Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

InterMission - Possibly the best irish made movie ever????

• 31-08-2003 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

just went to see InterMission last night. It starred Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney and quite a few more irish actors that you would recognise straight away from irish tv programs such as fair city, bacholers walk etc...

I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a film as much in the cinema in a couple of years as I have when i went to see InterMission.. It was brilliant..

It reminded me a lot of Trainspotting i.e. the type of story and the style of acting etc....

definitely well worth going to see.. I really hope this film does well as it deserves..

anyone else seen it? what are your opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Just saw it tonight,
    absolutely brilliant

*Go see this film* !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Saw it tonight too and it's very good. It's the best Irish movie I've seen in a long time. Colin Farrell is very good playing that scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Just saw it... Simply brilliant..

Colm Meaney is excellent, the kid is hilarious ***...

See it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Great film, a definate must see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Very good, highly recommend it. Very funny aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was going to see it anyway (that clip I saw with the double-decker turning over was enough to persuade me) but it's good to see that people liked it (I'm sick of going to bad movies & haven't much time over the next few weeks)

Just waiting for Dave to arrive in and say "quite good" to totally persuade me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

This is an fantastic film an Irish Magnolia or Short Cuts if you will.

I think that I went down has a new compeitor for best Irish film ever.

The only critcism is that as it was shot on digital is a might grainy at times but you come to expect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

class film, i never laughed so hard in my life, great opening as well. and the music haa. go see it, its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ah lads... i'm gonna have to disagree.
    This film was a bit of a mess IMO. As an ensemble piece, bringing together story lines it just didn't work. Some of the story lines where really half-heartedly done, so that it felt really stilted.
    Bringing them together was really clumsily done. The comparison to Magnolia is ridiculous. Magnolia was expertedly done, this was a wannabe cool film. I was completely underwhelmed by the whole thing and find the praise its getting really over the top. If it wasn't being so hyped up maybe I could take it for what it is - a complete popcorn film.
    As for the acting, didn't think it was that great... Colm Meaney overacting as usual, Colin Farrell good as a scumbag cos he is one, Cillian Murphy wasn't great either but then he didnt have a lot to work with really.
    If this is the best the Irish film industry has to offer then i'm worried.

i knew so called film buffs wouldn't get it. of course Colm Meaney over acted, that was the point and what made him so funny, thats what makes him such a "****ing animal" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Colin Farrell good as a scumbag cos he is one

didn't he go to some posh D4 boarding school???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

yessss he did. he's no scumbag born and bred in castleknock.
    he was in balkisangle ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

i went down on amphetamines, and better for it. is more a guy ritchie film that the grit of trainspotting - while the central love story is good, and played out well, it's just not up to the seriousness of trainspotting. meaney, farrell and murphy actually pull it off, bouncing off one and other.

the simpsons comic-book praise of "the best irish film. ever" is a little over inflated. compared with recent "irish" movies - evelyn, the magdalene sisters, raggy boy, veronica, the actors, dead bodies, yes, it's a work of art. but it's in that vein of about adam and brendan/trudy - new irish, fun, confident. but the best irish film, ever? time to lodge that reality cheque, if you ask me. i even think goldfish memory is going to give it some competition for the best irish film of 2003.

all the same though, is a v funny album, and the dialogue is pretty funny, in a sort of mythological larger-than-life way.

[possible spoiler?] the end is a quite like liberty vallance, in a nice sorta way.[/spoiler]

now, i've gotta find me bottle of brown sauce and stick a brew on ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    didn't he go to some posh D4 boarding school???

He went to Gormonstown in Co.Meath which is'nt that posh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

class film! very funny and enjoyable.

The shortcut trailor before it was good too.

Anyone else laugh at the opening sequence with Colin Farrell and the waitress?

Originally posted by Gideon
    class film! very funny and enjoyable.

