Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just saw The Third Man....

Options
  • 23-09-2003 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

....and what a film! I usually don't go in for the Noir type ones but I'm certainly far more open to them now than I ever was....anyone know any other good B&W films to look out for?

I've also gotton into those european films they've been showing lately...."wow, films with good plots"......if there's one thing hollywood has done for us its made us appreciate a decent film compared to the crap they dish out....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

On the water front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Boston
    On the water front

Agreed and then you can go for the Brando double by watching A Streetcar Named Desire.
    But The Third Man is one of my favourite films no doubt absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Third Man is a great movie.

Try The Big Sleep as well.

And Arsenic and Old Lace. And Kind Hearts and Coronets (this is only on R1 DVD[1] so you might have to wait till it rolls around on telly)

May as well have a looksee at Citizen Kane as well.

[1] Except as part of the pricey Ealing Comedy box set or an old French release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

third man is brilliant, i love the music.

rififi is worth a look, has am amazing scene that lasts about half an hour, breaking into the jewlery story, and the tension is ratcheted up by it being all but silent. has been copied loads of times since, is highly influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

12 angry men is also a must see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

The 400 Blows is great. So are Breathless and Touch of Evil - not at all stagey or stuffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Angels with dirty faces - Cagney (unfortunately not yet available on DVD)

Duck Soup - The Marx Brothers (available on R2 in November)... funniest film ever

Probably neither of these are along the lines you're looking for but they're both brilliant so watch them anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

key largo
    scarlet street
    touch of evil
    kiss me deadly
    the asphalt jungle

go rent them from laser video on georges street and enjoy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

blood simple
    kind hearts and coronets
    the ladykillers

Advertisement