Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

And that Shairoze Akram is a Rossie, as our many of the lads on the Mayo hurling panels.

Never understood why Ballaghadereen play in the Mayo championships.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

con89 wrote: »
    And that Shairoze Akram is a Rossie, as our many of the lads on the Mayo hurling panels.

No, he's a Pakistani, he clearly makes that distinction. He also has an All Ireland medal playing for Mayo and I wager it won't be his last. While I doubt Sundays result will have much bearing later in the year, I have it on good authority that every JC Penneys within a 6 block radius of Gaelic Park was sold out of underwear Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

con89 wrote: »

Plans were blocked in the 1990'same to allow two teams in the town.That would have been the fairest outcome but a certain man with too much power in Connacht made sure it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

yabadabado wrote: »
    Plans were blocked in the 1990'same to allow two teams in the town.That would have been the fairest outcome but a certain man with too much power in Connacht made sure it didn't happen.
    It's now possible that 7k people in the Athlone area could be in Westmeath if KENNY and his henchmen get their way.This could include Clana Gael playing in Leinster and could effect Bridget's.KENNY has already downgraded Hyde Park and will make Salthill/Castlebar top grounds in Connaught. These grounds will get serious funding due to the possibility of Ireland getting the rugby World Cup.Roscommon racecourse has lost meetings including a very valuable Sunday meeting and Ballinrobe has increased its fixture list.Kilbeggan regarded as the worst track in Ireland has plum Friday/Saturday meetings.The hospital also adds to the fact that KENNY wants Roscommon wiped of the map.Nobody is standing up to this abhorrent rape of a lovely county .

I think you are way off the mark bringing that into it.I think Kenny is as big a clown going but cant put any of those at his door bar A&E problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sting60 wrote:
    It's now possible that 7k people in the Athlone area could be in Westmeath if KENNY and his henchmen get their way.This could include Clana Gael playing in Leinster and could effect Bridget's.KENNY has already downgraded Hyde Park and will make Salthill/Castlebar top grounds in Connaught. These grounds will get serious funding due to the possibility of Ireland getting the rugby World Cup.Roscommon racecourse has lost meetings including a very valuable Sunday meeting and Ballinrobe has increased its fixture list.Kilbeggan regarded as the worst track in Ireland has plum Friday/Saturday meetings.The hospital also adds to the fact that KENNY wants Roscommon wiped of the map.Nobody is standing up to this abhorrent rape of a lovely county .

sting60 wrote:

sting60 wrote:

Jim Corr is that you....I've read it all now.
    🙊🙊🙊🙈😆😆😆ðŸ˜႒😀😂

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Conor Daly has left the panel.

Going to Australia as far as I know.

Big loss, I think he's the best of the Dalys. Excellent link player and ball carrier.

megadodge wrote: »
    Conor Daly has left the panel.

Going to Australia as far as I know.

Big loss, I think he's the best of the Dalys. Excellent link player and ball carrier.

He left about 3 weeks ago which is a pity .He has plenty to offer but if a lad wants to travel cant really blame him.

Any sign of Peter Domican returning home,he would be about 26/27 now .I wonder will we ever see him play for Ros again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Blackjack wrote: »
    Didn't see that score line coming. A win is a win mind. I know I'd happily take an all Ireland if we were to win by only one point in every game on the way to it.

Major difference in winning an All Ireland, hell even a League title or Connacht,

and

New York, a team that rarely plays competitive football, a team whose panel is forever changing and some of them (not all of them) just about played Intermediate level back home in Ireland.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's amazing that a team of exiled club players (mostly) can put it up to a division 1 team like this. Would have been one of the greatest shocks of all time.

They've threatened it on occasions though and had Galway on the ropes a few years ago aswell. Problem is they never manage to keep the same team together as there's too much turnover of players.

For Roscommon it's a case of job done and you move on to the next day but for Connaught teams in general it's another lesson that this can be a fixture fraught with danger because you never quite know what you're going to get from NY they're the ultimate unknown quantity whenever you play them.

So I wouldn't over-analyse this one. It's probably a case of a New York team that was a bit better than usual and a Ros team that was understandably a bit complacent. Ye got the win anyway and it's a bit of a reality check from the hype that was surrounding the team a few weeks ago.

London reaching the Connacht Final not a shock? They too have similar issues as New York but a more organised structure with leagues etc

AFAIK the game in 2010 was a draw, and Galway won in et.
    No need for hyperbole here, a win is a win. Onwards to Carrick-on-Shannon in 3 weeks:it's perfect. The Laytrum crowd now have hope in their hearts:let's snatch that away in 3 weeks ;)

Ah, a lovely sunny Sunday in Carrick. Can't beat it

Most of it is only continuing the discussion that has been going on around this Roscommon outfit since early last year.

There was a lot of talk about their promotion to Div 1, possible Connacht champs, then their losses to Sligo and Fermanagh, then came the high profile managerial appointments, then their great start to the league and their poor finish.

NY was their chance to regroup and kick start their champaign, but they scraped past with a record low winning margin for this fixture.

You hardly expect us to sit idly by and not comment, we would be doing the form a disservice.

Poor Finish in the league? Ah come on, we expected/feared to be relegated or in a relegation dog fight on the last day. The fact that we got a semi final appearance was a huge bonus.