The shortcut trailor before it was good too.

the whole cinema laughed and clapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

thats alrighty, for some reason only our row laughed, me + 5 of my friends back row of screen one in ster century liffey valley, never seen so many people there before in my life, weird for a Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The short film before it sucked, and is a perfect example of where our film industries badly needed funds go.

The film was good, but it was far from brilliant. A good story and good acting just isn't enough. What was lacking was any kind of visual style. It appeared that they were going for a hand held dogme approach, and it just didn't work. The unnecessary zooming in and out seemed forced, and nothing in cinema should ever seem forced.

If it is to be compared to Magnolia or Short Cuts, it comes off as amateurish. The pacing was awful, not throughout, but in parts. The climax of the film preceeded a good ten to fifteen minutes of wrap up, and following that there was even more in the credits. A it's supposed to be a quirky film?

The music was terrible. The use of fast comedic music weakened several scenes, for example, when Dierdre O' Kane attacked her husband outside the bank.

Kelly MacDonald struggled too much with the accent, and as such couldn't deliver a performance as good as she could have.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed it. It wasn't a bad film. I'm glad that a film has been made in Ireland that isn't necessarily about Ireland. And I really hope it does well enough for more films of its kind to get made.

But best Irish film ever? No chance...

Originally posted by Gideon

Cracked myself.

That's my local Deli too. So I was busy looking at the background when he hit her.

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    A good story and good acting just isn't enough.
    maybe not, but they're more than half the battle
    It appeared that they were going for a hand held dogme approach, and it just didn't work. The unnecessary zooming in and out seemed forced, and nothing in cinema should ever seem forced.
    dogme is it? wow, and there was i thinking of the squidillions of films coming out at the moment using hand-held dv, from tadpole and tape through full frontal and ivans xtc and a long list of others. but dogme, you say?

as fot the zooms - funnily, the director is a theatre guy. he's simply gone for the antithesis of theatre, an in your face documentary-ish style. which actually works well, if you ask me. is a simple trick, but effective.
    The use of fast comedic music weakened several scenes, for example, when Dierdre O' Kane attacked her husband outside the bank.
    the clue was in the music - you were meant to laugh. it was funny.
    Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed it.
    really?!?
    But best Irish film ever? No chance...
    well, you're right on something, at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

quite enjoyable.. worth seeing anyway, very good effort.

Originally posted by SweetBirdOfTruth
    maybe not, but they're more than half the battle

Absolutely... Probably more than half the battle. My problems with the film lay in the other parts though.

dogme is it? wow, and there was i thinking of the squidillions of films coming out at the moment using hand-held dv, from tadpole and tape through full frontal and ivans xtc and a long list of others. but dogme, you say?

as fot the zooms - funnily, the director is a theatre guy. he's simply gone for the antithesis of theatre, an in your face documentary-ish style. which actually works well, if you ask me. is a simple trick, but effective.

I do say. If the influence of Dogme 95 can be seen in other films, then so be it. One of the things that made me specify Dogme was the film's use of natural light (except in the scene where Meaney beats the dealer). I stand by the original point of what I said, which is that it seemed forced. If it was a documentary style it was going for, then it failed because the camera work was all over the place.
    the clue was in the music - you were meant to laugh. it was funny.

I understand it was a funny scene. I just hated the music. I don't like how it added to the scene. I think it took away from the humour because it hammered you over the head with it.
    really?!?

I was saying what I didn't like, not what I did. I did this because most of the other posts here have been overly praising of it. There are lots of excellent elements, but other people have touched on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The short film was rubbish.

Intermission was pretty good, although I would have liked more gags and some shots of Dublin City Centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found it very enjoyable but it didn't knock I Went Down from the position of my favourite Irish Film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's a class film, darkly funny.

The way it was shot does it justice I think, Kind of raw, doesn't put anything false onto the scenes.

You should definatly see this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Brilliant film laughed the whole way through.

The short film was gas.

Only problem was the amount of times,MAN,was said in every scence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Film was class, some shocking scenes. Dont know how many times my jaw dropped.

