Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS Combination of Leaving Cert subjects?

Options
  • 11-06-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a repeat leaving cert and I just sat my geography exam today. I don't think I got a B. In fact I think I did ****.

I need 5 Bs for my Edinbrugh Uni course all higher level and I do 5 higher level subjects. I already got accepted but I won't be able to meet tge conditions. At most I think I will get 3 Bs. :( this whole thing is depressing me big time because I really want to go to edinbrugh.

If I resit the geography exam as an an external candidate in January ( I heard you can ) and still managed to do 4 Bs in the leavibg cert right now will I be able to combine this years grades with my January geo grade?

I really need to know because I don't want to do tge leavibg for tge third time. I've cried my eyes out like crazy thinking about how much a great opportunity is gonna be wasted. I want to go to Edinbrugh sooo badly it's unreal.

Would they let ne defer my year at this stage? Please help....:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

First of all don't panic - most of us think we tanked when that's not always the case :)

Worst case scenario and you resit, yes you can combine the grade with the ones you get this time round, so long as you are substituting the same subject (i.e. you can only include geography once).

As for deferring, some places are cool with it, some less so. You'd really need to speak to Edinburgh and see what they think. There's also the possibility that they'll let you in with say, a C in geography. If you don't make the cut this year then it's not really a case of deferring exactly, and you may need to reapply next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

pow wow wrote: »
    First of all don't panic - most of us think we tanked when that's not always the case :)

Worst case scenario and you resit, yes you can combine the grade with the ones you get this time round, so long as you are substituting the same subject (i.e. you can only include geography once).

As for deferring, some places are cool with it, some less so. You'd really need to speak to Edinburgh and see what they think. There's also the possibility that they'll let you in with say, a C in geography. If you don't make the cut this year then it's not really a case of deferring exactly, and you may need to reapply next year.

Thanks you see it's just cus tge course starts in September so it just makes me think that surely january to resit an exam is too late? I don't understand the system at all...

Would it be wise to get in contact with Edinbrugh now or should I wait untill August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well they may take you with whatever grade you get this sitting, in which case you'd start in September. If they insist on the B and you don't get it, you'd have to wait until next September (as your resits are in Jan right?).

It's only really 'deferring' in the applications sense if you got the grades this September but decided for some other reason not to start until next year. Beyond that it's usually a case of reapplying if you miss the grades first time round.

There are other scenarios - an A elsewhere may compensate for a C in geography - only Edinburgh can give you a definite answer. If it were me I'd email them now and just ask what my options are if I miss out on one of the Bs. You don't know for sure that you have, but putting the feelers out early is no harm. Don't dwell on what's already done and I'll keep my fingers crossed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

pow wow wrote: »
    Well they may take you with whatever grade you get this sitting, in which case you'd start in September. If they insist on the B and you don't get it, you'd have to wait until next September (as your resits are in Jan right?).

It's only really 'deferring' in the applications sense if you got the grades this September but decided for some other reason not to start until next year. Beyond that it's usually a case of reapplying if you miss the grades first time round.

There are other scenarios - an A elsewhere may compensate for a C in geography - only Edinburgh can give you a definite answer. If it were me I'd email them now and just ask what my options are if I miss out on one of the Bs. You don't know for sure that you have, but putting the feelers out early is no harm. Don't dwell on what's already done and I'll keep my fingers crossed :p

Ifs really the most miserable feeling ever. It was just geography and I neglected it so badly. I could have easily aced it with a little attention. I'm pretty sure I got a B if not an A in English. Geography... I definitely cocked it up. My life feels so miserable. I only have 3 exams to go, only in which 2 of them I can get B grades leaving me with just 3 Bs. I'm so depressed it's unreal and it feels like the end of my life I don't want to repeat a 3rd time. :'(And realistcally me cramming now for 4 days doesn't seem enough to get me a single A...:(

I just sent an email to the admission office outlining my current situation and asking what my options are. My insurance choice is Aberdeen and I don't think I can get the grades for that either - 4 Bs...:( it's not even hard. I can't understand how I let all of this happen to me again. I think maybe I'm just stupid. I study so much but still don't see myself getting anywhere.

I'm leaving everything to God and I'm just going to study as much as I can. Hopefully if I get an A in history or art and 3 Bs they will accept it... Even that seems like a long shot.

Do you think grades are a huge part of whether or not they accept you? If i don't get the grades and beg them on the phone will they accept? I feel like I'm asking such silly questions... I want to study Anthropolgy and Sociology in Edinbrugh more than anything in my life... I'm scared if I apply againnext they will not accept me and I won't even get a conditional offer. I hate my life so hard. I need a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

all you can do is plead with the college on results day if you don't meet your offer.

They are under no obligation to accept you if you do not meet the requirements they set you. UK colleges offer more places then are on offer for this very reason, not everyone meets their offer. If the numbers who met their offer is lower then expected they might let you in or they might not.

Like pow wow said, contact the college directly and ask them if you can meet the offer on the tariff basis.

I remember hearing that being outside the uk helps because you pay fees but that could be only in the case of non EU internationals as their fees are higher.

good luck and who knows you might surprise yourself on results day. The worst exam i thought I'd ever done turned out to be a A, very weird realising I couldn't judge myself for ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement