Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1.9 snapshot

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else been playing around with the snapshot? There's actually sooo much stuff in the snapshot, and yet some of the best stuff seems to be left out! A really great update coming up for sure.

My two favourite things are actually really simple improvements - you can make pathway grass blocks by just right-clicking a grass block. Sooo simple to make good looking pathways in survival now.

Second favourite thing, the new way single glass panes and iron bars render. No more clunky looking cross shape.

I haven't even had a chance to look at the actual new blocks yet or the new End set up. There's new End dungeons and pirate ships apparently?

Oh, and there's beetroot.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Very important - do not use this snapshot on your main world without a rock-solid back up. There are multiple ways this snapshot can corrupt your world badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is that the voice of experience? Did you fup up some of your worlds?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

OldGoat wrote: »
    Is that the voice of experience? Did you fup up some of your worlds?

Nope no harm done, I have backups of all my worlds. There are all kinds of problems with signs, it corrupts your world to where you need MCedit to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Tryed these today they are pretty cool hope they are added

So much more stuff being added in the last few snapshots, too much to mention. Shields are in, and there's loads and loads of combat changes. Some kind of ice mob is on the way too.

• Advertisement

Controversial change incoming - Players will once again bump into each other instead of ghosting through. I way prefer this, it's more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Oni's King of the Tower game is going to be alot more fun now. :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

All hail the return of The Game Of Boop! :D

Strange to think of exactly how much of the last 4 years of my life have revolved around booping juju and bland off bridges into rivers... ^_^

More big changes coming in - there is now a kind of hang glider thingy that can be found in the End dungeons, and boats are fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

More big changes coming in - there is now a kind of hang glider thingy that can be found in the End dungeons, and boats are fixed!

Hehe,if i had a penny for everytime Mojang said boats were fixed id be a rich man:D

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Hehe,if i had a penny for everytime Mojang said boats were fixed id be a rich man:D

Well at the very least, they've changed the crafting recipe and appearance! You now need to put a shovel into the recipe, as an oar.

Not going to play test any of these new things until the release version is...released..

Is there an animation for the oar? Havent seen that

Im interested to see how the changes will affect the game,wont get to see any of it till the changes make there way through to mods though. Dont really play vanilla at all anymore

http://gfycat.com/SlowExaltedGoat

Hope this isn't patched out. You have to love the creativity to find these shortcuts.

13_17-38-46_bT4wxlKK4k.png

Apparently this is part of a new enchantment.

^^^ It's frost walker, so water turns to ice for a few seconds. Makes travelling across oceans much easier!

There's also a really awesome new enchantment called mending - When holding a tool with mending, any XP orbs you pick up will now automatically go towards repairing the tool.

^^^ It's frost walker, so water turns to ice for a few seconds. Makes travelling across oceans much easier!

There's also a really awesome new enchantment called mending - When holding a tool with mending, any XP orbs you pick up will now automatically go towards repairing the tool.

*looks up* I think our server hamsters could do with a Mending enchant right about now... :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    *looks up* I think our server hamsters could do with a Mending enchant right about now... :o

http://instantrimshot.com/

Oi! You can't use that link except when responding to a comment ending with :pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Ice mobs eh....hmm. I've only just adjusted to the sea monsters. The bumping into each other is a pain in the swiss especially when you mine in tunnels like I do and some wise ass runs up behind you :P

• Advertisement

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Ice mobs eh....hmm. I've only just adjusted to the sea monsters. The bumping into each other is a pain in the swiss especially when you mine in tunnels like I do and some wise ass runs up behind you :P

It looks like I was wrong about the ice mobs, they haven't appeared in any snapshots yet and I assume the full release isn't too far off now

The bumping sounds like even more fun now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

I'd be in favour of the addition of an Abominable Snowman / Yeti for snow biomes or extreme hills. That'd be pretty cool. Kinda like a iron golem style mob.

He'd be super rare though.... & offer you yellow snow cones :P

Pretty sure Igloos are coming in the next snapshot. Wish the full release would hurry up! I assumed it would be out by now. Maybe a hallowe'en release?

Yup, igloos are in the latest snapshot.

v0GRqoa.png?1

They are not always the same inside...Check them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Remove the carpet inside, some have a dungeon below.

Big improvement in the paintings, at least in breaking them. Still nothing to fix the classic pain in the butt for getting the one you want.

Ender crystals are now craftable, which is awesome, and Notch apples are no longer craftable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm liking the ambidexterity - quite often I switch between two tools or blocks while building something.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Any ideas when the update will be ready for release?

Longest time i can remember between updates. Which is a little worrying as its the first since MS took over. They probably have mojang flat out on the Windows 10 edition.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Any ideas when the update will be ready for release?

Longest time i can remember between updates. Which is a little worrying as its the first since MS took over. They probably have mojang flat out on the Windows 10 edition.

Won't be released til around January. They've been doing weekly snapshots, so the Dev team is heavily focused on the normal version. It is a huge release, easily the most new stuff, and there's a hell of a lot of bugs to be ironed out.

• Advertisement

So 1.8.9 has just been released. What's on it? F*ck all.

Advertisement