As for the short file.. complete balls:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Seen the film tonight and thought it was very good. Didnt' think much of the short film though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

saw it last night - rest of my family thought it was rubbish but i thought it was quite good - extremely funny although a bit disgusting in places for my liking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sod

yeah yeah yeah, so did anyone try the brown sauce in tea yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Originally posted by sod
    yeah yeah yeah, so did anyone try the brown sauce in tea yet?

damn that's just what I was going to ask,
    I was very close to trying it last night but I'm more of a YR woman than Chef!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sod

Originally posted by commuterised
    damn that's just what I was going to ask,
    I was very close to trying it last night but I'm more of a YR woman than Chef!

ah no way, YR is stinkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 KK

well brown sauces sandwiches are nice so........maybe the tea wouldn't be too bad (even if the idea does make my stomach churn).

The film was great, although comparisons with Magnolia are way out, it's not as serious or as sad, but does have a kind of cool, pacy feel to it. And it is very funny in places. I really enjoyed it.

can anyone explain why ronnie means mustache?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

there was one bit where Colm Meaney's looking at his car, and the two cops are laughing at him, he bitch slaps the two of them and walks off, the looks on their faces! I nearly pissed myself! deadly file, fair enough it's no field or my left foot, but it's easily one of the best films I've seen this year (on a par with goodbye lenin in my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Saw it and REALLY enjoyed it - best irish film in years imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Dam it i knew nothing about and was running a little late to watch it, so I went into Veronica Gerwin instead ( not a bad film either ).
    I raging now I dident go and see intermission, but I had heard nothing about it till i read this thread, Dam and double dam, i`ll have to go see it now so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Great film. Went to see it in Liffey Valley on Sunday and I swear that a large section of the audience cheered every time the little lad on the bike through a brick. Hmm - no disrespect to the locals - but what does that say???

do only locals go to liffey valley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, I'm not a local, and I don't go to Liffey Valley.
    QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

pure class!! best irish film ive seen in a long long time!

both colin farrell and Colim meany were brilliant in it! absoutly fab would recomend this to anyone!!

and yea ive tried the brown sauce in the tea!! (i know it was gonna be gack but i couldnt resist :) ) its eerrgghh well its not horrible but then again its not really nice either! its a bit like marmite some people would like it some people would hate it!!
    i would deff try it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Saw this tonight and while I wouldn't say its the best irish film ever it is bloody entertaining.

The strangest thing thou watching this (in a full screen 1 of Sniffey Valley) was woman were laughing at bits that weren't really funny (must been few joints smoked before de flics).
    The sex scene with Deirdre Kane was particularly funny when she gives Oscar a box

Colin Farrell played the perfect scumbag :) The Dublin Bus drivers were bang on.

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by gandalf
    The Dublin Bus drivers were bang on.

Dublin Bus? What makes you think it's Dublin Bus :D If you look at the buses, they say "Dub Link" (or somesuch). Any similarity to the actions of Dublin Bus drivers is surely co-incidental....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

can anyone explain why ronnie means mustache?

I've no idea to the origin of the phrase, but it's always been in my Dublin slang vocabulary!

Ronnie or Tash. Almost all skangers have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Supposed to be Dub slang for a moustache from the Forties/Fifties. It referred to moustachioed movie-star Ronald Colman.

8856_0002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Heap of Shiite

'Go' anyone

Amores Perros

were much better

Storylines were bad

Written by someone who has no idea of what working class life is all about

Colin Farrell was good though

Originally posted by Wolff

Written by someone who has no idea of what working class life is all about

lol! what were you expecting, strumpet city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

No I wasnt expecting strumpet city

I was expecting from all the hype surrounding the film a decent story

well defined characters not the wafer thin ones we find in this film

Decent dialogue that I know real dublin people would provide and a level of real wit not the constant use of F*** and C***

Thats another thing how many C**** were in this film for it to earn a 15 pg

Besides most of the actors that is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement