Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an article in the Indo confusing

Options
  • 24-11-2015 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just been reading the following article:

Irish teachers amongst best paid in world, despite 'austerity' cuts - OECD

...and I'm stumped.

The bit that I'm having trouble with is this:
    Irish teachers do spend more time in the classroom than their international counterparts and Irish class sizes are also higher than the OECD average.

However, they don’t have the same statutory requirement as teachers elsewhere to spend hours every week on other school duties.

The difference in teaching hours is greatest in primary schools, with an Irish teacher putting in 915 hours a year, compared with a global average of 772.

At second level, Irish teachers are contracted for 735 hours a year, against an international average of less than 700.

So, while the annual statutory working time for Irish teachers is either 915 or 735 hours , the international average is about 1,600 hours. However, teacher unions in Ireland argue that Irish teachers put in a lot of extra time voluntarily.

What are these other duties that they're saying teachers elsewhere spend approximately 50% of their time on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I think they may be referring to situations where teacher must be in school until 5pm, by contract, even if classes finish at 3:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well first of all their figures are wrong. Add in 9 hours of PT meetings at 2nd level that are mandatory, add in 33 Croke Park hours that are mandatory and add in ....ah f**k it, I couldn't be arsed dealing with the sh**e that the Indo print any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In boards.ie world the journalist would simply be flamebaiting.
    In teacher speak, the indo is a rag.
    All education journos are looking to get their snout on the govt advisory ticket.. a la John Walsh.
    Any more spin and zanussi will be getting anxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks all. Happy for the thread to be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

endagibson wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks all. Happy for the thread to be closed.

Thread Closed then.
    It's a pity no-one ever gives a teacher's perspective in these articles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement