Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

reparing a bent quarter panel

Options
  • 26-03-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

I dinked my car, 01 Skoda fabia, against a gate last week in the rain (it just came out of nowhere I swear!). Was a silly accident, but luckily I was only moving slow and I think the damage is only cosmetic.

Looking at the dent (I have pics if you need to see them) the quarter panel has taken the brunt of the impact and bent inwards slightly. This has caused to to come away slightly from the front bumper on near the headlight.

As far as I can tell this only needs to be bent back into alignment and maybe a screw or 2 re screwed.

I received a quote for 300. This is because the panel needs to come off, the headlight needs to be redone etc.

Is this really the case, or is he just chancing his arm? I waiting on a few other mechanics to get back to me and will visit another this afternoon. but Id like some more opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need pics but sometimes it needs to be taken off and resprayed.
    If it just need to be pulled out and refitted (no spray) then 300 is too much.
    Check with panel beaters, not mechanics.

Is the headlight broken? Or just pushed to the side?
    You can even try to fix it yourself, depending on how bad it is. This is the DIY forum after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

CknbOC5,cp9FnlG#0
    http://imgur.com/CknbOC5,cp9FnlG#0
    Hopefully these images show. They ain't great.

The headlight hasnt moved. There is very little damage aside from the panel buckling.

I would happily try to fix it myself. The appearance of the car is only secondary, as long as there is no lasting/dangerous damage.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

This is my first car, and it was bought with the intention of being the car i will learn on, repairs, maintenance, etc so I am happy to roll up my sleeves and start banging away at simple jobs.

As far as I can tell the quarter panel just needs to be popped back into position. The scratches and paint transfer are pretty unsightly but there doesn't seem to be any drastic damage.

Having said that, I have an NCT retest on saturday, so i would prefer to get it professionally done this time around, do the botched DIY stuff at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

In fairness the mounting points for the headlamp could easily have been bent etc there, and while it might not be very visable, it could throw it off enough to fail the ntc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

cletus wrote: »
    In fairness the mounting points for the headlamp could easily have been bent etc there, and while it might not be very visable, it could throw it off enough to fail the ntc

Aye, its a concern.

However, it has been through the nct last week, and failed on a cv boot and tracking rod ends, retest on saturday. hopefully they wont recheck the headlights

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Having said that, I have an NCT retest on saturday, so i would prefer to get it professionally done this time around, do the botched DIY stuff at a later date.
    It's not a great pic (quite small) but since you don't have much time go to a local panel beater or two and ask if they can put it back ok.
    As long as the panel isn't sticking out and can snag someone NCT should be fine with it. Their concern is safety, not appearance.

Tbh, without seeing what it looks underneath the panel it's hard to say how much work is involved in fixing that.
    Open the bonnet and look at the headlights from above, do both look the same (straight)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

if you just want a fast job with no paint i cant see you being charged any more than an hour or 2 in labor cost, if i was to price it up including spraying the wing and smart repair on the bumper then the quote you got for 300 would cover it

Advertisement