rubbish out there. Go to Amazon.co.uk (or better yet the bookdepository, dirt cheap books) if you're getting confused and pick up a book, you'll have it in 3 days. Hust type in "dog food" or "feeding dogs" or whatever. Not one of these books, written by folks that have looked into dog diet, will recommend dry food. Buy any one of them. Doesn't matter which as they're all just repeating the work of two Aussie vets, Ian Billinghirst (Give YOur Dogs A Bone) and Tom Lonsdale (Raw Meaty bones), both good books too. Or check out their websites, or give them a ring!

Interestingly if you put in "dry food" into Amazon all you get back are financial reports for the first 30 entries!!! Not one book or recommendation! Very telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Smashing stuff :)

I'm going to enjoy pounding the bones with a mallet, I'll start small maybe 2-3 feeds a week and build it up slowly. We just tossed a chicken carcass yesterday, a shame really.

Thanks again for the top posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Vince32 wrote: »
    Smashing stuff :)

I'm going to enjoy pounding the bones with a mallet, I'll start small maybe 2-3 feeds a week and build it up slowly. We just tossed a chicken carcass yesterday, a shame really.

Thanks again for the top posts.

Words there are none.. Soup? Maybe I am just of a much older generation that always used every part and bit for food. In the days when chicken was a very rare thing; just at Christmas actually.

Waste is.....

But you will know now!

The greatest pleasure we had last Christmas was watching collie deal with a large part of raw turkey back. Bottom in the air, head down and utter bliss. Took her around 15 minutes.. When we got her she had been fed on cheap tinned food mushed up with cheap white bread in water. Her teeth are far better than they were.

LIDL and Dunne's have had real bargains on turkeys. eg E9.99 for 5 k. We eat the white meat and the critters get the rest over time.
    It is easy; not as complicated as some here make out.

DogsFirst wrote: »
    All the info on what to and how to feed are in the previous posts, there's loads of sensible people about here.

Don't take the bones out of fresh chicken (they are where the money is for dogs building bones). In short for a carnivore bones build bones, cartilage builds cartilage (with condroitn, vit C etc), muscle builds muscle etc.

Re youtube, I'm slap bang in the middle of putting that together. PM in a month. Got bored listening to that woman on the link though! I don't cook the meat but as long as she's sticking to (roughly) 70% meat, 10% bone and 20% cooked veg you're on to a winner. Everyone will peddle you special "recipes". As long as you vary the meat you put in, you're laughing. Get yourself some raw oily fish (mackerel / herring) by the 10kg from a factory (make sure they're from frozen or freeze them yourself). Best joint forming protein and oils for that soon-to-be working huskie who is expressing lameness. Make up enough food for 3 weeks at a go so you don't get a pain in your teeth doing it. Store in huge lunch boxes in your freezer and have one going in your fridge so you just have to scoop into the bowl!! Easy. Bulk buy keeps it cheap.

I feed my bones separate around 3 times a week just because they get in the way of the mixing/storing process. I hack chicken carcass up with a big cleaver on top of chest freezer outside (I keep all the dogs stuff separate, a big pot, her own chopping board, a cleaver, bags, lunchboxes, antisep wipes, rubber gloves, in a big tub outside). Once you get your area sorted it's grand, before that you're running around using your mums best china kind of thing, covered in blood and sinew, the dog licking your trousers.

Read all previous posts from anyone on here that's raw feeding (that'll take a few days), take some notes, browse on google (watch your sources), give it a go, then get back with your success stories!!

Heres a thread on bones if you're worried about them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75549098&postcount=42

There is loads of rubbish out there. Go to Amazon.co.uk (or better yet the bookdepository, dirt cheap books) if you're getting confused and pick up a book, you'll have it in 3 days. Hust type in "dog food" or "feeding dogs" or whatever. Not one of these books, written by folks that have looked into dog diet, will recommend dry food. Buy any one of them. Doesn't matter which as they're all just repeating the work of two Aussie vets, Ian Billinghirst (Give YOur Dogs A Bone) and Tom Lonsdale (Raw Meaty bones), both good books too. Or check out their websites, or give them a ring!

Interestingly if you put in "dry food" into Amazon all you get back are financial reports for the first 30 entries!!! Not one book or recommendation! Very telling.

Jeepers; you make heavy weather of it all! Books? Mallets? Far too complicated for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Graces7 wrote: »
    Jeepers; you make heavy weather of it all! Books? Mallets? Far too complicated for me.

Agree with you Grace, the whole feeding dogs thing has been over complicated on purpose, to confuse pet owners into thinking it's too difficult. Ironically though only a great deal of reliable info to counter the wave of pseudo science out there that has engulfed our vets and pet shops, is going to put it right again.

Some of my posts are too long I totally agree. Feeding a dog is dead easy, as easy as feeding your kid, but some people take a bit of persuasion. Books for info, mallets for bones that "will choke your dog" etc, all totally unnecessary but very necessary at the same time!

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Agree with you Grace, the whole feeding dogs thing has been over complicated on purpose, to confuse pet owners into thinking it's too difficult. Ironically though only a great deal of reliable info to counter the wave of pseudo science out there that has engulfed our vets and pet shops, is going to put it right again.

Some of my posts are too long I totally agree. Feeding a dog is dead easy, as easy as feeding your kid, but some people take a bit of persuasion. Books for info, mallets for bones that "will choke your dog" etc, all totally unnecessary but very necessary at the same time!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Excellent info Dogsfirst. The amount of people that come into the practise with malnourished dogs is unreal.

I ask : "What are you fedding him/her"

"Ah I feed them the good stuff you know, pedigree chum" :rolleyes:

People just seem to forget that a dog is a carnivore.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭blaaah

Hi, just issue about cut offs from butchers, can I give them to my rotties & husky raw or a means of cooking them is better?
    The meat is beef, with few short bones thrown in.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Siberian husky are not like Malamutes,

Malamutes are bigger and wider, unlike Malamutes if a Siberian husky is not walked he will let you know and can get aggressive and can bite their Owners.

Huskies are mainly used for pulling for the High Energy where Malamutes are big and powerful they can never last as long as a Husky.. saying that their high energy gives them a high metabolism so i will not worry once you are giving them the right food and the right amount you will be fine..

Advertisement