Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use an Alphasmart or similar word processor for writing?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering because I've heard some writers swear by it. They are lightweight and more portable than a laptop and as they have no internet capabilities, they take away all the distractions that a laptop holds (the internet is my biggest obstacle when it comes to sitting down and writing :o) Alphasmart aren't manufacturing these any more but there are still some available out there and I've been considering picking one up for myself for xmas. Has anyone used one as their main writing tool? If anyone is wondering what I'm on about, here's an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alphasmart-NEO-AA-0410-10971-AQ-Neo-Handheld/dp/B007BHWRII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arubap

Looks like exactly what i need. Did you find any available locally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The only local seller I could find was www.renlearn.ie who sell the Neo 2 but the price was ridiculous. www.portabletechnology.co.uk are selling the neo 2 for 118stg. I was bidding on a used neo 2 on ebay from a uk seller but got outbid so instead opted for a used alphasmart dana which was also from a uk seller. I paid 45 stg plus £5 postage (to parcel motel). I actually prefer the dana model as it has an sd card slot. Just waiting on delivery now so I suppose I'll have to wait and see when it arrives! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

There is a similar device to the AlphaSmart being developed called the Hemingwrite.

I looks really nifty, with an e-ink display and mechanical keyboard. It's not designed to be portable but looks like a neat, distraction-free, stand-alone word processor; it even has a backlight. I have a feeling that they will be fairly expensive upon release though.

Pic of prototype:
    http://hemingwrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/red_render_low.jpg

http://hemingwrite.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was eyeing one of those up last week!! They look absolutely brilliant but I reckon they will be very expensive when they come out. Is there any sign of a release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

No release date yet.

I agree, I think there'll be a hefty price tag. The backlit e-ink screen is a huge plus for me, it would be far better than a standard screen for long sessions, though apparently there is a slight delay if you are a fast typist.

I'm not to sure about the current lack of removable storage; as it is, it only allows for transfer of files over Wifi. For me a USB port or SD card slot would be a welcome addition.

Also, transferring the files over Wifi, to the cloud, opens up the potential for the theft of your finely crafted prose by a passing, technologically clued-in, intellectual property flaunting, knave!

• Advertisement
Advertisement