We should have beaten Monaghan the first day, Kerry (without their main lads and it been the league) was a pleasant surprise, although Dublin took the foot off the gas, we could have still snatched a draw from that game, Mayo was pretty disappointing and Kerry at Croker, meh, it is Kerry, teams bar Dublin seem to feel beaten before they leave the dressing room (this has to stop)

I really hope there were legitimate excuses for this latest performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Little note to Yabadabado.........I think a little bit of respect should be shown to our Taoiseach / Prime Minister. Whether you ( or I ) support him or not, he is the democratically elected leader of our Parliament. It is time for people to show courtesy where courtesy is required.....people ( including Taoisigh ) have feelings you know....thank you....

liamos43 wrote: »
    Little note to Yabadabado.........I think a little bit of respect should be shown to our Taoiseach / Prime Minister. Whether you ( or I ) support him or not, he is the democratically elected leader of our Parliament. It is time for people to show courtesy where courtesy is required.....people ( including Taoisigh ) have feelings you know....thank you....

HI Enda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

liamos43 wrote: »

Where was his respect for the sick and dieing when he went out of his way to close the hospital.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jesus lads, there's a politics forum just a click away! Back to GAA talk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Back on topic, anyone else a bit worried for tomorrow given recent performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

spiralism wrote: »
    Back on topic, anyone else a bit worried for tomorrow given recent performances?

vs second worst team in the league?
    nope

I think they did very little training in build up to NY.
    I expect a win by 6+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

2nd worst team and only 6point win big climb down from what was being said on this thread earlier in the yr.

• Advertisement

NY performance was atrocious and we got ripped apart at times by Kerry but I don't think we did too bad against Mayo or Dublin.
    NY aside our 3 previous games were against by far the 3 best teams in the country who are a couple level above us and are in a totally different universe to Leitrim.

I'm hoping for a good performance today where we show our potential and if that happens I would expect a comfortable win.We aren't as good as some portrayed us during the league but we are definitely better than the NY game.

naughto wrote: »
    2nd worst team and only 6point win big climb down from what was being said on this thread earlier in the yr.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Iam not having a go but ye should be putting teams like ny letrim to the sword as early as possible in the game so ye can give the bench a run.

naughto wrote: »
    Iam not having a go but ye should be putting teams like ny letrim to the sword as early as possible in the game so ye can give the bench a run.

Roscommon rarely hammer Leitrim, so I would take a three point win in Carrick

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Roscommon rarely hammer Leitrim, so I would take a three point win in Carrick

Last game in Carrick was 8 pts win and Ros were playing div 3 that year.Also beat them by 12 or 13 points the last time in Hyde.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Last game in Carrick was 8 pts win and Ros were playing div 3 that year.Also beat them by 12 or 13 points the last time in Hyde.

Sorry I just remember the horror show when Tommy Carr was manager in 2003 (or 2004) the drawn game. You are right, either way I would be content with a 3 point win and them not scoring much

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Sorry I just remember the horror show when Tommy Carr was manager in 2003 (or 2004) the drawn game. You are right, either way I would be content with a 3 point win and them not scoring much

I really think if we stop them scoring goals we win this with ease.They will try to hit everything in onto our FB linevitable and if we deal with that we come away with 8 or so win.

job done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Job done with the minimum of fuss but hard to get an accurate assessment of where we are at given the quality of the opposition yesterday.

Played in fits and starts all game. Some very good movement up front at times and took some very good scores, at other times we over did the hand passing through midfield and the half forward line when a good kick pass had the potential to release the inside line.
    Worked the ball out of defence really well but it would be very surprising if Sligo afforded us the luxury of uncontested kick outs.
    Without seeing stats we did seem to win the majority of breaking ball with Davy Murray being particularly impressive in this regard. Still think we need Keenan to be starting somewhere in the half back line although that's not a slight on any of the lads performance yesterday just a note on the lack of quality we faced yesterday and what is bound to be a much tougher assignment in 3 weeks time.

The quality of our free taking was very poor though and hopefully it's a case of bad day at the office in that regard because I reckon we left 4 very handy points go with another couple of missed that ya would normally expect one of the 3 free takers to get.

What's the latest on the injury front lads? Particularly Enda Smith, his pace and ball carrying ability would be a massive plus.

On a totally different note but how flat was the atmosphere yesterday? I know the game was really over as a contest with Conor's goal but even before that there was no real buzz in the ground.

• Advertisement

Job done with the minimum of fuss but hard to get an accurate assessment of where we are at given the quality of the opposition yesterday.

Played in fits and starts all game. Some very good movement up front at times and took some very good scores, at other times we over did the hand passing through midfield and the half forward line when a good kick pass had the potential to release the inside line.
    Worked the ball out of defence really well but it would be very surprising if Sligo afforded us the luxury of uncontested kick outs.
    Without seeing stats we did seem to win the majority of breaking ball with Davy Murray being particularly impressive in this regard. Still think we need Keenan to be starting somewhere in the half back line although that's not a slight on any of the lads performance yesterday just a note on the lack of quality we faced yesterday and what is bound to be a much tougher assignment in 3 weeks time.

The quality of our free taking was very poor though and hopefully it's a case of bad day at the office in that regard because I reckon we left 4 very handy points go with another couple of missed that ya would normally expect one of the 3 free takers to get.

What's the latest on the injury front lads? Particularly Enda Smith, his pace and ball carrying ability would be a massive plus.

On a totally different note but how flat was the atmosphere yesterday? I know the game was really over as a contest with Conor's goal but even before that there was no real buzz in the ground.
    not enough alcohol consumed.
    that always contributes to atmosphere

Advertisement